Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: The GSI Line on 04/17/2008 09:03:24 MDT Print View

I picked up the GSI bowl/mugs originally when I got my Soloist and Dualist pan sets at the start of the year. They are indeed very nice. The ones that you can get alone or with the Dualist have a pretty cool lid system. I picked up the smaller 14 ounce sized ones as well this week (same designs, smaller than the round ones that are 20 ounce). The neoprene sleeve really does work well for insulating ones hands.
Now granted they don't lay flat but beyond that...I have been lured away from my Ti cup (I prefer plastic cups to drink out of). Most of the cooking videos I am shooting now have the mug/bowls in them, they have measurement lines inside as well!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Ramen - amounts on 04/17/2008 09:05:02 MDT Print View

If you have the small imported Asian packages you would need 2 to fill up an adult. American ramen is much bigger overall.

The secret to using 2 cups water to cook ramen in a bag is add the water, seal and start gently rolling the bag, till the ramen softens up and plops down into the water. Then you can cozy it!

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Using Steam Bags on 04/17/2008 15:16:19 MDT Print View

What the?!? Why in all of god's green earth had I not thought of that? Use something designed for that temperature, and designed to 'handle' steam as well? Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!

PS - Do you have problems with the 'vents' that Glad and Ziploc both mention leaking liquid at all?

*walks away mumbling to self about how stupid self is for not seeing it before now...*

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Using Steam Bags on 04/17/2008 16:12:03 MDT Print View

From what I have been hearing they steamer bags work great. To the point I started making cozies for them! (The steamer bags are shaped to the same size as freezer bags in the UK are). If you are doing a two person meal, the extra room is great, as is the "bowl" the bag makes.

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
Re: Re: Using Steam Bags on 04/17/2008 18:05:20 MDT Print View

Are these things available in the US?
Never heard of such a thing.
I'll have a look next time I'm at the grocery.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Using Steam Bags on 04/17/2008 19:34:42 MDT Print View

Yep, look for them in the freezer bag section, both by Glad and Ziploc. They are not cheap though!!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Chicken flavored tea on 04/17/2008 21:50:53 MDT Print View

Back in the BUL (Before Ultra Light) days I would use boil in the bag Brown Rice and make tea with the left over rice-gluten-laden water. Tasted like Cr@% but certainly did stick to one's ribs.

Kenneth Reppart
(kreppart) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Using Steam Bags on 04/18/2008 00:30:36 MDT Print View

I've heard about the steam bags too but the Ziploc Zip'n Steam bags (size medium) don't have the gusseted bottoms. Can anyone confirm whether the Glad version does?

twig .
(bretthartwig) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Steam Lock bags for cooking on 04/18/2008 01:59:13 MDT Print View

In Australia we have Glad small size which are 20x18cm, they have no gusset in them. There is a small steam vent on either side, just below the snap lock, so you would want to keep them upright. A note on them says "do not exceed 120 degrees celsius - should be fine for boiling water. I stand mine up in an orikaso bowl, so leaking is not an issue. They are quite a stiff film and don't sag as much as a normal snaplock, or aloksaks when boiling water is poured in them. I have tried another brand with gussets, they were almost like a double layer of plastic, but prefer these as there it is easier to get food out of. They weigh about the same as a normal snap lock bag, definitely less than an aloksak .Here is a link to the ones I use

http://www.glad.com.au/gladProducts/foodDetails.asp?pID=21

Edited by bretthartwig on 04/18/2008 02:06:11 MDT.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Steam Bags $$ and Gussets on 04/18/2008 09:12:34 MDT Print View

1) The glad ones appear to have gussets. I need to actually put my hands on some to confirm, though.

2) Yeah they're pricey, but not horrendously so. Looks like ~ $0.40 per bag...

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Try orza pasta on 04/18/2008 11:24:59 MDT Print View

In my TiGoat 550 pot I can cook 1.25cups of water, add 3/4 cup of orza pasta, and have just enough room to stir in olive oil and paramazan cheese. Really sticks to the ribs too. The orza pasta cooks in about 15 minutes if using a good cozy.

All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions.

Steve

Edited by geokite on 04/20/2008 10:20:21 MDT.

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
Re: Try orza pasta on 04/18/2008 16:10:11 MDT Print View

> All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions. -Steve

I bet it lasts longer too! Did you use glue or tape?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Steam Bags $$ and Gussets on 04/18/2008 16:21:50 MDT Print View

Yep, the Glad ones have a bottom gusset, I use the bags to steam veggies often!

And yes, not all cozies are equal ;-) I'd like to think I make the best ones..lol! (Ok, maybe not....)

Mark Bishop
(mark_b) - MLife

Locale: Northwest (WA)
Steam Bags $$ and Gussets on 04/18/2008 19:02:12 MDT Print View

Sarah,
I'd be curious to know if you're able to re-use these bags several times?

I found these at my local supermarket today and they were on sale - buy 1 box of 10 bags for $3.99 and get 1 box for free.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Steam Bags $$ and Gussets on 04/18/2008 21:00:54 MDT Print View

Sounds like a plan for this weekend ;-) Heh! Testing "gear" is what life is all about, no?

Jon Christensen
(JonnyC)

Locale: Midwest
Re: Steam Bags $$ and Gussets on 04/18/2008 21:29:56 MDT Print View

I used the steam bag a few weekends ago. I used it three times and it was fine. However when I was washing it out with water, I must have had to much water weight in it and the top of the bag ripped off. If I would not have done that I could have still used it. I was happy with how they worked.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Glue on 04/19/2008 10:37:02 MDT Print View

>> All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions. -Steve

>I bet it lasts longer too! Did you use glue or tape?

Used 5 minute epoxy, the 2 part kind. Hold parts in place on wax paper for a while. The foam is similar to the GG foam, but with a slick surface. Instead of a lid that is an inset into the body, the lid wraps around the top rim. So the sides of the lid need to slide along the body, so super-grip GG foam will not work very well. I get my foam at an upholstry supply store.

Pics at http://www.pbase.com/geokite/cozy

Cheers
Steve

William Brokob
(Obiwan) - F
Back on topic :-) on 08/06/2008 14:13:27 MDT Print View

600 ml is equal to 20.27 oz....so you can easily rehydrate a double MH meal

Yes, you will need to add some water back into the mug for your drink...but how big of a deal is that?

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Back on topic :-) on 08/06/2008 18:19:37 MDT Print View

Mountain House 2 serving bags are usually 2 cups (~500ml). Backpackers Pantry has some that are 2.5 cups. For these, I've just tossed a half cup of whatever is in the bottle, then add 2 cups boiling water. It has no adverse effect and it's easier than having to go back and boil a half cup. I'm liking it even more since preparing my own stuff before going out into the sticks. It's easier to cook for a 600ml when you plan for it. Oatmeal, granola, powdered soups, pasta, dehydrated meat/veggies. More ease in cooking outdoors and better for you to eat too!

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml? on 08/06/2008 18:25:44 MDT Print View

"Hum ... wait until you taste your tea in the Decor container after it has had onion soup in it ... Sigh!"

Roger,
You haven't lived until you've noticed a hint of tomato and herb in your Earl Grey. Surprise! Even the added bergamot won't hide it.

Chris