Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
mummy sleeping bag...center zip?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
mummy sleeping bag...center zip? on 04/14/2008 09:17:23 MDT Print View

ok, i have a military surplus intermediate mummy sleeping bag and i love that thing so much!-my home away from home!

but, the darn thing is heavy, big, and bulky!!!

so, does anyone know of a mummy sleeping bag for a decent price...THAT HAS A CENTER ZIPPER! i want a center zipper just like my old sleeping bag...can anyone help me out?

Brian Markey
(bmlaw) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Feathered friends on 04/14/2008 09:24:14 MDT Print View

The feathered friends rock wren has a center zipper. I have no experience with it, however. See it here: http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Center Zip Mummy on 04/14/2008 09:26:34 MDT Print View

Here's one solution to "big, bulky & heavy".

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/alpinist.htm

I'm not sure it's what you'd call "reasonably priced", but the reviews of this manufacturers quilts & bags all seem to say what great quality and performance they have...

ps: Their ARC quilts are even more convenient than center zip bags if you don't thrash around in your sleep and cause drafts (or if you use a bivy to prevent the drafts).

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
heres the deal on 04/14/2008 09:40:39 MDT Print View

well, first of all, i use a hennessy hammock...if that matters much.

and secondly and most importantly...i'm an 18 year old kid headed off to college (yeah, sob story) and i have next to nothing for money already...i bought that military surplus bag for $30! i would need one heck of a deal on a used one! maybe i'll just have to suck it up, get a compression bag and carry it?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Center Zip Mummy on 04/14/2008 10:17:47 MDT Print View

Go-lite makes center zips aswell.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProductByCategory.aspx?mc=7&s=1

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: heres the deal on 04/14/2008 10:21:59 MDT Print View

Alex,

What's the coldest and warmest temp range you expect to encounter?

What are you doing for insulation under you when hammocking?

how big and how heavy is the current bag?

Edited by jcolten on 04/14/2008 10:22:41 MDT.

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
heres all i know so far on 04/14/2008 10:27:16 MDT Print View

Temps- I'm in south dakota so i will be camping 3 seasons out of the year...anywhere from 10 degrees F to 80 degrees F

I'm not sure how heavy my bag is...i don't think i'd be off by saying it is over 5 pounds...

i am 6'2" tall and weigh 240lbs...so its a fairly large bag

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Hammock Quilt on 04/14/2008 11:10:39 MDT Print View

For hammock use on a budget, I'd suggest looking at the Ray-Way quilt, with Alpine upgrade (for 3 season use). $85 total. (http://www.ray-way.com/php/order-form.php)

Quilt are more versitile than a bag (can be ventilated easier in hot weather, plus accomidate warm clothing underneath easier in cold weather. Bag's are generally a little warmer than quilts when sleeping on the ground since bags have no breeze issues (quilt users can just add a bivy to eliminate drafts though). In a hammock, there is no problem with drafts blowing under the edges of the quilt.

Later, you could make a 2nd one to use as an underquilt for the colder shoulder seasons when you lose a lot of heat from the bottom of the hammock. Much warmer than a sleeping bag since you aren't laying on the insulation and compressing it.

The synthetic quilts don't pack as small as down, but they are easy to make yourself ! You can also buy materials at Thru-hiker.com or OWFINC.com if you don't need a kit / pattern.

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
keep in mind on 04/14/2008 12:20:53 MDT Print View

i will keep that in mind...i guess i'm just really more comfortable having a bag

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
More Army Gear on 04/14/2008 17:48:29 MDT Print View

Alex,
You may want to looks at an Army poncho liner. Just a thin sheet of polyester with polyester insulation quilted in.

You could also see if you could find just the inner bag of the Army ECWCS sleep system. I think it is good down to about 40 degrees by itself.

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
convert bag to quilt maybe? on 04/14/2008 20:14:21 MDT Print View

Maybe you can hack up the bag to make it a quilt and cut a significant amount of weight and bulk from it.

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
quilts on 04/14/2008 21:16:26 MDT Print View

i don't really understand these quilts...am i missing somehting here...is it really just a blanket you wrap around yourself?

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Re: mummy sleeping bag...center zip? / Alex, here you go.. on 04/14/2008 21:55:30 MDT Print View

Alex,
I know what you mean; I spent many comfortable nights in one of those old canvas/down bags. But they are heavy..
Here's one of the modern replacements: with center zip of course:
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_special_forces_1_sleeping_bag/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=USA&currency=USD&country=USA

I own three models of Snugpak in pertex; and highly recommend them.

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: quilts on 04/14/2008 23:37:47 MDT Print View

- "i don't really understand these quilts...am i missing somehting here...is it really just a blanket you wrap around yourself?"

Sort of like a blanket, and sort of like cutting the handle off your toothbrush.

Actually, quilts are more like a mummy bag without the bottom. Most have sewn foot boxes like sleeping bags. Quilts are usually just missing the hood, and the fabric/insulation that you would crush under your body.

Quilt advantages include 1) lighter; and 2) easier to vent when it's warm. However, they usually require head protection for cold weather, and a bivy is nice to help manage wind.

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 04/14/2008 23:38:26 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: mummy sleeping bag...center zip? / Alex, here you go.. on 04/15/2008 06:25:52 MDT Print View

Snugpak are great, their factory is close to where I live too. There's another synthetic bag in your temp range which offers more versatility though.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/wallcreeper_pl.html

There is also a warmer and lighter down version.

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
thanks guys! on 04/15/2008 07:24:47 MDT Print View

hey, thanks for all the help and all the options!

i appreciate it!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: mummy sleeping bag...center zip? on 04/15/2008 20:31:51 MDT Print View

You might also want to check out the LuxuryLite V-bag
http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html

$165 for a down bag with center zip that you can also trun over and use as a "quilt" in warmer weather. Sounds ideal for your intended uses.

Alex Heesch
(heescha) - F
thanks on 04/15/2008 21:37:24 MDT Print View

alright...thanks for all the advice guys! this is got to be the greatest hiking site!