Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Summer Colorado yo-yo
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
Summer Colorado yo-yo on 04/10/2008 11:55:45 MDT Print View

I'm going to be doing a solo yo-yo of sorts on the Colorado Trail this summer. I'll be starting out on the Denver end early morning on July 11th hiking 25-30 miles a day. When I reach Durango I'll turn around and head back north, this time following the Continental Divide Trail until I reach Rocky Mountain National Park on August 21, where I'll be picked up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else will be doing either trail around this time.

EDIT: I will now be starting on July 14th.

Edited by Legkohod on 06/26/2008 03:57:36 MDT.

Scott Carpenter
(Sjeepboy) - F
Colorado Trail on 05/13/2008 19:50:56 MDT Print View

I am also considering doing the Colorado Trail this summer but at a much slower pace of about 10miles a day. I have backpacked around Colorado for the last 15 years. I do not know the level of your physical fitness but with a full pack 25 miles a day will be really difficult. Even with a light daypack of 20 pounds you will really have to push yourself to do that kind of mileage especially at 12-13000 feet. Best of luck and if I can offer you any assistance feel free to E-Mail me at Sjeepboy@aol.com

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 05/14/2008 10:04:45 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 20:01:14 MST.

Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
Colorado Trail on 05/21/2008 16:06:11 MDT Print View

Finally some replies! And I just found the "watch this thread" feature. Thanks for the responses. I've downgraded my mileage expectations to about 24 miles a day, which is realistic based on my pre-hike training (I've been building up to this summer for a few months already). One thing that I can't seem to find is a guidebook to the Colorado section of the Continental Divide Trail... Anyone have any info on that?

For resupply, I'm planning to do just 2 or 3 at the closest mail pick-ups along the way and stay in the backcountry as much as possible. I've found some good info on resupply points, but I don't know if they apply to the CDT as well.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 05/21/2008 16:28:34 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 20:01:46 MST.