Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Isle Royale in late June
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Adams
(scsjohn) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Isle Royale in late June on 04/07/2008 19:32:28 MDT Print View

Has anyone visited Isle Royale in late June? If so, were you miserable or did you find a way to survive the bugs?

Steve Parr
(srparr) - F

Locale: SE Michigan
Been there in early July ... on 04/07/2008 20:17:03 MDT Print View

LOL, I think I just answered this question for you on PBF ... but I'll post it here too in case others are interested.

I haven't visited in late June ... but I have been there the first week or two of July for the last few years.

I understand that the black flies peak in June, but they are basically gone by early July. In early July the mosquitoes are in full swing. Fortunately, they respond to DEET, and I've also had success with the Picaridin in Cutter's. That said, I usually minimize the chemicals by relying on long sleeves and a bug net when they are swarming.

I would definitely bring a head net in June. Black flies don't seem to care about DEET, and if they are swarming when you are there it will be miserable without protection.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Isle Royale in late June on 04/08/2008 10:09:28 MDT Print View

I visited the Island in early June, 2006 and the bugs had some members of our hiking party absolutely at wit's end. Obviously it varies from year to year.

The site below is THE definitive Isle Royale resource. You'll find some good answers/advice there.

http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/

Enjoy,
Sam

John Adams
(scsjohn) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
thanks on 04/08/2008 16:50:18 MDT Print View

Thanks Steve and Sam!