Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Repackaging 4g Esbit Tabs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Repackaging 4g Esbit Tabs on 04/05/2008 20:39:09 MDT Print View

If you are like me, and use the 4g Esbit tabs (2 at a time), nothing makes you more irate then the open packaging that they come in. Esbit crumbs everywhere, handling them with your hands...worry no longer....

Required Materials:
materials

Mount the laminate in the machine and place backing paper and tablets on vacuum packaging machine surface
paper

Turn on heat lamps, you'll know when the laminate is ready when it sags a few inches
Turn it on

The vacuum sucks the laminate tight over the tablets
Laminate pulled tight

Remove the tablets embedded in the laminate
remove material

The finished tablets are cut into small squares and ready to roll
Finished tablets

The backings didn't want to stay on, so I removed them and decided to try some packaging tape
Remove backings

The finished product is air tight and packaged nicely
Finished Product

Enjoy!!!

Edited by Steve_Evans on 04/05/2008 21:16:09 MDT.

Michael Mangold
(mkmangold) - F
Food saver on 04/09/2008 22:07:01 MDT Print View

How would they be "airtight?" More like watertight, right?
Couldn't you do the same with a Foodsaver and make them truly airtight?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Food saver on 04/11/2008 07:52:15 MDT Print View

My apologies Michael - they are not air tight, as I took the backing off and replaced it. They are, as you stated, watertight. In reality, you could achieve the same results with a foodsaver, or even just putting them in tiny ziplock bags...but it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I had been thinking about doing this...and for some reason I thought I would share my work of art with the backpacking community ;)
I had expected thousands of responses about how this was cutting edge technology, and eventually recieving boxes and boxes of tiny Esbit tabs to repackage for the world. I could quit my job and live off the profits! :)

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: Food saver on 04/15/2008 08:55:31 MDT Print View

"They are, as you stated, watertight. In reality, you could achieve the same results with a foodsaver, or even just putting them in tiny ziplock bags...but it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I had been thinking about doing this...and for some reason I thought I would share my work of art with the backpacking community ;)"

Not to mention brag about the cool tools you have access to, eh? ;)

And, yes, I'm jealous. :D