Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Calculating your Cardiac Output...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Calculating your Cardiac Output... on 04/02/2008 20:20:47 MDT Print View

Does anyone know how to calculate your cardiac output? Of course, without being in a labratory, it's going to be an estimate at best.

(I'm searching for things on google, but you never know what you are going to get from the internet).

Edited by splproductions on 04/02/2008 20:29:19 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Calculating your Cardiac Output... on 04/02/2008 20:24:16 MDT Print View

"Stroke Volume" or "VO2Max" ?

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Stats... on 04/02/2008 20:33:18 MDT Print View

I think my Physiology prof. said VO2 max was really hard to calculate. Do you know a way?

I need to know stroke volume for my test next week....
Stroke Volume would be "End Diastolic Volume - End Systolic Volume", but I don't know how to calculate EDV and ESV.

Cardiac Output, or the amount of blood that gets pushed through your body in one minute, is what I am looking for. Average male at rest is 5L. It can get up to 30L/min for elite athletes.

Edited by splproductions on 04/02/2008 20:41:54 MDT.

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Stroke Volume... on 04/02/2008 20:37:56 MDT Print View

I think in order to calculate one of the steps for CO, you need to know SV.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Stats... on 04/02/2008 20:53:06 MDT Print View

"I think my Physiology prof. said VO2 max was really hard to calculate. Do you know a way?"

Ryan,
I do not. But Google "joe friel" and "vo2 max" to get some ideas. Typically it is quantitativly found in a lab, monitoring respiration gases as levels of exertion go to max. For a cyclist it's associated heart rate is a percentage of HR max., but that doesn't lead to "52 L/min.".

Good Luck.

Michael Chamoun
(snowchief) - F

Locale: SoCal
VO2 Max on 04/03/2008 10:14:19 MDT Print View

To be most accurate you need to run on a treadmill in a lab with all the necessary equipment etc.
There is a rough estimate way of getting VO2 Max and that is running 1.5 miles and using time and pluggin it in a formula.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Calculating your Cardiac Output... on 04/03/2008 12:03:50 MDT Print View

this is a general guide based on running times, but is derived from lots of research and stats:
http://www.runnersweb.com/running/vo2.shtml