Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Adventure Racing info...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Adventure Racing info... on 04/01/2008 16:28:47 MDT Print View

The thought of adventure racing intrigues me... I'd like to set a goal (a ways off from now) to do one, or many.

Has anyone read "The Complete Guide to Adventure Racing"? Any books you would recommend?

Obviously I know nothing about it all and want to get my feet wet.

Michael Neal
(michaeltnVA) - F
ar on 04/02/2008 07:32:39 MDT Print View

I have thought about starting adventure racing as well here in Northern Virginia.

here is a good site I found about getting started
http://www.wwadventurerace.com/

Edited by michaeltnVA on 04/02/2008 07:34:06 MDT.

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Adventure Racing Info on 04/11/2008 09:58:49 MDT Print View

I'm in the same boat; I love backpacking, trailrunning, bicycling, and kayaking, have done all of them for years, but not at what I'd call competitive levels of athleticism. I've not entered the fray because of being unsure of the base level of fitness required to be a meaningful team member.

I'm definitely looking for books as well - the Ultimate Guide to Adventure Racing gets good marks at Amazon, as do the Complete Guide and a couple of others.

Being an utter novice, too, I am considering joining a local group (here in the SF Bay Area it's BAARBD - Bay Area Adventure Racing Babes n Dudes) to learn more...heck, for kayak rentals and gear buying the membership will pay for itself! :-)

Anyone with experience care to chime in to guide us along?

Best,
-N

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
a couple of links on 04/15/2008 11:47:14 MDT Print View

www.irule.co.nz and www.altdirt.com, both always have great training and race tactics information, the irule product line which is featured there is top notch, but the real gem is the training stuff.