Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Alcohol stove for mug
Display Avatars Sort By:
S P
(HighAltitude) - F
Alcohol stove for mug on 03/31/2008 19:47:50 MDT Print View

What kind of alcohol stoves are you using for small 500-600ml mugs. Like the brasslite, BPL SUL, peak etc....

Something small enough that will fit in the mug and boil 1.5-2 cups of water would be nice.

I have been thinking about making a top burner/rivit nut stove out of some small v8 cans but am curious what others are using.

Edited by HighAltitude on 03/31/2008 19:52:43 MDT.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Re:Alcohol stove for mug / trail designs on 03/31/2008 19:59:38 MDT Print View

Best choice in my opinion is the Trail Designs stove with integrated Caldera Cone (which acts as windscreen, and cup support). In mug size, I have one for my SP 450 and SP 600.
Roll the cone up into a plastic cup for protection, or slide it flat into your backpack hydration pocket.
They also have titanium models which are multi-fuel compatible.
And maybe make a few types on your own so you can appreciate the design tradeoffs of an open jet or pressurized type.

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
RE: "Alcohol stove for mug" on 03/31/2008 20:09:46 MDT Print View

I use a minibulldesign.com Nion 2 with a Heini pot and it works very well. It focuses the flame on the center of the pot so it works very well for small diameter pots (or mugs).

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Alcohol stove for mug on 03/31/2008 20:26:31 MDT Print View

I have used one of sgt rock's ion stoves. I have found it very fuel efficient but very slow.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Alcohol stove for mug on 04/06/2008 18:02:05 MDT Print View

I too am looking for a good alcohol stove for smaller mug cooking. I have a vargo triad ti stove that works well for pot cooking but is not designed well for mug cooking. The flame spreads too much and the legs fold out too wide to hold a mug securely. I'm ready to try a new stove. Is minibull the way to go, if so which model is the best?

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
You mean like this? on 04/06/2008 20:28:17 MDT Print View

GW PRO w/ 22oz mugGW w/ 12 oz mug

The 1st is the Gram Weenie PRO w/ a 22 oz IMUSA mug, the 2nd is the original Gram Weenie w/ a 12 oz IMUSA mug.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Shameless Promotion on 04/06/2008 20:49:49 MDT Print View

This might fit the bill http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiMicrotus.html

Ti Microtus

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Ti Microtus on 04/06/2008 21:43:07 MDT Print View

Holy cow, that looks awesome! Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Need any testers? ;)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Alcohol stove for mug on 04/06/2008 21:58:01 MDT Print View

Hi Josh
I have just noticed that the 550ml TiTri is also ready for sale (I must have missed your announcement..........)
Have you done any comparison between the Microtus and this one ?
Franco

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Alcohol stove for mug on 04/07/2008 08:54:47 MDT Print View

Josh,

1) Kudos on that Microtus...

2) Man, that Tri-Ti is right on the money for an alternate size...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Alcohol Stove for Mug on 04/07/2008 09:14:16 MDT Print View

Just stay away from pressurized side burners. In other words, pretty much any narrow, non-pressurized top burner stove will work. An example is a small size cat food can, with a wire cloth jammed in to work as "integrated" pot stand. I cut and folded down small pieces of the can top to keep the wire cloth in place. I also cut one small piece and folded it at a 90 degree angle (i.e. "flat"). When lighting, I squirt one drop of alcohol onto the flat piece and light the stove from there.

Rolling boil for 1 pint of water takes about 0.7 ounces of alcohol and about 6-7 minutes.

a

Since making the above, I've made another one using a wedding tin. It's slightly narrower than the above cat food can, but still holds up to an ounce of alcohol. Thanks for the tin, Jason Klass! :)

Edited by ben2world on 04/07/2008 09:21:22 MDT.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Brasslite on 04/07/2008 10:38:23 MDT Print View

I've been using a Brasslite stove for a couple of years with good, dependable results. Some other designs are certainly lighter and perhaps a touch quicker, but it's a well constructed, reliable little stove (and the brass construction appeals to the Victorian in me.)

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Alcohol stove for mug on 04/07/2008 18:36:59 MDT Print View

Franco

As for comparisons, I can say performance between the two is close under ideal conditions. When it comes to wind, the Caldera will win out most times, especially with users not willing to fuss with supervision. Ultimately the bigger decision between the two, seems to come down to preference. I've been using Calderas exclusively for two years, and love them, but when it comes to packing my Amp, the Microtus is my choice.

Ben

You said it the best, top burners for mugs.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Alcohol stove for mug on 04/07/2008 20:29:38 MDT Print View

Thanks Josh.
I read that as "when you use the Amp, use the Microtus, when using the Circuit switch to the TiTri".
I hope that you have sent one of them to Brian for providing the correct packs for them...
OK, my decision now.
Franco

Norm O'Neill
(nclaytn) - F
Alcohol stove for mug on 04/07/2008 23:34:57 MDT Print View

The best alcohol stove for mug type pots is the Universalight from Speed Of Ultralight Gear. It's an open top jet burner with a built in pot support. It also works with most all other pots as well. It's one of the most fuel efficient alcohol stoves out there and weighs less than 1oz. The windscreen that comes with it is really nice too. The stove along with the windscreen weighs about 2oz.
Check out http://www.speedofultralightgear.com

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Alcohol stove for mug on 04/08/2008 01:16:25 MDT Print View

That Speed Of Ultralight stove is new to me, and so are you. What a coincidence !
Franco

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Alcohol stove for mug on 04/08/2008 01:56:10 MDT Print View

Whois said

Domain name: speedofultralightgear.com

Registrant Contact:

Norman O'Neill

Lol!

shawn weld
(Spoon) - F

Locale: NorthEast
Alcohol Stove for Mug on 04/08/2008 04:36:06 MDT Print View

I use a MiniBullDesign Elite#2 ($10.00) with a snow peak 600 mug.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Alcohol stove for mug on 04/08/2008 15:22:52 MDT Print View

I use the whitebox stove with either a Can pot or a Snow Peak 600 ml cup.

It works very well with either.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 04/11/2008 18:31:13 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 15:03:35 MST.