Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ryan's mystery pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mathieu Fagnan
(MFagnan)
Ryan's mystery pack on 09/14/2005 05:42:51 MDT Print View

I would just like to know if anybody or Ryan himself can tell me what pack he is wearing on the Schoolroom galcier picture in the upper right corner of the main BPL web page.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/14/2005 12:18:18 MDT Print View

It almost looks like a Kelty Cloud, but I can't believe Ryan wearing a 4.5 pound pack.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/14/2005 14:12:55 MDT Print View

saw the picture once a while ago. i thought that it being all white might be a prototype of a new BMW pack made of spectra. however, i don't have a clear recollection of what the pack looks like.

Jon Solomon
(areality) - F - MLife

Locale: Lyon/Taipei
Re: Re: RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/14/2005 19:00:17 MDT Print View

The pack in the picture looks just like the photo of the pack that was on the old BMW website.

A few years ago, before BPL got started, Ryan's BMW was making highly-specialized full spectra mountaineering packs. Sometime after that Ryan had Dan McHale make him a pack. If my memory serves me well, I remember that Ryan once posted a line to the effect that McHale's packs really do make a difference--and, he emphasized, that opinion was coming from someone who reckoned he had designed one of the best internal frame packs possible.

I was lucky to get Dan to make me an elaborate Summit Pack (approx 2500 cu in.) from full spectra (heck, even the thread is spectra!) that weighs 23 oz. with stays and hipbelt. My main go-to pack these days, it carries well and just won't quit!

Like everybody else, I'm interested in the new Rapture packs, as well as just about every other upcoming BMW design. Especially those PGD quilts. Nobody is asking about those. Aren't they supposed to come up soon?

Edited by areality on 09/14/2005 19:01:40 MDT.

Mathieu Fagnan
(MFagnan)
Re: Re: Re: RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/14/2005 19:21:28 MDT Print View

I also can't wait to see the BMW packs. I am in the market for a very light large (60l)and strong pack to cary +/- 30 pounds. Thinking about the Golite Gust, dreaming about a McHale (it's some serious cash)... so I was curious about hte pack in the picture.

Does anybody own a Kelty Cloud 5250 and know the minimum weight of it (pack only)?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
BMW's polarguard quilts on 09/14/2005 19:28:40 MDT Print View

Jon, people have been asking about them, I'm somewhat interested in them. But no word from the good doctor--and he's just off on an adventure. Ryan did report on another thread, just before he signed off, that the latest prototype of the Rapture was being worked on (and possibly being tested by)
Brian of ULA but was some months off to being ready for market.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/17/2005 07:36:01 MDT Print View

Kelty Cloud - on sale (still big $$$) - full pack wt. is listed = 4lb 7oz, but like the Kelty Satori, many things can be removed to lower the weight. (Satori 5500/5750 = 5lb 12oz can be reduced all the way down to 2lb 2oz)- don't know about the Cloud - don't own one) - CLICK THIS LINK (link changed at least once since orginal post. link is now updating and at time of last edit was working)

Edited by pj on 09/18/2005 01:49:35 MDT.

(Anonymous)
Re: Re: Re: RE: Ryan's mystery pack on 09/17/2005 19:23:14 MDT Print View

When do Ryan's new packs come out?