Platypus- OK to use as flask?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Seth Ayotte
(sethayot) - F

Locale: Western Oregon
Platypus- OK to use as flask? on 03/20/2008 13:26:57 MDT Print View

I know a lot of people here use Platypus lil nippers for alcohol fuel storage, my question is- is there any reason that these containers should not be used to store hard alcohol for backcountry consumption? If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
Seth

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: Platypus- OK to use as flask? on 03/20/2008 13:46:37 MDT Print View

I put Creme de Menthe (for my girlfriend's hot chocolate) in a Platy .5L bag last summer, and my water still tastes minty fresh when I hike. Like mouthwash, really.

This might not be a problem with vodka, but it sure was with that stuff. It was a 7-day trip, though...

Andrew Richard
(fairweather8588) - F

Locale: The Desert
flask, hard alcohols best friend on 03/20/2008 14:09:06 MDT Print View

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10

these are a safe and cheaper alternative to the big name brand style. I have several sizes and have no complaints. Using Jack Daniel's and Wild Turkey in them for months... they will hold a flavor and smell but do not taste like plastic. 3 for the price of one Platypus.

Rob Blazoff
(Genetic) - F

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.
CD on 03/20/2008 14:12:48 MDT Print View

Platypus made a stadium kit that had 4 small (.5L IIRC) platy bottles in a zippered nylon pouch. It was heavily implied that it was for booze.

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
re:Platy Lil Nippers on 03/20/2008 16:42:19 MDT Print View

You can use them to carry your stove fuel??

I always thought they were for carrying 15y/o Glenfiddich single malt scotch.

The only trouble I have found with them is that at 0.5 L, they're too small!

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
Farewell Lil Nipper on 03/20/2008 19:45:07 MDT Print View

Platy still makes the .5L, the Lil Nipper was actually smaller. But since the Lil Nippers are all gone now (thanks to myself and a shipment of some 40 odd to my BPL bothers and sisters), it's the Easy Traveler and the Platy .5L as your only choices.

I don't notice any change in taste to my Glenfiddich (cheers brother!) from the Platy material. But anything with a flavor will immediately lay claim to the Platy bottle and that will transfer to other liquids.

cheers,
-Michael "sawchuck"

Edited by uberkatzen on 03/20/2008 19:53:40 MDT.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Platypus- OK to use as flask? on 03/20/2008 21:18:31 MDT Print View

Yes, you can uase the lil nippers. I normally use the 2 liter ones, but to each their own. Hey...what did you call me?