Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Yellowstone / Beartooths Trek
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bryan Redd
(lucylab) - F
Ryan, your water bottle selection? on 10/04/2005 06:54:31 MDT Print View

Ryan,

Thanks for the detailed trip report and the photos. Beautiful fish.

Please shed some light on your preference of the Platypus water bottles vs. the wide-mouth 1L flexible Nalgene.

I have found I like the wide-mouth feature of the Nalgene. Thus, I'm curious what features and qualities you like (or find preferable) in the Platypus narrow mouth 1L bottles.

Thanks.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Yellowstone/ Beartooths Trek. on 10/04/2005 11:11:17 MDT Print View

Ryan,

When you get a chance could you post your “Yellowstone Trip Gear List” under

“The Gear List Forum” for reference.

Thanks,

FastWalker

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Platypus vs Nalgene on 10/04/2005 23:20:26 MDT Print View

Ryan,
Bryan asked:

"Please shed some light on your preference of the Platypus water bottles vs. the wide-mouth 1L flexible Nalgene.

I have found I like the wide-mouth feature of the Nalgene. Thus, I'm curious what features and qualities you like (or find preferable) in the Platypus narrow mouth 1L bottles."
===============================

Hi Bryan, I am not Ryan but let me venture a guess. Weight - Weight - Weight. If you check you will see that the Nalgene 1 and 1.5 L bottles are twice or more heavier than the 1 L Platypus bottle. The Platypus 1 L weighs .9oz. One other reason might be is that the side pockets on Ryan's pack seem to be short and the Nalgene bottles are tall, 11" to 12.9". I could of course be totally wrong.

I like the Nalgene wide mouth bottles but at what cost in added weight will I carry one or two of them.
I have my SUL Gravity Water Filter (3.6oz) so I just put the tube from the filter into the small mouth on my 1L platypus bottles and fill them up with water that is ready to drink.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Platypus vs Nalgene on 10/05/2005 00:19:35 MDT Print View

Will the real Dr. Ryan Jordan please stand up!

I'm not Dr. J either. (he's back out in Yellowstone until, i believe, 6-Oct or thereabouts - acc. to an email i rcv'd fr/BPL's Cust. Srv. Director).

Richard is spot on. "Weight-Weight-Weight". Couldn't put it any clearer.

So what, possibly, do the Nalgene Cantenes have going for them?

Nalgene Cantenes are often used in cold weather due to the relative ease of removing the larger diameter top if water freezes in the threads of the cap/bottle top. In this application, their added weight penalty is negated by their ability to more easily refill the bottle. Still a good idea to dry the threads of cap and bottle before replacing cap. This does NOT mean you must use a Cantene in winter instead of a Platypus, but just that many people prefer to use them in winter.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Platypus vs Nalgene on 10/05/2005 01:26:13 MDT Print View

Hi Paul. Did I miss something??

"Richard is spot on. "Weight-Weight-Weight". Couldn't put it any clearer." ???????????????????

By the way Paul, I am working a version of a "Summit" pack. It will be mostly Cuben Fiber to bring the weight down and will look a little like the pack Ryan used on his Yellowstone/Beartooths Trek. It will be more or less the size he listed. I am thinking about calling it "el Pequeno" or something like that.

Edited by bfornshell on 10/05/2005 09:33:13 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Platypus vs Nalgene on 10/05/2005 02:36:07 MDT Print View

Bill,

my apologies. no, you didn't miss something, ...but i sure did. was also reading a post by Richard that i was thinking of replying to (and ended up doing so - now, i need to make sure that Richard did write the other one i replied to).

sorry. so, let me say it again, correctly this time: Bill, you were spot on with your comments.

Perfecto, muy beuno - good name for the pack. or, perhaps La Ligera? (and ??? for my Spanish).

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Bill's pack on 10/05/2005 07:16:28 MDT Print View

Bill - not that I have to tell you this, but pictures will be mandatory ;)

Ben

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Ryan's water bottles on 10/08/2005 13:33:15 MDT Print View

Bryan, weight weight weight! as they said.

And collapsibility. They roll up just so dang nice.

I do carry Nalgene cantenes with wide mouths in the winter - never a zip or narrow mouth platy - recipe for disaster when it comes to the cold/ice.

My water bottles did freeze up. They were a pain to recover, but that only happened once - the other nights I kept them right at the side of my bivy where there was enough heat to keep them from freezing.

Bryan Redd
(lucylab) - F
Platy water bottles: clarification? on 10/09/2005 22:18:51 MDT Print View

OK guys I note the 1+ oz delta between the Platy and the Nalgene.

Which Platy bottles do you prefer: the "bottle" or the "reservoir"? The latter is actually a tad lighter I believe.

Cheers,
Thanks.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Ryan's water bottles on 10/11/2005 04:24:19 MDT Print View

I have a friend who dislikes sweat and insects so much that his camping season starts in October and ends in April (in MN)

He has a 2 part tactic for not freezing water bottles overnight:

1) he sleeps with a couple bottles filled with hot water inside his bag

2) he brings an extra blue foam pad and uses it to line a hole in a pile of snow, places bottles inside with tops down, closes the top with a scrap of blue foam and pile more snow on top. I don't recall how warm that water is.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Yellowstone Trek on 10/11/2005 18:22:54 MDT Print View

Wow Ryan you are a trooper!!! Even with cold wet feet it sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Thanks for the trip info. As someone once told me, "The worst day hiking is still better than your best day in the office". I will take that any day.

James Augustine
(chirodr) - F

Locale: Southern California
durability of nano tarps on 10/18/2005 02:10:24 MDT Print View

Hi Ryan:

Long time no talk. How was / is the durability during heavy rain or hail? I've been on 2 trips in heavy rain / hail and what a scary ride!

Thanks so much,

Jim Augustine

Tony Burnett
(tlbj6142) - F

Locale: OH--IO
Quilt SS size? on 10/21/2005 11:43:56 MDT Print View

Way, way back in the first post picture #23 you mention your stuff sack armada. I don't see one listed that holds your quilt? Is that what is in the larger SS (I assume a Size M)?

I'm about to make a 3D quilt for winter hiking (~2.5" loft) and I'm trying to figure out how small of a stuff sack to use without damaging the insulation. 500ci?

Ryan Jordan

Re: Quilt SS size? on 10/22/2005 00:45:10 MDT Print View

>> Way, way back in the first post picture #23 you mention your stuff sack armada. I don't see one listed that holds your quilt? Is that what is in the larger SS (I assume a Size M)?

Yes, a M.

>> I'm about to make a 3D quilt for winter hiking (~2.5" loft) and I'm trying to figure out how small of a stuff sack to use without damaging the insulation. 500ci?

500 ci is just barely OK. You'll stuff it tight. I'd prefer something slightly larger.

Curtis Presson
(Obdewla_X) - F
Fish & Meal Prep on 10/28/2005 20:41:52 MDT Print View

Ryan,

How did you guys prepare your fish at mealtime... steamed or cooked in aluminum foil? Just curious.

Like many others have said before me, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip and also enkoyed the pics.

Ryan Jordan

Re: Fish & Meal Prep on 10/28/2005 20:48:12 MDT Print View

>> How did you guys prepare your fish at mealtime... steamed or cooked in aluminum foil? Just curious.

Curt, we poached (steamed them) in a half inch of water until the meat fell off the bones, ditched the bones, and then added some dry spice mixture (roasted garlic, onion, pepper) and a few drops of Dave's Insanity sauce, mix well, and eat right out of the mug, roll up in a tortilla, or spread on a bagel (no bagels after day 1).

Curtis Presson
(Obdewla_X) - F
Re: Fish & Meal Prep on 10/29/2005 18:59:36 MDT Print View

Were you guys concerned with disposal of your fish leftovers since you were in "bear" country?

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Cocoon on yellowstone trip on 12/28/2005 18:12:29 MST Print View

RJ, I orderd a cocoon that will hopefully be ariving soon.

the color I am getting is "indigo"

I am wondering if the blue cocoon pictured on page 1 will be the color of my expected pullover?