Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
yakima rack question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
yakima rack question on 03/19/2008 11:25:42 MDT Print View

I just got a new SUV, and I love it. I am trying to outfit it with a Yakima Rack system, but the price is a very big issue. Does anyone know of a dependable place that I can get the parts I need for may SUV? I need a pair of Q43 and Q29 clips, 4 Q Towers, 58" crossbars, and eventually a LoadWarrior Gear Basket. Please if you know anything, let me know. Thanks so much guys, ya'll are always a big help!

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: yakima rack question on 03/19/2008 11:32:23 MDT Print View

If you're the patient sort, every year REI has 20% discount sales on Yakima and Thule systems (not at the same time) which cover every bar, tower, mount, lock, box and gizmo in the systems. If you're within driving distance, in-store pickup eliminates the sometimes hefty shipping fees for some of the bits.

That's how I've bought a number of Thule bits over time; it's too financially painful to do so all at once.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Re2: yakima rack question on 03/19/2008 14:11:14 MDT Print View

I know you said dependable but I just thought I would mention that I bought a complete rack with 2 bike skis for 150$ shipped off of ebay. Here are some things to consider if you DO go that route:

1. Make sure you are getting Q-Towers and not the older "SST" towers. They look kinda similar. Unless you have an older vehicle, these won't fit.
2. Lock cylinders with keys. You can buy these separately, but just keep them in mind. You will want these. It is really nice to have a matching set where one key fits all the cylinders.
3. If you buy used Q-Towers it is unlikely that a set of matching q-clips will be included. This is just fine. When you buy a new set of Q-Clips, you will get new silicone footings for the towers as well as instructions how to install the entire rack.

Edited by HechoEnDetroit on 03/19/2008 14:12:19 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
ebay or craigslist on 03/20/2008 17:04:49 MDT Print View

I found towers on ebay and bars and rack stuff on craigslist. Though I live in a rural area I just searched Seattle and found them.