Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Edible Plants
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
Edible Plants on 03/10/2008 16:37:01 MDT Print View

Anyone know where I can go to learn about edible plants in Arkansas? I know I probably won't run out of food (I always bring too much), but I would just like to have this knowledge. Thanks ya'll!

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
??? on 03/14/2008 12:24:51 MDT Print View

no one knows this info?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Edible Plants on 03/14/2008 18:47:10 MDT Print View

I'd read up on Steve Brill's website! http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

bobby c
(bobbycartwright) - F

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!
poke sallet on 03/17/2008 21:01:21 MDT Print View

You can find a recipe for this online I know. My grandpa used to say they ate this stuff alot when he was a kid. It's called Phytolacca americana and should be pretty widespread in Arkansas if I remeber right. See what you can find about that but I think it may have some potential after further research.

Edited by bobbycartwright on 03/17/2008 21:08:16 MDT.

bobby c
(bobbycartwright) - F

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!
local extension on 03/17/2008 21:07:46 MDT Print View

You might want to try you local cooperative extension service. They're usually backed by the state's agricultural universities and they also train master gardeners, which can be a huge resource of info. Also, any organic farmers or their type of publications in your state may have some info on some native species that have slipped into cultivation. I would definetly go after the master gardeners and local extension service first. And ask the extension agents what books they remember from college concerning the state's native flora.

Mireille Halley
(tinyscrafts) - F - MLife

Locale: So Cal
community college on 03/26/2008 00:37:35 MDT Print View

I took a class at a community college. We learned the local edible and poisonous ones.. also regular ol' 4 unit gen. botany had a lot of this fun info in it.