Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fly fishing New Zealand
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Fly fishing New Zealand on 03/09/2008 15:31:36 MDT Print View

Dave, Allan and Tony travelled to the North Island of New Zealand to do some fly fishing for trout. Dave had fished NZ before and had done a lot of research on the best places to fish which in New Zealand there are many. Dave (originally from America) is a wildlife ecologist and did his PhD on Kangaroos, I joke with him that his real PhD is in Trout fishing.

The fishing started off a bit slow as at first we fished easy to get to and over fished places, after a few days we walked into a remote river for a three nights camping. On the way we stopped for two hour fish the Koranga River and caught about 10 nice trout between us, a big one snapped me off. That night after we set up camp we started fishing the Waioeka River, Allan caught the first of his 2.2+ kg Brown. The next day was a bit slow for me as I only caught 2 fish but the others had a reasonable day and Allan caught a 2.3 kg Brown. We kept three smaller fish for dinner which we shared with 2 pig hunters and five hunting dogs.

On the third day we got up early and walked down stream and in a mornings fishing we landed 30 trout ranging from 0.5 kg to 2.3 kg, I caught 7 from one 50 meter stretch and a nice 1.7 kg from another. This was the stuff of dreams.

All up in 2.5 days we landed 50 trout mostly Rainbow and a few Browns all fish ranging from 0.5 kg to 2.3 kg. In the whole trip we caught 70 fish.

Dave and I flew home while recently retired Allan stayed in New Zealand for a months touring with his wife. Allan used a A$135 combo rod/reel and line and out fished both Dave and me, I look forward to hearing about his latter fishing adventures in NZ.

Tony

Big Brown
Alan’s big brown
Dave nice fish
Dave fighting a nice fish
Nice rainbow
A nice rainbow
Waioeka river
The stunningly beautiful Waioeka River
Dave releasing a fish
Dave releasing a nice rainbow
700mm fish
700 mm rainbow

Edited by tbeasley on 03/09/2008 15:46:33 MDT.