Forum Index » GEAR » FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
lighting esbit on 05/20/2009 10:22:49 MDT Print View

when i've used esbits & lit with a sparker, i've brought a small dropper of alcohol - couple drops on the esbit tab & it takes a spark pretty readily

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Caldera Keg F GVP on 05/20/2009 11:17:06 MDT Print View

Just got my Caldera Esbit system, and my first impressions are so,so?

1) Seems as if the boil times are slower than my BPL Ti wing stove and Firelite 550 mug. (16oz water)

2) Actual overall tablet burn time seems much faster as well, with the Caldera system?

3) I have a hard time lifing the Fosters can out, without burning my hand, (yes this is with the beer band in place)

4) Stuff-sack fits too tight over the Fosters can/pot.
I'd like it to be large enough, to fit over the can, with a can cozy over the can as well, which would also protect the can while stuffed inside your pack.

With my BPL Ti wing stove I can boil 12-16oz of cold water, and still have enough Esbit left burning to heat another 12oz for my morning coffee (not to a boil, pre-treated water)

IMHO, there is way too much air space in the Cone, thus wasting heat or the transfer of heat.
What I've found with my BPL Ti wing stove, is that the tighter I wrap my windscreen around my pot the faster Boil times I get and the longer the tabs will burn.

I probably need to actually use the Caldera system longer though, before I pass final judgement.

Edited by mfog1 on 05/20/2009 12:21:53 MDT.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Caldera Keg F GVP on 05/20/2009 12:09:42 MDT Print View

What I've found with my BPL Ti wing stove, is that the tighter I wrap my windscreen around my pot the faster Boil times I get and the longer the tabs will burn.

Same here. I use the Ti Wind stove and literally "wrap" my windscreen around my pot. That said, I haven't used the Caldera setup so cannot comment on it's efficiency.

Mary Simpson
(maryphyl) - F
wing stove on 10/30/2009 09:25:13 MDT Print View

I had an esbit wing stove but it's legs fell off. Was this just bad luck or has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to decide if I should buy another or try something else. I am using Vargo Triad Titanium Alcohol/Fuel Tab Stove right now but it does not work very well with my small ti cup.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: wing stove on 10/30/2009 11:01:47 MDT Print View

Mary just get a small nut/bolt from the hardware store or rivet the legs back on. Mine are still attached but I've heard of this happening to others.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: wing stove on 10/30/2009 14:26:06 MDT Print View

> I had an esbit wing stove but it's legs fell off.
Quick - shoot it!

Yeah, some of those rivets were ... not good.
Hardware store, small bolt and nut.

Cheers