Forum Index » Chaff » Recently in the news

Display Avatars Sort By:
paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Recently in the news on 09/09/2005 13:28:39 MDT Print View

check out the following link (may be present for a limited time only) to a recent Yahoo News article.

Power Generating Backpack - only 85lbs

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Recently in the news on 10/12/2005 10:25:21 MDT Print View

Paul,
I can't wait for the ingenious subculture around BPL to get off alcohol burners and to start inventing useful UL generators. Here's a start: Why not use the old permanent ceramic magnet-in-a-coil generator tied to a bungee tied to the shoulder strap anchor? Perhaps put the rig inside the shoulder strap itself. Or similarly, use the shoulder strap to actuate a piezo generator (feeding a battery via a capacitor). Bet you can beat 85#!

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Recently in the news on 10/12/2005 10:29:19 MDT Print View

not sure i want to go this route. i'd probably electrocute myself by falling into a stream.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: Recently in the news on 10/15/2005 13:24:34 MDT Print View

PJ,
Jah, that's why I suggest someone else (besides me) needs to try it. I seem to remember a discussion way back before the lava cooled regarding piezo-electric inner soles for charging batteries. Guess that didn't work.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Recently in the news on 10/15/2005 14:28:18 MDT Print View

I’ve almost completed my redbull alcohol fed steam driven turbine power generator just under 7oz. ;)

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recently in the news on 10/15/2005 15:20:54 MDT Print View

now that you mention it, i remember reading someone's post about the p-e inner soles. i didn't think that they were serious though.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Recently In The News on 10/15/2005 15:25:48 MDT Print View

Paul, I am shocked you don't remember that was my post about the shoe sole battery charger. Not a joke, Looking for parts and a way to keep from getting shocked if I step in water.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Recently In The News on 10/15/2005 15:59:52 MDT Print View

sorry, Bill. please accept my apologies. my "old-timers" is acting up. since it's you, i must reconsider my words. obviously, i've seen enough "magic" from your hands to believe that you could fabricate such if you put your mind to it. guess i was only projecting my own lack of capabilities and limitations. i would very much like to see what you come up with.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
news on 10/15/2005 17:09:38 MDT Print View

I think Bill should be up for a lightitude award next year as the most igenious do it yourself gear maker.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: news on 10/15/2005 20:05:17 MDT Print View

2nd that.