North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood
Display Avatars Sort By:
Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Uhm... Europe?
Re: Montane Litespeed H2O on 05/28/2009 09:22:25 MDT Print View

The Montane Litespeed H2O has got a hood! So johann you confuse this jacket with the Montane Featherlite H2O jacket?!

I know mine has no hood. Now that you say it, I'm unsure. Maybe I have the Featherlite VĂ©lo H2O Jacket? Hm...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TOO light! on 05/28/2009 12:57:44 MDT Print View

I think there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a parka or anorak must be durable and reliable. My Cabela's GTX PacLite parka, size large, tall at 15 oz. is about as light as I'd want to go unless we're talking about some fabric that's much stronger than the same weight (oz./sq. yd.) of nylon.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with this TNF anorak.

Eric

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: TOO light ? on 05/28/2009 13:42:48 MDT Print View

Integral Designs Thru Hiker, eVent, Large: 11.5 ounces.

A very solid, full zip, waterproof, breathable shell, with hood.

Edited by greg23 on 05/28/2009 13:44:44 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Triumph on 05/28/2009 14:46:10 MDT Print View

I've only recently started using the Triumph. I will only use it for summer backpacking when lack of weight is king.
I am an e-Vent fan, and my 'workhorse' wp for mountaineering is a Crux Flak Smock. (not made anymore) I don't expext the same performance as an e-Vent shell.

At 170g for a Large, i don't care if i get some condensation, as it will hopefully spend most of its time in my pack, as a summer waterproof.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Uhm... Europe?
Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 15:39:18 MDT Print View

I think there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a parka or anorak must be durable and reliable.

Well Montane made the Quickfire jacket which weighs a little bit over 300 g and is made of eVent. I used it in some nasty weather and was fine.

(I have two ;-) )

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 16:00:59 MDT Print View

> there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a
> parka or anorak must be durable and reliable.
As a motherhood statement this is obviously unarguable. But what it does not address is just does 'durable and reliable' mean? Opinions differ, based on experience.

If I am thrashing through heavy Australian scrub I may leave my rainwear off. Why?
* I am going to get thoroughly wet anyhow.
* There is negligable wind in thick scrub, so windchill is not a problem.
* Wearing ANY rainwear in our bad scrub will simply shred the rainwear quickly.
If the weather is too bad for that, I stop and camp. It seldom happens.

If I am up in the alpine regions (where windchill can be severe), then 'durable and reliable' have to be interpreted in the light of experience. I have found that silnylon will last in a howling gale for weeks on end. I have also found that the very lightest Malibu EPIC fabric will also survive the wind, snow and ice, and falling over cornices.

What I have not done is to go sliding down scree and shale slopes in the rain in UL fabrics. But now you are talking serious mountaineeering, and that should be treated a bit differently imho.

My experience has been that nylon, even at 30 denier, is quite strong enough for walking use, provided the wearer does not treat it as some sort of armoured outer layer. PacLite is quite heavy stuff in comparison.

Cheers

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 16:50:54 MDT Print View

I'm with Roger. When it comes to safety, well, falls and heart attacks kill way more of us than exposure. Heavy packs full of "safety gear" cause more falls and heart attacks than light packs. So IMO light jackets are safer than bomber ones. That being said, I do carry a heavier marmot parka in the true winter but only so I can layer. In the spring and summer, this year, it's been my new DriDuck poncho. If you rip it, duct it. Just keep the quilt dry and its irie.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 17:54:34 MDT Print View

Too light? Those words should be banned from BPL. If there is a 5.8 ounce rainjacket available, then the consensus should be anything over 6.0 ounces is considered heavy.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Fully proof? on 11/04/2009 11:13:17 MST Print View

Is this thing fullly water PROOF, i mean, in sustained rain for days on end, will it wet through?

Does it have a coating that will have to be re-applied like dwr?

Edited by isaac.mouser on 11/04/2009 11:27:43 MST.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
the jury... on 11/04/2009 12:18:30 MST Print View

Did anybody come to any conclusions as to the Triumph Anoraks performance?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Fully proof? on 11/04/2009 12:21:14 MST Print View

"Is this thing fullly water PROOF?"

I haven't used the Triumph Anorak, but I have the North Face Venture jkt which uses the same Hyvent DT membrane and I've been very impressed with how water proof it is. I wore that jkt when I rode my motorcycle across the country and despite spending three 12 hour days in non-stop rain at 60mph, the water never got through the jkt. So yes, the Triumph Anorak should be bomber waterproof.

In sustained rain for days on end, will it wet through?Does it have a coating that will have to be re-applied like dwr?"

Yes it has a DWR coating and yes it might 'wet out' after a long period of rain, but do not confuse this with the membrane failing (and you gettting wet). On my motorcycle trip the jacket was pretty much totally wetted out after a few hours but I still stayed dry. Just because the DWR fails and the outer layer of nylon gets wet (aka 'wetting out') that does not mean the wearer gets wet because you are still protected by the membrane, which is laminated to the inside of the nylon shell material. All waterproof/breatheable jackets have a DWR coating to prevent the outer layer of nylon from getting wet. This is important because once the outer nylon gets wet the jkt does not breathe nearly as well.

So yes, it has a DWR coating but it also has a waterproof membrane. I imagine that the DWR coating is a decent one, but even good ones fail eventually. How good it is doesn't really matter because you can easily re-apply a new one using whichever brand you like. You should be doing this with all your waterproof/breathable jkts every year or two anyways.

Edited by dandydan on 11/04/2009 12:33:49 MST.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
performance on 11/04/2009 14:49:44 MST Print View

Looks like i will cough it up some day and get an event, being wet while freezing is too risky, but 5oz..so tempting lol

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Event on 11/04/2009 14:59:09 MST Print View

What's eVent going to change? Any eVent jkt is still going to use a DWR coating that can fail, but the Event should hold out the rain just like North Face's Hyvent DT membrane. You should stay dry in both. I don't think going to eVent is any 'safer'. It will just be a smidge more comfortable to wear since Hyvent DT is about 15,000 breathability and even is 21,000.

Edited by dandydan on 11/04/2009 15:00:15 MST.