North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood
Display Avatars Sort By:
P S
(petesull)
North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood on 03/03/2008 06:01:58 MST Print View

Has anyone had the chance to try out the new The North Face Men's Triumph Anorak Jacket (Spring 2008)?

5.4oz full waterproof with a hem cord and adjustable hood! I may order one...

Edited by petesull on 03/03/2008 06:15:58 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood on 03/03/2008 17:01:32 MST Print View

I have been awaiting this.. my DIAD has worked adequately, the Triumph looks like a great product.

way lighter, and less seems for failure... not that my DIAD ever has :)

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood on 03/03/2008 17:40:42 MST Print View

Wow, nice! I'll be looking out for more info on this one. Let us know what it's like (and what it weighs) if you do snag one.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood on 03/03/2008 18:14:56 MST Print View

I saw this is in Backpacker gearguide and now it is up on the North Face Website. I might pick one up and see if my sewing skills will someday warrant putting in some pit zips. Funny how Anoraks come and go. Arc'teryx now has the Alpha SL pullover but with all the features, and a side zip on one side to put the thing on, it comes out at a hefty 12 ounces. On the same page of the gearguide they had a Westcomb event jacket at 10 ounces that looked to have a better cut than the Integral Designs version.

P S
(petesull)
Saw one today on 03/03/2008 20:05:06 MST Print View

I messed around with one today at The North Face store. It's pretty incredible--it's lighter than my windshirt. I really like how big and high the collar is. The hood forms a nice close seal around your head. In fact, I had to put the hood on before zipping up the jacket all the way, or I'd have to tug the hood over my head. It's minimalist in every way: the hem is controlled by one tightener on the right side. It didn't look odd or uneven when I pulled it tight. It seems normal North Face size, which is slightly small on me, but then again I'm almost 6'5, 210 with broad shoulders and very long arms (size XL). It also looks stylish (they only had black), and the white online with green zippers looks tempting for a spring/summer/fall everything jacket.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
REI will special order the Triumph on 03/03/2008 22:26:58 MST Print View

Wow; seems great.
I love my TNF DIAD. The Hyvent fabric it and the Triumph are made of has proven to be breathable and waterproof. My full-zip shell pants are also Hyvent, and perform flawlessly.

Edit; I re-weighed my DIAD last night, and my apologies, it was close to the advertised weight.

Ill make up for my mistake by mentioning a way you can order one with a lifetime 100% return policy.. REI told me they will not stock them, but they will special order one for you:

"Unfortunately, REI does not plan to stock the Triumph in white. However, we can likely order it
from the manufacturer on your behalf. Your cost is suggested retail price plus shipping and tax;
delivery can take up to 5 weeks depending on availability. For more information regarding REI's
Special Orders program, please contact us (REI.com, 800 426-4840) or your nearest REI retail store."

Edited by Brett1234 on 03/04/2008 18:46:39 MST.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Locale: Near the coast in the Netherlands
Re: anyone weigh the TNF Triumph Anorak? on 03/04/2008 04:45:51 MST Print View

That is a big difference in advertised and actual weight! i would also like to know the actual weight of the Triumph Anorak! Anyone?

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Saw one today on 03/04/2008 06:46:37 MST Print View

Peter, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go back to the store with scale in hand and find out the real weight of this awesome looking jacket.

Will you please grant our inquiring minds reprieve?

:P

Adam

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Saw One Today on 03/04/2008 07:42:13 MST Print View

Peter,

While you are considering this important assignment, would you consider weighing it in a few different sizes?

Would you consider removing the tags, sewn in labels, hood, sleeves, cinch cord and weighing them separately as well? Just kidding! A couple of sizes would be nice though.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood on 03/04/2008 17:03:19 MST Print View

I wish integral designs would come out with a similar product to compliment thier eVENT jacket.. they have a pullover in their line, but its made from a slightly heavier fabric... and there is no hood..

My ideal jacket would be an ultra minimalist eVENT anorak, with just a small chest pocket.

this could come in at around 6oz I think

but for now.. with the patagonia specter no longer avaiable, the Triumph looks like the best jacket around

Edited by ryanf on 03/04/2008 17:04:58 MST.

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
eVent Anorak on 03/04/2008 22:07:49 MST Print View

An Integral Designs 2-panel Anorak made of eVent would be something of a dream shell.

I think they're probably running at 110% filling orders from the Canadian and US military right now. And by the looks of the world, they'll be busy outfitting soldiers for some time to come...

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 2-layer eVent Anorak on 03/04/2008 23:10:37 MST Print View

The only company I know of that sells 2-layer eVent products is Mountain Laurel Designs. But Ron doesn't sell any jackets. Who here knows him well enough to convince him that a 2-layer eVent Anorak would sell like hot cakes? He offers his rain chaps in 2-layer eVent, so an Anorak would complement his current offerings. If he created an Anorak long enough to cover the tops of his rain chaps, one could opt to wear shorts in warm rain and keep them dry, or put on the rain chaps for full protection. Add a drawcord hem to facilitate or minimize drafts. Man, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

If he really has a preference for only selling ponchos, he could make an eVent poncho or poncho tarp (though the poncho tarp might get classified as shelter and therefore ineligible). I wonder why none of the cottage gear manufacturers have designed something like this?

Edited by jcarter1 on 03/04/2008 23:15:26 MST.

P S
(petesull)
Jacket weight on 03/05/2008 07:45:23 MST Print View

I'll see what I can do re: weight information. I don't have a scale though; where can I pick up a cheap one?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: 2-layer eVent Cagoule on 03/05/2008 08:45:19 MST Print View

I've talked about it before, but my dream waterproof shell would be a knee-length eVent cagoule, eliminating the need for rain pants and/ or rain skirt, and if designed in the traditional way where you can pull the lower hem over your knees when sitting down, would be a wonderful for sitting out storms. No one seems to be interested in cagoules anymore these days though...

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Scale on 03/05/2008 10:45:15 MST Print View

I think there are other posts about buying a scale, but I got mine at an office supply store. It is a nice digital one that handles up to about five pounds. To measure the weight of a full back, people generally get fishing scales (still on my list to buy).

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: 2-layer eVent Cagoule on 03/05/2008 10:46:54 MST Print View

Miguel,

Reading your post, I think the word I'm looking for is cagoule, not anorak.

It seems so odd that this garment is missing from the wp/b outdoor manufacturers. Many cheap plastic rain ponchos come in this length, and many 'city' rain jackets (the ones that cover business suits) are at least knee length, so it's not like people would be expected to wear something unusual-looking (I would think a cagoule would sell better than a poncho, for example, for those worried about appearance).

In terms of weight, it will be heavier than an eVent jacket, but you can make up the weight savings in the rain chaps (MLD's eVent rain chaps are 3.7oz, way lighter than the 11oz eVent pants). Also, using the 2-Layer eVent should make it lighter than 3-Layer jackets, adding up to substantial weight savings over the current 3-layer eVent offerings.

This is one of the reasons I love working with cottage gear manufacturers; our voices can be heard. So who's gonna call Ron at MLD to ask for a design request? =)

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Chouinard History on 03/05/2008 10:52:42 MST Print View

Here is a Cagoule for you.

Pretty cool stuff.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: 2-layer eVent Cagoule on 03/05/2008 12:30:36 MST Print View

Yes yes YES. I really like cagoules, and an eVent one would be in my gear collection for sure if it was available. I don't know if it could be made out of two piece minimal seam contruction though, as it would depend on the width of eVent fabric available.

carlos fernandez rivas
(pitagorin) - MLife

Locale: Galicia -Spain
event alpine smock on 03/05/2008 14:56:33 MST Print View

Crux.uk has one event alpine smock ... (i know .. i know there is not a cagoule but...)

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_clothing_flak_smock.php

but unfortunately is too heavy (450 grams ) but it will be replaced with a new model next winter .... i hope something lighter

And about the NF triumph ..... This year i bought the haglofs oz pullover, more or less the same weight, goretex paclite (in my opinion much better than hyvent) and much better hood ...

I think it is a much better option

Edited by pitagorin on 03/05/2008 15:04:36 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Chouinard History/ eVent Cagoule on 03/05/2008 17:40:35 MST Print View

Christopher, I have been collecting images and catalogues of cagoules and other old gear over the years and have quite a number of cagoules (including the Chouinard Cagoule) to show. I have the entire 1972 Chouinard Catalogue. Some really interesting stuff in there.

Pages 60/61 of 1972 Chouinard Catalogue

The Chouinard cagoule is made of neoprene coated nylon, with the neoprene acting as a buffer for condensation and sweat buildup, though I'm not sure how well this really works! I'm sure eVent would do a lot better job...

Photobucket

When I first started getting serious about backpacking back in 1979 I remember standing in front of my University of Oregon dormitory door watching the snow come dumping down when suddenly this figure came striding out of the snow clad in a cagoule and backpack. His name was Mike and he was a dorm mate, just returning from a weekend in the Cascades. His cagoule was a Chouinard cagoule and to this day that image of Mike walking out of the snow in a cagoule is still one of the coolest images I have of a backpacker.

Edited by butuki on 03/05/2008 20:53:58 MST.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Thanks on 03/05/2008 18:33:23 MST Print View

Cool story Miguel and thanks for the pics of the ad.

If I had an extra $150 sitting around I'd nab that cagoule on eBay.

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
triumph anorak on 03/06/2008 14:06:50 MST Print View

I just picked one of these bad boys up in black and its pretty sweet. I have a friend who works at a TNF store get me a badass deal on it... but now I owe him a case of beer. I don't have a scale here, but I'll weigh it this weekend when I go back home for break and post back here. It's a size large.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: triumph anorak on 03/06/2008 15:17:46 MST Print View

I just my NG Adventure magazine issue and the first 2 pages are a full page ads for the Triumph Anorak.

The website is http://triumphanorak.thenorthface.com but the link doesn't work yet.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Weight of the TNF Triumph? on 03/11/2008 08:34:44 MDT Print View

Has anybody weight the TNF Triumph by now???

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

triumph weight on 03/11/2008 09:05:28 MDT Print View

I will post the weight of my size large triumph sometime on thursday. I don't have a scale here :-( It feels like its a lot less than my virga but we'll see...

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Weight of anorak on 03/13/2008 10:02:22 MDT Print View

My size large triumph weighed in at 5.8 oz. I'm going to remove the tags, hem cord and hood cord later on and weigh it again. This thing feels a lot sturdier than I thought it would for such a low weight. I can't wait to test it in the shower :-)

Phil

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Weight of anorak on 03/14/2008 02:34:35 MDT Print View

5.8oz in size large that is light! thanks for the info! i'm going to try out TNF Triumph anorak for my self.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: Weight of anorak on 03/14/2008 06:46:51 MDT Print View

I have never considered North Face a SUL company. How is it that they can come out with a seemingly impossible sub 6 ounce rain shell? Before the anorak, options were OR zealot or SD Isotope or "ready to fall apart" driducks. Some of us were actually scouting old Patagonia Specter's on ebay as well.

P S
(petesull)
North Face on 03/14/2008 19:22:52 MDT Print View

North Face really cleared out a lot of their repetitive, fashion jackets this Spring. It looks like they are focused a bit more on making efficient products rather than designs they can slap a North Face emblem on...perhaps remembering what got them to where they are.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

North Face on 03/15/2008 03:48:23 MDT Print View

TNF is since last year into endurance running, so for there flight series they are designing realy lightweight clothing like the Triumph anorak en the Hydrogen windjacket. P.s there is a first look of the Triumph anorak on www.outdoorsmagic.com

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: North Face on 03/15/2008 13:25:45 MDT Print View

Same weight as my O2 Rain Shield (aka Dri Ducks) for a REAL jacket?! Wow. Crazy. Probably not as breathable as the 3M material... but still... Wow!

Thank god for adventure racing... because as noted above... that (certainly not backpacking) is what's bringing a few good ultralight products into the mainstream.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: triumph anorak any new updates? on 05/26/2009 10:10:41 MDT Print View

So any more updates on this jacket? It sounds like the lightest jacket you can buy without going down the throwaway category of driducks.

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

jacket on 05/26/2009 12:41:06 MDT Print View

Mine has held up fine for over a year now. It is sturdy for the weight, I've even used it through a fair bit of bushwhacking in Arkansas and it is good as new. Breathability could be a little better, but I can't complain.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: Re: triumph anorak any new updates? on 05/26/2009 18:31:02 MDT Print View

why isn't there more chatter about this jacket? It's as ground breaking as the neoair (and as pricey!)

I'm surpised there hasn't been a bpl review

Adrian B
(adrianb) - MLife

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
litespeed h20 on 05/26/2009 19:31:58 MDT Print View

How about Montane's litespeed H20? It's listed as 5oz, lighter still.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Re: triumph anorak any new updates? on 05/26/2009 21:38:41 MDT Print View

I have the original DIAD, mine weighs in size Medium at 6.1 oz slightly modded. It comes with me on almost every true adventure and has been thrashed. It's coming with me for 2800 more miles starting June 12th too.

Full zip and mini pit zips compared to the Triumph, otherwise I bet they're the same.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Europe
Re: litespeed h20 on 05/27/2009 06:19:15 MDT Print View

How about Montane's litespeed H20? It's listed as 5oz, lighter still.

I wore that one yesterday evening, we had an ugly rainstorm in München. My arms were totally dry but since there's no hood, my head wasn't. :-)

So the water-proofness is fine for spring/summer conditions in Europe, but the breathability isn't very good.

It might work well if you're not sweating a lot.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Montane Litespeed H2O on 05/27/2009 08:00:08 MDT Print View

From the Montane website:
Lite-Speed H2O Jacket
The world’s lightest weight hooded waterproof multi-activity jacket.

The Lite-Speed H2O is a very lightweight, simple, moderately waterproof and breathable jacket for active outdoor sports. Weighing in at less than the average eating apple at 135g, having a roll-away hood and 3M Scotchlite™ flashes it’s ideal for aerobic outdoor sports in inclement weather night or day.

The Montane Litespeed H2O has got a hood! So johann you confuse this jacket with the Montane Featherlite H2O jacket?!

Edited by renjen on 05/28/2009 02:34:55 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Montane Litespeed H2O on 05/27/2009 08:22:31 MDT Print View

> The Lite-Speed H2O is a very lightweight, simple, moderately waterproof and breathable jacket

Hmmmmm.

I was very lucky and because I live close to the UK crux wholesaler I picked up a pre production Event jacket which was made with a lighter nylon face fabric than the weight they chose for the production model. Still weighs 15oz though.

For me, a waterproof has to be waterproof. Moderately waterproof won't do.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Other options on 05/27/2009 09:05:17 MDT Print View

It is a bit heavier but the Marmot Essence and Marmot Micra are both wp/b jackets with hoods that weigh under 7oz and claim great breathabitity ratings.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Re: Montane Litespeed H2O on 05/28/2009 09:22:25 MDT Print View

The Montane Litespeed H2O has got a hood! So johann you confuse this jacket with the Montane Featherlite H2O jacket?!

I know mine has no hood. Now that you say it, I'm unsure. Maybe I have the Featherlite Vélo H2O Jacket? Hm...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TOO light! on 05/28/2009 12:57:44 MDT Print View

I think there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a parka or anorak must be durable and reliable. My Cabela's GTX PacLite parka, size large, tall at 15 oz. is about as light as I'd want to go unless we're talking about some fabric that's much stronger than the same weight (oz./sq. yd.) of nylon.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with this TNF anorak.

Eric

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: TOO light ? on 05/28/2009 13:42:48 MDT Print View

Integral Designs Thru Hiker, eVent, Large: 11.5 ounces.

A very solid, full zip, waterproof, breathable shell, with hood.

Edited by greg23 on 05/28/2009 13:44:44 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Triumph on 05/28/2009 14:46:10 MDT Print View

I've only recently started using the Triumph. I will only use it for summer backpacking when lack of weight is king.
I am an e-Vent fan, and my 'workhorse' wp for mountaineering is a Crux Flak Smock. (not made anymore) I don't expext the same performance as an e-Vent shell.

At 170g for a Large, i don't care if i get some condensation, as it will hopefully spend most of its time in my pack, as a summer waterproof.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 15:39:18 MDT Print View

I think there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a parka or anorak must be durable and reliable.

Well Montane made the Quickfire jacket which weighs a little bit over 300 g and is made of eVent. I used it in some nasty weather and was fine.

(I have two ;-) )

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 16:00:59 MDT Print View

> there comes a time when you have to say that a SAFETY article of clothing like a
> parka or anorak must be durable and reliable.
As a motherhood statement this is obviously unarguable. But what it does not address is just does 'durable and reliable' mean? Opinions differ, based on experience.

If I am thrashing through heavy Australian scrub I may leave my rainwear off. Why?
* I am going to get thoroughly wet anyhow.
* There is negligable wind in thick scrub, so windchill is not a problem.
* Wearing ANY rainwear in our bad scrub will simply shred the rainwear quickly.
If the weather is too bad for that, I stop and camp. It seldom happens.

If I am up in the alpine regions (where windchill can be severe), then 'durable and reliable' have to be interpreted in the light of experience. I have found that silnylon will last in a howling gale for weeks on end. I have also found that the very lightest Malibu EPIC fabric will also survive the wind, snow and ice, and falling over cornices.

What I have not done is to go sliding down scree and shale slopes in the rain in UL fabrics. But now you are talking serious mountaineeering, and that should be treated a bit differently imho.

My experience has been that nylon, even at 30 denier, is quite strong enough for walking use, provided the wearer does not treat it as some sort of armoured outer layer. PacLite is quite heavy stuff in comparison.

Cheers

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 16:50:54 MDT Print View

I'm with Roger. When it comes to safety, well, falls and heart attacks kill way more of us than exposure. Heavy packs full of "safety gear" cause more falls and heart attacks than light packs. So IMO light jackets are safer than bomber ones. That being said, I do carry a heavier marmot parka in the true winter but only so I can layer. In the spring and summer, this year, it's been my new DriDuck poncho. If you rip it, duct it. Just keep the quilt dry and its irie.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: TOO light! on 05/28/2009 17:54:34 MDT Print View

Too light? Those words should be banned from BPL. If there is a 5.8 ounce rainjacket available, then the consensus should be anything over 6.0 ounces is considered heavy.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Fully proof? on 11/04/2009 11:13:17 MST Print View

Is this thing fullly water PROOF, i mean, in sustained rain for days on end, will it wet through?

Does it have a coating that will have to be re-applied like dwr?

Edited by isaac.mouser on 11/04/2009 11:27:43 MST.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
the jury... on 11/04/2009 12:18:30 MST Print View

Did anybody come to any conclusions as to the Triumph Anoraks performance?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Fully proof? on 11/04/2009 12:21:14 MST Print View

"Is this thing fullly water PROOF?"

I haven't used the Triumph Anorak, but I have the North Face Venture jkt which uses the same Hyvent DT membrane and I've been very impressed with how water proof it is. I wore that jkt when I rode my motorcycle across the country and despite spending three 12 hour days in non-stop rain at 60mph, the water never got through the jkt. So yes, the Triumph Anorak should be bomber waterproof.

In sustained rain for days on end, will it wet through?Does it have a coating that will have to be re-applied like dwr?"

Yes it has a DWR coating and yes it might 'wet out' after a long period of rain, but do not confuse this with the membrane failing (and you gettting wet). On my motorcycle trip the jacket was pretty much totally wetted out after a few hours but I still stayed dry. Just because the DWR fails and the outer layer of nylon gets wet (aka 'wetting out') that does not mean the wearer gets wet because you are still protected by the membrane, which is laminated to the inside of the nylon shell material. All waterproof/breatheable jackets have a DWR coating to prevent the outer layer of nylon from getting wet. This is important because once the outer nylon gets wet the jkt does not breathe nearly as well.

So yes, it has a DWR coating but it also has a waterproof membrane. I imagine that the DWR coating is a decent one, but even good ones fail eventually. How good it is doesn't really matter because you can easily re-apply a new one using whichever brand you like. You should be doing this with all your waterproof/breathable jkts every year or two anyways.

Edited by dandydan on 11/04/2009 12:33:49 MST.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
performance on 11/04/2009 14:49:44 MST Print View

Looks like i will cough it up some day and get an event, being wet while freezing is too risky, but 5oz..so tempting lol

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Event on 11/04/2009 14:59:09 MST Print View

What's eVent going to change? Any eVent jkt is still going to use a DWR coating that can fail, but the Event should hold out the rain just like North Face's Hyvent DT membrane. You should stay dry in both. I don't think going to eVent is any 'safer'. It will just be a smidge more comfortable to wear since Hyvent DT is about 15,000 breathability and even is 21,000.

Edited by dandydan on 11/04/2009 15:00:15 MST.