Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
All Practical Backpacking Members!!!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
All Practical Backpacking Members!!!! on 02/29/2008 21:49:54 MST Print View

Does anyone know how to register with them without a ISP email. I didn't get one. I don't need one, and I hope you can sign up if you don't have one! Please someone help.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: All Practical Backpacking Members!!!! on 02/29/2008 22:11:38 MST Print View

As far as I know that dictator over there won't allow you to reg without one. If you succeed your account is promptly deleted. Maybe contact them to see if there are any alternatives, and let us know.

There is some useful dialogue there but the air is stifling, with all the regulation and micro-managing (and no it does not create an organized on-topic forum). They really need to loosen up.

I am a member there, though, but rarely visit.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: All Practical Backpacking Members on 03/01/2008 09:38:32 MST Print View

Jhaura is right. The answer is "NO".

Frank D
(fden23) - F
re: "All Practical Backpacking Members!!!!" on 03/12/2008 15:50:58 MDT Print View

It is a forum with some cool people and some good conversations. However, the previous poster is right, the forum owner is a dictator. It is his forum, so yeah, he can run it however he wants. But let me give you some examples additional examples of his over-zealous policies.

No posting links in messages. If you have a link to some great information, and that information cannot be copied and pasted into a thread, your link and post gets deleted. Just last week someone posted a link to a great showing stove/fuel usage in graphs over time. DELETED

Some guy from Denver posted a message in the welcome forum titled "Wassup from Denver". The message was retitled by the admin as "Denver". Apparently saying "wassup" is not acceptable on those forums.

Anyway, I dont want to trash the forum cause there is good stuff going on there, but the forum owner needs to see someone about his control issues.

Darren McClintock
(Darren) - MLife
Re: re: "All Practical Backpacking Members!!!!" on 03/12/2008 16:18:01 MDT Print View

Ya I signed up and was banned the next day for having a number in my username. That guy has Daddy issues.

Andrew Richard
(fairweather8588) - F

Locale: The Desert
PBF on 03/12/2008 16:22:57 MDT Print View

Banned for numbers in your username? I've got 4 numbers in mine and have been a member for around a year

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Re: PBF on 03/13/2008 21:11:01 MDT Print View

And if you're like me you'll be contacted soon saying either get rid of the numbers or your account is going bye-bye, that happened to me a few days ago.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: PBF on 03/14/2008 07:21:09 MDT Print View

Wonder what's up with the no number fetish...

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: Re: PBF on 03/14/2008 12:04:00 MDT Print View

Sounds like a place I don't want to waste my time.

He's lucky he's acting that way towards backpackers, who are generally a nice bunch. If he was trying to run a forum for younger or more ornery people like maybe video gamers or maybe second life players or whatever, he'd get flooded and hacked and DOSed until he wanted to cry.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Re: PBF on 03/14/2008 12:15:17 MDT Print View

--He's lucky he's acting that way towards backpackers, who are generally a nice bunch. If he was trying to run a forum for younger or more ornery people like maybe video gamers or maybe second life players or whatever, he'd get flooded and hacked and DOSed until he wanted to cry.--

Quoted for truth.

Adam