Forum Index » Fishing » Durable but light fly rod tube for backpacking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Durable but light fly rod tube for backpacking on 05/20/2012 16:14:00 MDT Print View

Tenite butyrate tubing in numerous diameters/thicknesses and lids are still available from US Plastics. I recently bought some and made a tube for my grandson's fly rod. Main problem is that the minimum order for the tubing is 6 feet.

It's easy to search the US Plastics site for the size you need.

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/20/2012 16:16:06 MDT.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
I use a fluorescent tube protector on 05/20/2012 17:51:40 MDT Print View

I have had good luck with a fluorescent tube protector that is designed for use with T12 fluorescent lamps. This tube protector is made of a clear polycarbonate material and can be easily cut to size to fit your fly rod. My local Home Depot has them. I use the protective cloth bag that came with my fly rod and just slip the rod and cloth bag into the plastic tube and tuck it inside my pack. It feels real safe and secure packed this way and I can't imagine a situation where I could break the rod. If so, I'd have much more serious problems than just a broken fly rod.

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Locale: Michigan
Home Depot worked for me... on 07/09/2012 08:04:10 MDT Print View

I have also used fluorescent lamp guard had at the Home Depot. Saved me over a pound on the two fishing rod set ups. Pretty big savings & saved a bunch of room as well. Hardly know I've got the pipe on the side of my pack...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Home Depot worked for me... on 07/09/2012 08:13:35 MDT Print View

+1 on the fluorescent lamp guards at Home Depot.

They come in two sizes, the smaller is perfect for the TenkaraUSA rods.

Then head over to the section that has the plastic cups for chair bottoms, to find "end caps". Mine was a bit loose, but a 1" piece of vinyl tape on the tube made it very snug.