Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 02/28/2008 09:49:31 MST Print View

Hey all:

I got my Bushbuddy and the weather/my life are going to allow me to get into the woods again soon.

I'm looking to get the Firelite SUL 1100 for storing my bushbuddy in. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? I'm looking for one with no dings or dents and with a lid that still fits perfectly.

If anyone has any other recommendations I'm open to suggestions. If not the Firelite I was planning on grabbing a snowpeak trek 900 or possible testing the bushbuddy in an MSR Titan Kettle to see how it fits.

I'm pretty sure that I want the FIrelite though so yeah...if anyone has one they aren't using let me know!

Thanks!

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

Locale: Greater Gila
re: IMUSA instead of Firelite for Bushbuddy? on 02/28/2008 16:30:12 MST Print View

are you familiar with the IMUSA mugs found at walmart? You may have to search, but you'll save a TON. I spent $3 for mine, and it weighs 3.1 oz after filing off the handle. I see absolutely no advantage to getting the Firelite, other than supporting BPL instead of wal-mart.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: re: IMUSA instead of Firelite for Bushbuddy? on 02/28/2008 16:31:59 MST Print View

Eric:

Awesome recommendation! I haven't shopped at Walmart in years, but perhaps this will get me to buy ONE little thing. I assume it fits the bushbuddy well?

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

Re: Bushbuddy mating with IMUSA on 02/28/2008 17:23:47 MST Print View

first let's state that I use the larger, #12 IMUSA mug, which holds a bit more than a Liter of water. Perfect for anyone who eats directly out of the mug and not a ziploc. The bushbuddy fits very well into the mug, with a tiny bit of room to spare on the sides, causing it to move SLIGHTLY inside. I haven't been able to get out to hike with this combo yet, so I can't say if it's annoying or even noticeable while hiking. It's probably a similar fit to all of the other mugs which claim to house the Bushbuddy well. No way I'd spend over $40 for a pot which weighs the same as the IMUSA.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Re: Bushbuddy mating with IMUSA on 02/28/2008 18:11:37 MST Print View

Yeah..I was hoping someone would be willing ot part with their firelite for $40. I saw one going for that rate a little while ago, but missed my chance to get it.

We'll see! I will check these mugs out though for sure.

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
lighter alternative mugs for the Bushbuddy on 02/29/2008 07:41:14 MST Print View

I went shopping for the hard-to-find IMUSA mug. Thanks to the readers here that steered me to stores catering to the hispanic community. I did not score an IMUSA but came away with an $8- aluminum mug, labelled "Del"-something or other. Sized very similar to the SnowPeak 900. The digital postal scale puts it at .3 oz less than my lidless SP900 pot! A great fit as the BB in a SIL soot sack slides into it without force.

It has a small spout shape at one end of the lid, which I like. I was looking for something that I could attach a bail to and remove the handles. Unfortunately this has a riveted-through handle and I'm leary of the seal if I grind it down. May try it anyway.

Check out your local hispanic grocers. Plus, they carry some some kick-butt habenero sauce.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: Bushbuddy mating with IMUSA on 02/29/2008 08:04:07 MST Print View

"No way I'd spend over $40 for a pot which weighs the same as the IMUSA."

No offense to anyone here, but I can't help but chuckle at the quirkiness of our members.

Um... didn't you just spend well over $100 for a a can to burn wood in? One that* could be replicated rather cheaply (gassification - there are plenty of how-to on BPL, the nicest one uses a pint and a quart paint can), or from a functionally (a way to make wood fire easier to use, more efficiency, and more contained) point of view very simply (hobo stove).

Anyhow, like I said. No offense, it's just an humorous observation. I'm sure I've espoused many opinions of similar context (for instance I bought a Vargo Jet-Ti for absolutely no reason other than it won the Backpacking Mag Toughest Canister Stove competition, even though I own a SP Giga Ti... and I chose the Giga Ti for no rational reason beyond 'I like Ti', the SS / Ti weights are nearly identical)

*Note: The BB is, IMO, one of the most beautiful, efficient, functional, and lust-worthy woodstoves ever made, and it is on my 'to purchase list'. However, the analogy of BB:Hobo-Stove::FL1100:IMSUA-sans-handle is still valid.

Edited by jdmitch on 02/29/2008 08:04:54 MST.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

Re: Bushbuddy hyprocrite on 02/29/2008 08:27:00 MST Print View

You make a good point about the price of the Bushbuddy, and my unwillingness to spend $40 for a Firelite mug. I was lucky enough to score a used BushBuddy for $50, slicing the price by more than half. I always wanted a BB, but refused to spend $110 on one. When I saw one used, I jumped at the offer. I've made a few wood burning stoves. The most recent was a (successful) gasification stove out of a coffee can and soup can. The problem with all of the homemade stoves was that I couldn't find one that was small enough to not rob precious space in my small pack (MLD Zip). They were all 2 inches taller than my mug. I'm sure I eventually could have found one that worked out fine, but I decided that I needed to use my time more effectively and keep planning mail drops, etc for my PCT thru hike. If I do find a woodstove that works as well as the BB and stores as small, I'll gladly sell the BB. Until then, I love this little stove.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Re: Re: Bushbuddy mating with IMUSA on 02/29/2008 08:40:15 MST Print View

Haha...that is a great point Joshua!

Note, that I would and most likely will spend money on a Firelite. I have this problem where I spend money on things cause I want them and nothing else satisfies me the same even if they are as functional.

I haven't gotten into the MYOG stuff yet. I think that if I add this to my already backpacking dominated frame of mind my girlfriend would go crazy! Sure, she loves backpacking, but I obsess a bit much. I thought of building a hobo stove or the like, but didn't wanna go purchase the tools I'd need and then tinker. We have a 1 bedroom so I would be tinkering in our kitchen too...this doesn't help much!

And, like you said, the BB is beautiful. I sometimes just take it out and look at it while I watch tv.

I love your point though and it really got a laugh outta me! So yeah..where is the owner of a firelite 1100!? No one has one they don't use anymore?

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bushbuddy mating with IMUSA on 02/29/2008 09:30:55 MST Print View

"I was lucky enough to score a used BushBuddy for $50, slicing the price by more than half."

Oh... wow... nice catch...

PS - The J. Falk's Bushwhacker Stove is promising, but I doubt it'll beat the price you got (and is not as pretty as the BB).

"I have this problem where I spend money on things cause I want them and nothing else satisfies me the same even if they are as functional...

And, like you said, the BB is beautiful. I sometimes just take it out and look at it while I watch tv."

wow... that's really sad...

Edited by jdmitch on 02/29/2008 10:19:03 MST.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 03/02/2008 09:01:29 MST Print View

Bump...Anyone got one?

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 03/10/2008 08:12:33 MDT Print View

Another Bump..C'mon guys and gals.. Doesn't anyone have one of these :(

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 03/24/2008 19:16:57 MDT Print View

Just another bumpity bump. It's hard to find the infamous walmart mug that everyone speaks of.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 03/25/2008 07:55:33 MDT Print View

"Another Bump..C'mon guys and gals.. Doesn't anyone have one of these :("

I doubt anyone has one that they want to part with.

Why don't you snag a Brasslite 900?

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: WTB: Firelite SUL 1100 for my bushbuddy on 03/25/2008 08:13:03 MDT Print View

I would get the brasslite 900, but the pot is going to be used for two and the extra volume would be useful. I saw one of the sul 1100's come up a month or two ago so I'm hoping another one will come up eventually! I'll just wait patiently...

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: BB w/ Larger than 900mL Pot on 03/25/2008 12:02:40 MDT Print View

Andrew, I don't see any posts from you over in this thread, but there are some other HA-Al pots that appear to be appropriate dimensions and >1L volume. Specifically, the GSI ULTRALIGHT SOLOIST COOK SYSTEM and the Alpine Cooker #2. Unfortunately, you can't dig into the weight of just the pot on the GSI set, though FBC Sarah says it's 7.75 oz w/ Lid and handle (both asking to be replaced). Though it ought to fit in the MB Titanium Cooker #3D, the size is a little on the large side.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: BB w/ Larger than 900mL Pot on 03/25/2008 12:35:01 MDT Print View

Thanks Joshua! That's helpful information. I'll check out that thread.

Grzegorz Przeorski
(grzechu) - MLife

Locale: Ontario
Re: Re: BB w/ Larger than 900mL Pot on 03/26/2008 21:37:19 MDT Print View

Check www.end2endtrailsupply.com

Edited by grzechu on 03/26/2008 21:40:15 MDT.