To stuff or not to stuff that is the ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Green
(Allen) - F
To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/26/2008 19:47:34 MST Print View

I have a new down bag enroute and was wondering if the best way to pack the bag is to stuff it? I never have had much luck anyother way to getting them into the small sak. Just wondering don't want to abuse the new bag.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/26/2008 20:12:02 MST Print View

Yes, stuff it.

You should only do so while ON your trip, though. Always store it unstuffed in a cotton or mesh laundry bag (that is, if it doesn't come w/a storage sack).

You won't hurt it if it's only stuffed while in your pack.

Todd

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Make your own stuff sack on 02/26/2008 22:28:33 MST Print View

I highly recommend making your own stuff sack, tailored for your bag and for your pack. I like the bag to be right up against the lumbar of my back, filling the bottom of the pack. If a stuff sack is to be used in this fashion (as opposed to a trash bag, another good option), it must be custom made to the bottom dimmensions of your pack.

I make my stuff sacks about 50% larger than the one supplied by the maker, and have not had a reason to go smaller. No point stuffing it more than needed.

Edited by geokite on 02/26/2008 22:29:03 MST.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/27/2008 12:15:40 MST Print View

Hey Allen,

Check out this thread on the topic. It also has a post referencing you to another thread. This should help answer your question. I don't see a reason to stuff, but if you do stuff, use a bigger stuff sack than the one supplied! This thread will go into the all the depth you need!

Stuff Sack thread