November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
To stuff or not to stuff that is the ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Green
(Allen) - F
To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/26/2008 19:47:34 MST Print View

I have a new down bag enroute and was wondering if the best way to pack the bag is to stuff it? I never have had much luck anyother way to getting them into the small sak. Just wondering don't want to abuse the new bag.

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/26/2008 20:12:02 MST Print View

Yes, stuff it.

You should only do so while ON your trip, though. Always store it unstuffed in a cotton or mesh laundry bag (that is, if it doesn't come w/a storage sack).

You won't hurt it if it's only stuffed while in your pack.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Make your own stuff sack on 02/26/2008 22:28:33 MST Print View

I highly recommend making your own stuff sack, tailored for your bag and for your pack. I like the bag to be right up against the lumbar of my back, filling the bottom of the pack. If a stuff sack is to be used in this fashion (as opposed to a trash bag, another good option), it must be custom made to the bottom dimmensions of your pack.

I make my stuff sacks about 50% larger than the one supplied by the maker, and have not had a reason to go smaller. No point stuffing it more than needed.

Edited by geokite on 02/26/2008 22:29:03 MST.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: To stuff or not to stuff that is the ? on 02/27/2008 12:15:40 MST Print View

Hey Allen,

Check out this thread on the topic. It also has a post referencing you to another thread. This should help answer your question. I don't see a reason to stuff, but if you do stuff, use a bigger stuff sack than the one supplied! This thread will go into the all the depth you need!

Stuff Sack thread