Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Maglite Headband
Display Avatars Sort By:
reuben bolieu
(bearthedog76) - F

Locale: SoCAL
Maglite Headband on 02/26/2008 06:09:11 MST Print View

I was rethinking my light needs and realized that they are not the best light but are good. Water resistant to a point and durable. Maglites are also cheap and quite common. I usually carry a Princton Tech - Scout. It is an LED with a few settings and ok for my backpacking needs. While in Peru last November we needed a headlamp with a more focused beam. I ended up with a headlamp that required three AA batteries. It ended up weighing 5 oz. plus three more ounces for spares. The good thing about this was that it took regular batteries. If I needed to buy some more batteries from one of the villages I could. If I needed batteries for an LED I couldn't. My Scout is a 1 oz. headlamp without the strap. A Maglite solitaire is a 1 oz. light and takes a single AAA battery. It is a more focused beam than the Scout. The Solitaire is not a headlamp nor is the more common Mini Mag. The Mini Mag is about 4 oz. and has a much brighter beam than the Scout and the Solitaire. Batteries are easy to find in a third world country also. Again it is not a headlamp but there is a head strap made of heavy nylon and elastic that converts it into a headlamp. It weighs almost as much as the light. I decided to make some of my own for the Maglite-Solitaire and Mini Maglite. Here they are and their weight is .25 oz. made of elastic and has a velcro closure to adjust the size. Simple and Superlight. Converts an average Maglite into a headlamp angled down so you can work comfortably with your hands. Maybe it will fit some other higher quality lights too?

Maglite Solitare/Mini Maglitemaglites
Solitaireheadbands
Mini Magmags

Edited by bearthedog76 on 02/26/2008 06:24:48 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Headband on 02/26/2008 07:40:29 MST Print View

Congrats you have reinvented the Jackstrap. Use to see those things at REI and others. Haven't seen one in about five years.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: Maglite Headband on 02/26/2008 09:14:11 MST Print View

I use the same thing with my Fenix L1D Rebel making a pretty killer headlamp

reuben bolieu
(bearthedog76) - F

Jackstrap? on 02/26/2008 15:23:01 MST Print View

I am not familiar with this. I did a search but it seems different. I like simple things thats why I decided to try this.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Jackstrap on 02/26/2008 19:20:37 MST Print View

Made by Liston Concepts www.liston.com under hands free lighting.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Jackstrap on 02/27/2008 08:54:38 MST Print View

Nite-Ize also has / had something similar.

reuben bolieu
(bearthedog76) - F

Magstrap on 02/27/2008 15:04:49 MST Print View

I know it exists just not as light and comfortable.