Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB Sleeping Bag for a big guy, plus cloudburst 2

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Valenti
(shsesc) - F
WTB Sleeping Bag for a big guy, plus cloudburst 2 on 02/25/2008 21:39:50 MST Print View

I am interested in buying a new or gently used sleeping bag definitely long and not too constrictive in the shoulder or knee areas. Temp ratings of 0*-20* would be preferred, but lower or slightly higher (less than 32*) will be considered. Down or synthetic are both ok.

I've not been very specific, but that's because I'm relatively new to this and I'm not sure what I want. Make an offer and I'll research it.

Unfortunately my budget is very tight.

I'd also like a cloudburst 2 but I don't know how to PM on this forum so please email me at shsesc (@) yahoo (.) com (remove spaces and parentheses)

I would like to pay by Paypal.

Thanks
shsesc

R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
ebay on 02/25/2008 21:50:39 MST Print View

I don't like to refer off site, but there's a 7' Western Mountaineering Badger sleeping bag on ebay right now that you might be able to get for a good deal (it's an "or best offer" auction). Check WM's site for girth info on the Badger. I think it's one of their roomier ones.

I am not affiliated in any way with that auction so don't hold me responsible it anything bad comes of this.

Edited by beenay25 on 02/25/2008 21:51:53 MST.

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: WTB Sleeping Bag for a big guy, plus cloudburst 2 on 02/25/2008 22:11:50 MST Print View

You may want to consider an 'overbag', such as a Big Agnes. Significant room, and it works with an inflatable pad, so they are roomy and comfortable.
Horse Thief is rated to 35F, that seems to be a pretty honest rating to me, the Zirkel at 20 F.
One of the nice things about an overbag is you can also get a lighter less expensive bag, put it inside (hence the 'overbag" moniker), and take what warmth you need.

I toss and turn a lot, so it's very nice to have a lot of extra space, and usually it's at a minor weight penalty.

I think there were some listed on this site, and if not, I know someone selling a Horse Thief.
Does that help?

Good luck,
MikeB

Edited by eaglemb on 02/25/2008 22:14:23 MST.

Joseph Valenti
(shsesc) - F
Badger on 02/25/2008 22:12:38 MST Print View

I asked the seller which badger it is. It doesn't sound like either on the WM website. They may not make it anymore. The width sounds nice.

The asking price is way out of my price range, I would have to make a ridiculously low offer by comparison.

But thanks for looking there for me anyway, I did check there first but didn't see anything that spoke to me. I'll keep an eye on ebay's new listings.

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Re: WTB Sleeping Bag for a big guy, plus cloudburst 2 on 02/25/2008 22:15:17 MST Print View

If you can give us an idea of what your range is, we can probably help you zero in to some degree.

R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Badger on 02/25/2008 22:21:56 MST Print View

There might indeed be a WM Badger or comparable bag hiding in the woodworks of the BPL Gear Swap. People are usually willing to sell things a bit lower here than you'd find on a place like ebay, if only because there are no fees associated with selling through the gear swap. IMO you're asking a good set of people. I've seen lots of high end sleeping bags sell here for very reasonable prices.

Joseph Valenti
(shsesc) - F
Re: Mike B on 02/25/2008 22:22:40 MST Print View

I have a therma-rest guidelite 3/4 pad would that fit in the Big Agnes? I like the size of their bags certainly.

How much warmth would I lose by not having insulation underneath my legs below the knee?

How much does your friend want for the Horse Thief? Is it a long/tall size horse thief?

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Re: Re: Mike B on 02/25/2008 22:32:36 MST Print View

You want a full length pad, as you're likely to get cold feet without it.

Email me on the bag, and I'll forward, it is a long, I think he has a pad also.

eaglemb

at

earthlink dot net

Regards,
MikeB

Joseph Valenti
(shsesc) - F
Price range on 02/25/2008 22:36:03 MST Print View

As for prices the cloudburst 2 for $125 sounds reasonable (with floor).

For a bag, I don't know how much one should cost. If I had to put a number on what I want to spend it would be less than $100, but is that realistic, I don't know. Maybe for the Horse Thief used it could be.