jacket project
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
jacket project on 02/23/2008 22:42:07 MST Print View

I'm about to start making my first jacket, but I don't know how to start. Do I buy one of those patterns, just get directions off of the internet or buy a kit from someone?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
jacket starting point on 02/24/2008 06:00:32 MST Print View

I used green pepper's mount hood hoodie pattern to make a very nice and light wind shirt. Patterns like that can be found locally and you can adapt them for your needs. I left off the pouch pocket and followed the rest of the directions and patterns for a great jacket with some cheap fabric.

If you look around you can find the perfect pattern for a couple bucks

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: jacket project on 02/24/2008 06:06:54 MST Print View

I would buy the thru hiker kit.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: jacket project on 02/24/2008 08:50:06 MST Print View

the thru hiker kit is good. it is easy to modify to add a full length zipper, pockets or a hood. I wish it had a hood pattern included though. Yesterday i made a casual sport coat with a full length zipper with it in about 4 hours. Its super snazzy.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Green Pepper Oregon Jacket on 02/24/2008 09:56:39 MST Print View

I have made a hooded pullover windshirt by modifying the pattern for the Green Pepper Oregon Jacket. The windshirt weighs almost exactly 3 oz. I like the 3-piece hood design of the Oregon Jacket better than I do the 2-piece hood common on many other designs. I have also made a Thru-Hiker windshirt. I like the Green Pepper modification better because of the hood. I have written up notes on how to do the modifications. PM me if you are interested.