Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Camera "Bipod" from 2 trekking poles
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Camera "Bipod" from 2 trekking poles on 09/05/2005 16:33:34 MDT Print View

I figured out this REALLY COOL method to make a camera "bi-pod" using your two trekking poles. Drive the pole tips into the ground about 6 inches apart... cross them in a X shape... and then strap the camera between the two handles using either the camera's wrist strap or some other strapping / string / cord. It's pretty solid (with foam grips... probably wouldn't work with cork or plastic).

Eu Jin Goh
(casaval) - F
Re: Camera "Bipod" from 2 trekking poles on 09/05/2005 17:57:00 MDT Print View

The first place I read about this technique was from Mountainlight by Galen Rowell. I think it was first published in 1986 and it contains many gems of information about how Galen takes his photos such as improvising support while climbing when he doesn't have a proper tripod. The book is highly recommended if you're interested in adventure photography.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Re: Camera "Bipod" from 2 trekking poles on 09/05/2005 18:41:33 MDT Print View

Cool :) Great minds things a like I guess :P LOL. Another idea I got from the camera store... they sell these sand bags to use as camera supports. That would be very easy to improvise. Anyway, thanks for the tip about the book!