Forum Index » GEAR » How Many People Can You Outfit?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/16/2008 22:14:42 MST Print View

I figured I can easily outfit THREE people with everything they need for summer backpacking including packs, tents, sleeping bags, mattresses, water filtration/purification, stoves, cook sets, fuel & containers.

How many of you guys can do the same for exactly the same equipment?

(No, I'm not bragging, just confessing.)

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/16/2008 22:45:17 MST Print View

Depends who's reading this thread.
If my dear, sweet wonderful wife is watching, it's 2.5.

If not, it's 5+...
Do I have too much stuff?

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
How many people can you outfit on 02/17/2008 06:34:02 MST Print View

Probably 6 if they go in pairs.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/17/2008 07:01:16 MST Print View

Only two at the moment. But I'm working on it. I just need one more quilt/sleeping bag to make it three :P

Adam

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/17/2008 07:53:56 MST Print View

I'm embarrassed to say. Looks like it's time to haul another load to my local Boy Scout troop.

Diana L
(mysticmoose) - F

Locale: Great Lakes region
Re: How many people... on 02/17/2008 08:19:28 MST Print View

I could outfit 3 (including me) if they shared shelters and cooking gear. If you include the gear I've bought my mom that she keeps at her house, it would bump up to 4.

I do use all my gear, though. I just have fine-tuned my system for each season. Some of the stuff I'd lend out might not be the lightest for that season (ie Exped DAM 9 in summer). I couldn't outfit more than myself and one other person per season.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re: How many people... on 02/17/2008 08:51:01 MST Print View

I will admit to 4, perhaps more if I was to gather all my stuff in one place. I have a summer setup, a winter setup and a very cold setup just for me and my wife that is not included in my estimate.
Is that bad?

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re:How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/17/2008 09:38:19 MST Print View

In various styles, I can easily handle 7.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Minimalist Gear Head on 02/17/2008 09:59:36 MST Print View

I'm a gear head, yes, but also a minimalist who hate clutter. I have basically two sets of gear -- one light weight for leisurely hikes and one UL for tougher hikes. I'll buy only to replace. Thank heavens for Ebay.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/17/2008 10:16:56 MST Print View

It really depends a lot...for instance, if everyone was like me and happy sleeping on torso-sized close cell foam mats, did not treat water, and was willing to at least double up for sleeping/tenting and cooking, then possibly 7 (the limitation being the sleeping bags/quilts). If they're gonna be picky campers, then probably 2 max. To be fair though, half of the gear we own belongs to my better half.

Joseph Williams
(deadogdancing) - F

Locale: SW England
good thread on 02/17/2008 11:17:05 MST Print View

presently 2 in summer, one in winter. That's less than in previous times, but a low paid job and no access to credit has meant the sale of all gear not presently in use, and a pretty strict 'one in, one out' policy about buying and selling major items. For this, on the whole, I'm thankful.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
How many people can you outfit on 02/17/2008 11:41:39 MST Print View

I've been collecting stuff since 1972, and I don't think I've ever thrown anything out. I guess about 12 people, perhaps more (packs, sleeping bags, tents, stoves, pots, flashlights, etc). A lot of my stuff is heavy by today's standards so I only use it for car camping.

Later...did an inventory...make that 15 people, more for certain items, I may be one or two short on pads, though.

Edited by ewolin on 02/17/2008 11:55:12 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
WoooWee! on 02/17/2008 16:46:26 MST Print View

Elliot,
FIFTEEN outfits! You DA MAN! I bow before your gear hoard. Bet there's a Svea 123 stove in there too. Maybe a Kelty or Camp Trails frame pack? Or both?

Congrats! You get the BPL Lifetime Achievement Award in the category of GEAR.

Eric
"He who wears out the most gear wins."

Edited by Danepacker on 02/17/2008 16:47:16 MST.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Award? My wife thinks I'm crazy! on 02/17/2008 18:48:43 MST Print View

Ah, my old heavy stuff, much of it from my climbing days in Washington. I don't list all the new lightweight stuff I've purchased over the past years to replace the heavy stuff, and also to outfit our three kids:

Stoves: Svea (my favorite!), an Optimus 8R, 111B, and a OO kerosene, also a Primus, and an MSR XGK. Oh yes, a Coleman as well.

External frame packs: Two REI and a very nice Alpine Designs.

Bags: Two REI 5 3/4 lb winter bags, two REI 3 1/2 lb 3-season sewn-through duck-down (yes, sewn-through). Some Kelty too.

Pads: Many Thermarest, a black Ensolite, and some blue foam. Also some really thick, heavy, and comfortable ones, I forget the brand names. I recall now that the white Ensolite dried out and I actually threw them out.

Internal frame: Wilderness Experience, a few Lowe, a Jansport, a North Face, and a Gregory Snow Creek. Also, a heavy Millet rucksack, and an REI as well. And many, many day packs.

Tents: REI double A-frame, Sierra Designs Dome, Eureka 5-person, Kelty 4-person.

Sadly, the list goes on and on...

Edited by ewolin on 02/19/2008 18:29:17 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: WoooWee! on 02/17/2008 20:12:51 MST Print View

Heaven forbid, but should disaster strike and FEMA runs out, we now know where to go. Thanks in advance, Elliot! :)

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "How Many People Can You Outfit?" on 02/17/2008 20:44:01 MST Print View

Besides us, we could outfit 6 comfortably, including pads, packs, sleeping bags, tents, water treatment, stoves, cookware, etc.
Uncomfortably, we could outfit 11.
And, since we do this on a regular basis, I have no shame in hanging on to all this gear. :-)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/17/2008 21:34:10 MST Print View

Mattresses limit it to 4
Cook sets make it 6
Backpacks make it 7
Tents make it 7 (9 if you count bivies)
Sleeping bags make it 9
Stoves make at least 15 (I got tired of counting)

Can you tell I'm single?

P.S. Just read Elliott's post. I'm only a poor excuse for an outfitter.

Edited by redleader on 02/17/2008 21:38:35 MST.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "How Many People Can You Outfit?" on 02/17/2008 22:52:49 MST Print View

Oh Yeah! I forgot hammocks. 2 more!

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/18/2008 00:28:01 MST Print View

Using "my gear", I can equip two people on a three season trip. A guest would use a combination of winter items, items which I take on group trips rather than solo trips. There are also a few items I haven't ebayed because it's been really handy to be able to equip friends who are new to backpacking with loaner gear.

Using all of our 3 person's family gear (assuming some sharing of shelters), my family can equip 3 adults and two kids.

Guest would get: Osprey Ather 60 (loaner), tarptent squall2 (loaner), wm versalite (winter), foam pad (winter), aqua mira (extra), snowpeak gigi power stove (group), evenew 1.3l pot (group)

My gear: Granite Gear Vapor Trail, spinnshelter (solo) or tarptent double rainbow (if sharing with someone, down quilt, BA insulated aircore, aqua mira, ion alcohol stove, evernew .9l pot

Kyle Hetzer
(Ghost93) - F

Locale: Western MD
Re: How Many People Can You Outfit? on 02/18/2008 08:35:31 MST Print View

Too many. Ahhh, if I had to choose, probly 3-5 people depending on shared gear, like cooking systems and shelters.