10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 02/13/2008 09:48:35 MST Print View

This is the quilt Aaron made for me. The shell and lining is Momentum Ripstop and insulation is 2.5oz Climashield XP.

Sit tight & savour the pics.

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa

Edited by huzefa on 02/13/2008 20:00:54 MST.

Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 11:33:19 MDT Print View

looks great! and 10.1 oz! wow. can you explain though how it closes up along the backside? i can't quite get it from the pictures. thanks.

Edited by derekcox on 05/25/2008 11:36:07 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 14:31:21 MDT Print View

Hey Derek,
The back is just a loop that the long piece of fabric goes through (like on the 2nd to last pic).
there is a long enough piece of fabric that it doubles back and will rest (the 2 of them) right on the side of your body.
all you have to do if you move around and the quilt untucks is grab the fabric and pull. Either or both side will be pulled back under you because it is doubled back.

The foot just has 2 sets of loops that are stagered with one piece of fabric that pulls them together.
The footbox is just a draw string and the fabric piece that closes up the bottom goes into the cord lock with the footbox cord.

Huzeffa wanted to be able to completely open up the quilt and this was just the simplest and lightest ways to accomplish that.

Here are the pics of my quilt that I use for the bottom to close it up.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9941/index.html?skip_to_post=78678#78678

mark cole
(marklivia)
Re: Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 16:56:51 MDT Print View

Aaron, I must be dense cause i still don't quite get it.

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 18:36:28 MDT Print View

I am planning on making a roughly 30 degree quilt w/ 1 layer of 5 oz/sq yd climashield and momentum. I do not plan on using quilt loops, which it appears you did not use.

1 general quilt-making ?:

when you sew the the insulation to the layers of momentum, do you place the insulation on top of the 2 layers of momentum and sew through both layers of momentum or do you sew the insulation to one layer of momentum first and then sew the two momentum layers again separately. If the insulation was sewn through both layers of momentum, wouldn't the insulation be compressed when it is turned inside out? Or is this not much of an issue with climashielf? Sorry if I am not explaining this well.

pictures to try and explain (not drawn to scale):

option #1:

purple = 2 layers of momentum
white = 1 layer of climashielf
dashed line = seam where all 3 layers are sewn together (1 side left open)

option 1

option #2:

purple = 2 layers of momentum
white = 1 layer of momentum
black dashed line = seam through top layer of momentum and climashield
white dashed line = seam through just both layers of momentum
note - distance from edge of climashield to to white dashed line equals loft of climashield

option 2

sry for the long post

Edited by pedro87 on 05/25/2008 20:16:47 MDT.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 20:12:18 MDT Print View

quilt
aa

I hope this helps.

>If the insulation was sewn through both layers of momentum, wouldn't the insulation be compressed when it is turned inside out?

not sure if I understand you. Insulation where stitched will obviously get compressed.

I will best leave it to Aaron to answer your question.

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 20:20:11 MDT Print View

I know I am not explaining it well, sry :)

I know that the insulation where it is stitched over will get compressed but wont the small bit of insulation between the edge of climashield and the stitching (can't sew right on edge of climashield, need slight space) get compressed, or am I just stressing over such a tiny bit of insulation that it is insignificant?

BTW Huzefa, that quilt Aaron made for you looks awesome!

Edited by pedro87 on 05/25/2008 20:27:30 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 20:53:49 MDT Print View

Hey Peter,
I leave about 3/4" extra fabric on each side for the seams.
I just take all 3 edges of the top, bottom, and insulation and sew it in about a 1/2" from the edge.
Then I fold over both the top and bottom of Momentiun back over the outer edge and sew the 2 together as close to the edge as I can so it looks clean.
What you get is a folded edge that can take some abuse along with two stitches all the way around to hold everything together.

The fabric will seam loose because the insulation does not stay perfect giving the appearance of excess Momentium.
Once you are inside, everything looks uniform.

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/25/2008 21:16:19 MDT Print View

thanks a lot for that explanation, that definitely makes things clearer

Michael Gardner
(ekim765) - F

10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/26/2008 00:22:06 MDT Print View

Just wondering without being too nosey...
Roughly how much does a homemade quilt such as this one cost to make as far as the materials go? I know you can purchase some kits online w/ materials included for around $60.00 to start.
Also, what is the anticipated temp. rating?

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/26/2008 09:33:24 MDT Print View

Hey Mike,
5 yards of Momentium - $70
3 yards of Climahield 2.5 - $20

Total $90

I only charge Huzeffa $85 because I had tons of material and only used lightly over 4 yard of Momentium and just over 2 yards of insulation.

it only took about 2-3 hours of work, and I like to do that so cost is low on my end, but depends on the time spent.
a baffled down bag takes 10-12 hours to make.

Michael Gardner
(ekim765) - F

Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 05/26/2008 20:47:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Aaron,

I'd like to PM you later on for more details if you don't mind.

Stephen Lastname
(hootyhoo) - F

Locale: East TN
Re: 10.1oz SUL quilt (made by Aaron) on 06/04/2008 18:50:46 MDT Print View

That is an awsome concept. I really like the way you utilize simple yet effective method to keep the quilt closed. Man that is cool.