Yesterday
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Lane
(KEVINLANE) - F
Yesterday on 02/11/2008 19:21:24 MST Print View

Just reflecting on where we have come in ten or so years. I was wondering how many folks know the answers to the following. If you do just say you do, do not say what it is
Who / What is a"
1. McConnick?
2. McO
3. Where did the creator of the Arc Alpinist get his trail name?
4. What is a Walking Bellie?
5. What did Kurt do?
6. What prize did we seek at construction sites?
7. Who explained that his pack would always be in excess of 30 pounds because of the great amount of camera gear that would always be carried?

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Locale: North Texas
Yesterday on 02/11/2008 22:05:07 MST Print View

1. Yep
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. Yep
5. Yep
6. Yep
7. Nope
Guess I'm not as ultralite smart as I thought....

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
I don't know why I'm doing this... on 02/13/2008 22:22:24 MST Print View

I don't know why I would post and show my complete and utter ignorance. But here it goes!

1) Nope
2) Nope
3) Nope
4) Nope
5) Nope
6) Nope
7) Nope

Edited by splproductions on 02/13/2008 22:23:04 MST.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
re: I don't know why I'm doing this. on 02/14/2008 06:49:06 MST Print View

Ryan,
Don't feel too bad, I didn't get a single one of them either. I must be a cultural infidel!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
it's not what we know on 02/15/2008 12:46:08 MST Print View

Sartre said " it's not what we could do , it's what we can do today". The corollary to this is 'It's not what we knew but what we know today'
It really isn't a measure of how far we've come, knowing a group of arcane facts. This is such a regional activity in which we can go back to the days of holubars, kelty, gerry cunningham, norman clyde, or that first sierra ultralighter, some guy named muir, james d. savage, a couple of handfuls of first nation peoples. Rewind history along the way and very little has actually changed, only materials and technology, much for the better. Resourceful ultralighters have always been here.
This stoopid profanity blocker wouldn't let me print Kelty's first either.

Al Shaver
(Al_T.Tude) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast
Muirons on 03/04/2008 02:23:28 MST Print View

Larry - Since you have invoked the mighty name of John Muir on a backpacking website, I feel compelled to report that this Hall of Famer conservationist considered backpacking to be one of the most moronic activities engaged in by mankind (this was before Congress authorized the flooding of the "other" Yosemite Valley). He preferred to distribute half a loaf of bread amongst his pockets, toss a bedroll over his shoulder and "go for a walk in the woods".

None the less, 90% of my most spectacular and spiritual backpacking experiences would not have occurred without the efforts of this great man.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Muirons on 03/04/2008 08:45:09 MST Print View

...and then he proceeded to mooch off of anyone and everyone he ran across....

But he did enjoy the outdoors, and introduced many to its pleasures.