Cooking Mishap--am I still safe?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: No-H2O Baking on 02/11/2008 18:51:50 MST Print View

Here is the YouTube video URL for Tinny's hot rocks baking.

Hot Rocks

-Mark

Edited by markhurd on 02/11/2008 18:52:32 MST.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitive Reply - You're Uncoated Ti is NOT damaged on 02/12/2008 08:39:02 MST Print View

"Yes, you can bake in two titanium pots without using water. I used to use a Evernew .9 liter pot and a snowpeak bowl. They nest great together. Now I use the pot that comes with the Tri-ti and a cut down evernew sierra cup."

Ooh! I've been looking for something that would fit the TT. I knew the SPBowl wouldn't fit. What all did you need to cut off to make it work?

PS - That with the feather fire (or FF XL) that someone around here has mentioned using with the TT (for simmer control being external to the cone) could make for a slick little trail baking kit as the holes in the lid of the TT could hold a thermometer...

Edited by jdmitch on 02/12/2008 08:40:28 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
You're Uncoated Ti is NOT damaged, and Perhaps not your Coated... on 02/18/2008 20:30:34 MST Print View

Regarding the overheating of titanium cookware and “coated nonstick” cookware I did a bit of poking around and received 2 interesting replies.
I emailed Evernew and Vargo Outdoors regarding their ceramic coating, asking

“… can you assure me that your titanium non-stick pots are fluorocarbon free?

“Please forgive my pointed questions. I have learned that many manufactures have been less than honest when it comes to this topic, stating their product does not use "Teflon", when in fact it uses a generic fluorocarbon coating. (Different name, same issues.) Or that they "use an inert ceramic coating", and omit the fact that a fluorocarbon layer is added later.

And I received the following replies….

>Hi Greg,
>The coating on our pots are fluorocarbon free.
>Best,
>Brian (Vargo)

AND

>Dear: Customer
>The inside coating does not contain PTFE (Poly Tetra Fluro Ethilyn??)
>Takashi Fukuchi
>EVERNEW AMERICA
>1410 Boyd Street
>Los Angeles, CA 90033
>TEL: 323-319-3584

I believe they believe, but if anyone has additional information or insights I’d appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Edited by greg23 on 02/18/2008 20:32:01 MST.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: Interior Coatings... on 02/18/2008 20:38:04 MST Print View

Greg,

Hmm... that's interesting. Can they provide MSDS sheets on what their coating is?

I'd be awful curious as to what their coating are...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Interior Coatings... on 02/18/2008 21:53:04 MST Print View

Joshua,
Their coating is "ceramic silicon..... etc". Which is hard.

But the non-stick aspect is still illusive.

I've never seen a MSDS for manufactured hardware, only for chemical type stuff. [I did't get one with my Wally World skillet, but it is available for their thinners.]

I did get a "Certificate of Safety" from Evernew, in Japanese, which I assume says "This product is safe....." ;-)

I'll keep poking.

Edited by greg23 on 02/18/2008 21:56:02 MST.

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Re: Re: Definitive Reply - You're Uncoated Ti is NOT damaged on 02/19/2008 06:55:06 MST Print View

For Joshua and other ti-tri bakers.

I took the Evernew sierra cup and removed the wire handle. Then I marked the cup at the same height as the 12-10 stove. By cutting it to the same height as the stove it can now fit under the sierra cup.

I cut the cup slightly above the mark with Wiss snips. Then I sand the cup down smooth with metal emery paper to the marked line. It would be safer with a rounded lip but dont know how to do that, torch maybe? I have not had any problems but dont want anyone to sue me if they cut their lips. I warned you.

Cut down Sierra Cup

Here are some pictures of my system.

Mesh Bag on

The pink handels are painted on platinum silicon from smooth-on. We will see how long they last with using wood.

Mesh Bag Removed

You can see in this picture how 12-10 stove nests in the sierra cup.

System Broken Out

To get the ziplock container to fit you need to cut of some plastic edging on the ziploc's rim and sand down the bumps on the ziploc lid.

Sanded Lid

Everything does nest pretty nicely in the pot. Needed to cut down the measuring cup a little.
Inside pot

I had to enlarge the center hole in the pot lid so that the thermometer would fit.
Baking thermometer

Edited by JasonS on 02/19/2008 09:03:16 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Definitive Reply - You're Uncoated Ti is NOT damaged on 02/19/2008 08:52:14 MST Print View

I eliminated a few of the Re:s to preserve the subject line.

g.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: Tri-Ti Baking Setup on 02/19/2008 11:58:59 MST Print View

Nicely done, Jason. I really like the setup.

Now to find a usably inexpensive ti sierra cup...

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Don't drink (or sniff?) the Kool-Aid! on 02/21/2008 22:41:07 MST Print View

Alcohol is typically denatured by adding some combination of methanol, isopropanol, acetone, MEK, MIK, naphtha, or other nasties. This renders it unfit for human consumption (can cause blindness or death), and likely renders the fumes acutely toxic. Some formulations have additives to make it taste bitter, smell bad, and/or induce vomiting. It would seem unwise to smell it while burning.

You might consider using Everclear if you intend to continue previous practices!

Your new psychedelic Ti (and TiO2) pot is fine. Your baking methods may require work, but I can't help you there - my specialty is boiling water.

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Everclear on 02/21/2008 23:30:10 MST Print View

Hey thanks for reminding me about using Everclear. Unlike many places, it's readily available in central TX.

I've been wondering, in terms of BTU/oz, does it compare favorably with other alky stove fuels like denatured and the methanol blends that tinny likes? What about burn characteristics? In short, is Everclear a good indoor-safe fuel to use in place of denatured, and maybe on trail too?

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Re: Everclear on 02/22/2008 15:16:15 MST Print View

Really, the only difference between Everclear and Denatured is that denatured has toxic compounds added to it. Everclear is, more or less, pure food grade ethanol. BTU whould be the same as denatured and higher than methanol.

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Everclear fumes on 02/24/2008 16:57:44 MST Print View

And what about the byproducts of combustion? I know the SLX denatured can advertises that it burns clean--which is clearly not true based on my headache--but since Everclear doesn't have any of those extra nasty ingredients, does this mean it's safe to burn indoors (and/or under a tarp)? Does it actually burn "clean" ?

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Clean burning and Everclear on 02/29/2008 21:11:38 MST Print View

Any alcohol combustion cycle would have the potential to generate carbon monoxide. Different sort of headache - one that you might not wake up from.