Paria Wilderness Utah/Arizona
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Grube
(plosive) - F

Locale: Above Cache Creek, CA
Paria Wilderness Utah/Arizona on 08/30/2005 17:11:04 MDT Print View

Would you like to backpack the Paria Canyonlands Wilderness? Check out my trip report.

http://www.venturingoutdoors.com/Hiking/Trip%20Reports/Paria_report.htm

At the bottom click on the video clip, gear list, time-line and photo gallery.

Plosive
"Light is right"

Edited by plosive on 08/30/2005 17:13:20 MDT.

Harry Dodge
(harry@dodgekahn.com) - F
quicksand in paria on 08/31/2005 09:39:38 MDT Print View

great trip diary. i did that trip north to south. september 1995. there was tons of 1-2 foot deep, very mischievious patches of QUICKSAND. you didn't mention that. has it disappeared?

when i went the weather was perfect. we walked in that chocolatey water for 4 days. 6 inches deep to 5 feet deep. sometimes with quicksand under. we had to be ready to throw our packs off at a moments notice when the bottom of the river just pretty much disappeared.

it was an incredible trip though. well worth it. nice pics, thanks for the memories.

Paul Grube
(plosive) - F

Locale: Above Cache Creek, CA
quicksand on 01/17/2006 11:45:07 MST Print View

On our trip there was very little quicksand. Maybe that was due to the fact that there was so much moving water. Should be a noticable contrast to what this spring is shaping up to be with the lack of rain/snowpack in the southwest (not the northwest). By the way, be sure to check out the short video clip at the end of the article.
Plosive
"Light is right"

Mark W Heninger
(heninger) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: quicksand on 01/17/2006 14:45:42 MST Print View

I did Paria in 2003 and loved it. We were there in june and saw very little water and no pools.

It is a great hike.