Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Outdoor Education ?'s
Display Avatars Sort By:
J Bailey
(jbaile38) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Outdoor Education ?'s on 02/06/2008 14:31:59 MST Print View

I've been pondering the idea of becoming active in outdoor education. As a student teacher (high school mathematics) and backcountry enthusiast, it really ties my interests together.

The bad news is that my backcountry experience is limited to four years of group and solo backpacking, including an upcoming Colorado Trail through hike. I've done a small amount of rock climbing, and an even smaller amount of winter mountaineering during a 21 day Outward Bound course. I really want to expand my backcountry skills and experiences for there own sake, but I have another goal which demands this

My goal is to eventually lead or act as an instructor on hiking trips, either for an outdoor education school, an expedition-based charter school or a NPO. I know that these positions require highly experienced people with well-rounded, and tested backcountry skills as well as a variety of certificates. This is however, about all I know.

For those who do know:

Weighing my experience and my goal... is the goal realistic or am I pipe-dreaming?

Generally, what skills/certificate would I need to develop/obtain in order to reach my goal?

Are there formal classes for all of these skills, or are they things that I would need to pick up through others?

Where could I turn to for additional information?

What other advice would you give me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Justin

Edited by jbaile38 on 02/06/2008 14:35:35 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Outdoor Education ?'s on 02/11/2008 07:59:10 MST Print View

Weighing my experience and my goal... is the goal realistic or am I pipe-dreaming?
- totally realistic. Lots of people come to outdoor ed without a lot of experience. Being able to teach, keep people safe, organize trips, etc are much more important than bag nights for most companies.

Generally, what skills/certificate would I need to develop/obtain in order to reach my goal?

- Wilderness First Responder and that's about it for certs. LNT trainer course is also helpful. Skills wise, it's best to be solid in all aspects of backpacks. Do you know Map and Compass well enough to teach it? Can you use a GPS in conjunction with a map? Start a fire after it's been raining for three days? etc...

Are there formal classes for all of these skills, or are they things that I would need to pick up through others?

- You could take the NOLS outdoor instructor course (which is expensive). All companies offer trainings or their own, but you're expected to know your stuff.

Where could I turn to for additional information?

- call companies. check out outdoored.com

What other advice would you give me?

- It's generally very low pay and if you're not full time, more of a hobby. Staffed by young people. Companies vary widely in what they do, so look around for something that is less hardcore.