Everest base camp SUL
Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL/UM on 02/04/2008 23:28:45 MST Print View

You can PM me if you are interested in the gearlist.

I think the big question is: will 5oz XP jacket/pant will keep me warm in my summer quilt.

I havent yet thought of food, medicine, and many other essentials. Any suggestions for them will be appreciated as well ideas on cutting down weight.

Edited by huzefa on 10/02/2008 01:13:14 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Everest Base Camp on 02/05/2008 12:41:56 MST Print View

Huzefa:

If I recall correctly, you wrote that haven't really hiked/camped before, right? Sorry if I am wrong -- ignore the rest of this -- but if otherwise, then I wonder if SUL is the way to go for you.

Now, beyond a certain point, more gear does not automatically mean more safety. However, below a certain point, less gear will mean less room for error. I haven't been there... but I understand that weather can vary tremendously -- even when it's not winter -- and I think your clothing is inadequate.

Anyway just food for thought. BTW, did you receive your tee shirts?

Edited by ben2world on 02/05/2008 12:51:01 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Everest base camp SUL on 02/05/2008 15:25:16 MST Print View

Huzefa,
What is the temperature like at that time? I was there in May, and it gets pretty chilly at night. Are you planning on just going to base camp and back? If you stick to the main trail, you can leave the tent and pad at home and stay in the villages - same with eating - but you already knew that.
Water treatement? Buying boiled water starts to get pricey.
Bring some extra socks.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/05/2008 23:32:00 MST Print View

Benj, ofcourse I have hiked/camped before. I atleast do once or twice a month.

You are right about I need more insulation. But what kind of? Should I use 2 layers of 5ox XPfor the jacket (which I think will not be very versatile) or should I leave 2.5oz XP at home and use 5oz XP quilt. The goal is to be as light as possible.

Steve, I haven't thought much about the route. But I assumed that there will be no village at base camp so I will need a tent. But what you saying is that I can go up to the base camp and return back to village in a day. That great news!

Removing trekking pole, tent, woolen base layer. Adding shorts, hood, water treatment -chlorine dioxide.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 00:55:53 MST Print View

Sorry... I remembered or read wrong...

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 02:48:54 MST Print View

Removing Relay, quilt, capilene 1. Adding capilene 4.

Capilene 4 + 5oz XP/momemtum + XCR= SUL voila!

Edited by huzefa on 02/06/2008 02:52:18 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: EBC sul list on 02/06/2008 16:44:28 MST Print View

"But I assumed that there will be no village at base camp so I will need a tent"

Correct, there is not one AT base camp, but there is one about 2-3 hours from basecamp. So, unless you want to actually sleep at basecamp, you don't need a tent. The village is called Gorak Shep. It basically caters to trekkers heading to base camp and climbing ("uphill walking") Kala Patar. You can hike from Gorak Shep and spend the day at basecamp chatting with the climbers and snapping photos, then return in the afternoon and stay in one of the lodges.
While I think basecamp is great, there is much more to see if you have the time.
Also, did you find out what the temps would be at that time?
You could try to go SUL and if things didn't work out, head to one of the lodges and sit in front of the Yak Dung fire...mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 21:19:39 MST Print View

I found it. In november it will be around -10c in the evening, so the source says. You can read the details here if you like.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/ExWebseries-WinterclimbingTheBADchart,part2Dec172004.shtml

with SUL I think I can go very fast so as to finish by evening and retire early.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 22:27:36 MST Print View

Thanks for the excellent info on Gorakshep. I read about Kala Patthar and it sounds interesting. I will definately summit it. Can you tell me how much the lodging at Gorak shep costs?

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 22:28:36 MST Print View

Hey Hezefa,
I'm thinking that -10c could be the perfect temperature to try out a light weight vapor barrier system.

You would just need to get experienced with it at the minimum temp you are planning on sleeping in.

My aspect of anything for camping is that you can get away with anything while you're moving so as long as you have a warm enough sleeping bag and can get protection from the elements, then resorting to the bag as soon as you stop will work.

you need to be careful with the jacket and pants that you plan on keeping you warm. They will work great in conjunction with the bag to keep you warmer at night, but outside during the cold you need a good warm layer right next to your skin to hold your warmth in.
A capaline 4 that fits like a shirt will be warm but also having something with spandex that fits closer will keep you much warmer.

I'm a sucker for a warm bag, but it looks like a good start.
If you aren't familiar with experiencing the temps you will be in or if the "S" hits the fan, a plan "B" could be your best option.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/06/2008 23:48:42 MST Print View

Thanks Aaron. Can you name some manufacturers that use spandex?

I am removing capilene 4 for now and looking for cheaper/better alternatives.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/07/2008 00:03:37 MST Print View

Steve, do you get good warm blankets at rest stops/lodges?

I will be going fast and the weather during day will be too warm for 5oz XP, so I can drop that too. If the answer is no that I will have to carry a pack and get my 2.5XP quilt. I can make a very good silk liner which will make my bag warmer. I can also carry my merino wool sweater.

Removing 5oz XP hoody/pants. Adding 2.5XP quilt, merino wool sweater.

Edited by huzefa on 02/07/2008 06:07:33 MST.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Route: Everest base camp SUL on 02/07/2008 00:07:58 MST Print View

I think I will be starting my trek at Lukla. Lukla->Labuche->EBC/Kala Patthar. The flight cost is pretty reosonable of Indian nationals- around $50 return. It would cost me that much for the 7 day trek from Jiri. Also it would be better if I finish early in December.

Edited by huzefa on 03/31/2008 21:28:59 MDT.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Route: Everest base camp SUL on 02/07/2008 12:21:07 MST Print View

Huzefa,
To answer a few questions...

If memory serves me correctly, the lodging at Gorak Shep is about $2/night or so. Food is equally as cheap for basics. Most expensive item is the rare and highly sought after Snickers bar. :)

The teahouses supply blankets, they are not nice, but they will keep you sorta warm in a pinch. I would recomend you bring the quilt, and layer the blankets underneath when required.

Looking again at your list, you didn't have the insulation layer, so as long as you don't mind hopping in your quilt early on (i did that too), you should be good. Have you decided to stay in Teahouses? They usually make a little fire so you can sit by it to keep warm.

Now, I know this is the gear list section, but is your actual itinerary Lukla>Lobuche>EBC? I would very much like you to have success on the trip and believe that itinerary would literally kill the average man.

Also, are you flying direct to Lukla from India? Or do you connect in Kathmandu...I payed about $100 to Fly just from Kathmandu to Lukla.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 02/07/2008 21:40:02 MST Print View

Steven, thanks for info.

I'm kinda decided on teahouses. They are cheap and the fire sounds pleasant. lets see..

$50 Return is kathmandu to Lukla for Indian Nationals/Nepali (think SAARC). I think I will take a bus from Delhi to kathmandu.

making some change in the list. Adding capilene 3 -I think they will be better for hiking. Adding wool base layer top/bottom for evening. Removing sweater -they have loose sleeve which dumps a lot of my heat.

Lukla>Lobuche>EBC?! :) no. It was just to give an idea. I will post a detailed one soon.

I think I will have to remove XCR. They will be too hot to hike in and I dont expect rain in December. I am looking for a good windshirt alternative.

Edited by huzefa on 02/08/2008 03:48:41 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Everest base camp SUL on 02/08/2008 05:54:29 MST Print View

Ahhhh, yes, you are correct - i think the flight is more expensive for the tourists.
As for your itinerary, a good site for trekking in Nepal is:

http://trekinfo.com/forums/index.php

I haven't visited the forum in a year or so, but they have some very knowledgable people on the forum. I can give you a hand with some stuff, but if you want specifics about weather that time of year, what will be open/closed that time of year, current prices, maoist situation, etc....they can definitely help.

Oh yeah, scrap the rain gear. If it rains, go inside, and by the time you are high enough, it will be snow. You're going to have a blast!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Everest base camp SUL on 02/08/2008 05:54:30 MST Print View

Edited by Steve_Evans on 02/08/2008 05:55:52 MST.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
EBC route: Everest base camp SUL on 02/10/2008 08:45:45 MST Print View

I will use 'hike high/sleep low' technique to acclimatize faster/better. I will go up around 1000 ft/night. I am also thinking of hiking Gokyo. Let see..

Sleeping itinerary
1st night -Lukla(9,380 ft)//hike to Namche
2nd night -Namche Bazaar(11,286 ft)//hike to Tengboche and return Namche
3rd night -Namche Bazaar(11,286 ft))//hike Pangboche & return Tengboche
4th night -Tengboche (12,687 ft)//Dingboche & return Pang
5th night -Pangboche (13??? ft)// hike to Labuche & return Ding
6th night -Dingboche(14,800 ft)// hike to EBC & return Lobuche
7th night -Lobuche (16???ft)// Kala Patthar (18,192 ft) & return Labuche
8th night -Labuche
9th night -Pangboche
10th night -Namche Bazaar
11th night -Lukla

I think I will have to add 5oz XP jacket/pant back. There is simply no way I can survive without it.

Edited by huzefa on 02/10/2008 22:10:38 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: EBC route: Everest base camp SUL on 02/14/2008 06:57:49 MST Print View

I can't comment on the route as i did something different, but it seems you have done some research and that will most likely work. The extra insulation might be nice as it may be harder for you to stay warm at that altitude. You'll be sweating during the day and cold at night, so it may be a good choice.
As for Gokyo side, I was there aswell and it is equally as beautiful - if you are heading to EBC, you can cross over the Chola Pass on the way back and save yourself a bunch of time getting there. The Gokyo side also has some spots for camping - if you decide to bring a shelter...

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Everest base camp SUL on 03/31/2008 22:28:33 MDT Print View

Thanks Steven, you posts have have been very helpful. After your last post you got me thinking about shelter. I still have to study EBC-Gokyo route in details but I estimate that at my pace it should take between 16-18 days. I have been studying tent designs for sometime and I think I can make tunnel tent. I have made several changes in my gear list as you can see. Also added Relay back. I think everything should easily fit in relay. Hey, right now with all that SUL gear, I think I can even summit Everest in Relay! What do you think?