Forum Index » Chaff » Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/04/2008 21:39:51 MST Print View

So I'm a young guy, never really had a "medical bill" other than the usual check-up. Well, I spent a couple days in the ER two weeks ago and also had an endoscopy, then the next Saturday my wife got taken from Park City to SLC in an ambulance after a snowboarding accident.

I got SOME of the bills today. What the crap! How many digits is that?! I had no idea it was so much! If I would have known that I wouldn't have gone to the hospital!

Anyways, looks like I won't be ordering my SuperProphet, and I should probably return the GoLite Ultra 20 I just ordered. (But I won't).

((Two posts in the "Chaff" section for me in one day. That's bad. I'm doing everything I possible can to avoid studying Physiology.))

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/04/2008 22:08:45 MST Print View

Ya, I just got a bill for 1200.00 for some stiches in my finger.
On top of that the Dems in MA are finning me 250.00 for the crime of not being able to afford health insurance.
Thanks O' great politicians!

Edited by MAYNARD76 on 02/04/2008 22:14:27 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/04/2008 22:22:55 MST Print View

"On top of that the Dems in MA are finning me 250.00 for the crime of not being able to afford health insurance.
Thanks Ol' Dem. pals'"

Hi Brian,

Vote the "Ol' Dem.pals" out of office.

It is a good thing the AT only has about 90 miles in MA. What do you think your "Ol Dem. Pals" are going to do to some poor AT hiker that gets hurt passing through MA on the AT?

Jay Well
(jwell) - F

Locale: Willamette Valley
Move to Mexico on 02/04/2008 22:32:00 MST Print View

I was doing a bike our through Baja Mexico last December and at one point got very sick and had to go to a hospital for treatment. I spent over 15 hours in the emergency room getting fluids, having numerous tests run and x-rays taken. When I left the charge was only $500 pesos, right around $50US. When I asked why it was so inexpensive it was explained to me that government highly subsidized all the medical treatment. The entire time I was in the hospital no one asked to see my passport, insurance card or anything like that, I was just taken in and treated. It was a much different experience than going to a US hospital, but I was treated and was able to continue on journey, and as a bonus I also got to keep the x-rays!!

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/04/2008 22:33:57 MST Print View

Your too quick Bill I tried to be a little more diplomatic and changed the wording a little bit, but hey you are right -I honestly dont know what will happen to thrus who use the MA hospitals. I think the idea is that they can say 'look we have 100% health care " after they force every one to get it whether they can afford it or not. I should note that Romney went along with too.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/05/2008 09:11:49 MST Print View

Depending on your income levels, many hospitals will work with you on bills and lower the bills as well if you ask nicely. Before I got married I had no insurance and was being seen for my headaches and neuro issues. I was dying financially and I had a lady there ask me if I knew about the financial relief - that helped tremendously. They ended up cutting my bills by 60%, the next fiscal year they upped the amount you could make and I got I think 90% paid by them.

It can never hurt to ask if you are paying out of pocket!!

And I'll say this: insurance isn't cheap. Sure, my husband pays for it, and wow, does he PAY for it. The only good thing is I was able to have 3 MRI's done and see a neurologist finally (that isn't cheap) and only pay $15. Of course our monthly insurance bills cause me to have heartburn.

And if you really want to know expense....have a premature baby with an extended hospital stay. I did 10 years ago. The state covered me for that here in Washington. For that I will NEVER complain about the state's "poor" insurance here. I was 24 with no insurance and a high risk birth. I was told: don't worry, you are covered. I came out of the hospital with Ford healthy and not one cent in bills. Yes, I pay for it now in taxes, but I was grateful for it then.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

PS: Hope your feeling ok! on 02/05/2008 09:13:57 MST Print View

Meant to say: hope you are doing ok! And the wife as well!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Medical bills... can't these "Go Lite" as well? on 02/05/2008 10:17:41 MST Print View

Look into Health Savings Accounts...that is what I have now.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Health Savings Account on 02/05/2008 13:50:16 MST Print View

Is that like the Flex Savings Accounts for medical and child care? We use the Medical ones for all my dental work. This year my braces were paid in full on pretax income. Not bad. If you have regular bills or know what to expect, it is a good idea. But! You don't use it by 12/31, you lose the money!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Health Savings Account on 02/05/2008 14:00:07 MST Print View

You don't lose the money with an HSA. That is one thing that changed for the better. It's pretax money that accumulates like a retirement account.