Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Easing the pain of the GG Nightlight...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: thin pad on 02/05/2008 12:59:02 MST Print View

I dont have much of a problem sleeping on anything.. am am only 15

I tried out the nightlight for a while, its a good lightweight pad, no problems, but I switched back to my cut down Ridgerest (4.9oz), mostly because it is thinner and I can pack my gear easier with it rolled up in my pack than with the nightlight, and It has a higher R-value according to therm-a-rest website.

also.. I was always a little worried about the pad ripping and tearing at the seam, that I really dident need, bucause I was just rolling it in my pack, not folding for use with a GG pack.

If I were to try this style of pad again, I would just get one from Nunatak, and cut it down myself, so there is no seams.
but I dont know if i ever will again, I have been much happier with my old cut down ridgerest.
mabey its time for a new one of those...

Edited by ryanf on 02/05/2008 13:00:00 MST.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
site selection on 02/05/2008 13:48:21 MST Print View

I go back and forth about what I want to sleep on. I usually use blue a convulated foam pad from walmart that is about 6 or 7 years old and cut to torso length. I think it is extra wide which is nice. I just switched to regular blue pads for the full length which I value because of cold feet. I tried and returned a BA Ins. Aircore to REI b/c it was too much on the weight/comfort side of things as opposed to function (I was looking for warmth, DAM here I come!). I use one of those 2 oz thinlites in warm weather including a 2+ week trip last summer primarily in shelters. Talk about a rough nights sleep. I did find that sleeping on a nice spot of grass makes the thinlite more comfy than any foam pad in a shelter though. Site selection is an artform, and despite some crazy ideas and dated techniques by SUL standards, Ray Jardine has the absolute best description of how to go about site selection in his Beyond Backpacking book. The right spot can make all the difference in the world for a good nights sleep.

EDIT: Ryan, I just saw your post about how you are out in the desert and have no soft stuff. That sucks for SUL pads. Might as well get a montbell pad, or one of the insulated air mats if its a big deal.

Edited by willspower3 on 02/05/2008 13:54:43 MST.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Easing the pain of the GG Nightlight... on 02/06/2008 15:22:06 MST Print View

Hello guys and gals,
This is my first post here.

“What do you take (if anything) to help you sleep better on the GG Nightlight? (Even with a Thinlight underneath I still wake up every hour).”

I concur with taking vitamin T p.m. Wow. I wake up refreshed after that. Anyway, here’s my trick. Fyi, I’m 44, 5’8” 150lbs.

For my UL trips, I only go with the GG Torso pad (3.7oz, bumps down) with an 1.5”x30”x15” open cell pad (5.5oz, bumps up) on top. I then have my backpack under my legs. There’s a peace of mind not worrying about leakage. And you don’t lose air pressure during a cool night. This is comfy on my back and stomach. I may sleep on my side, but not for long.

May everyone find their sleeping zen :)

-Barry

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
1.5" closed cell pad? on 02/06/2008 21:40:51 MST Print View

Hey Barry,

Welcome to the site! I'm looking at the specs of that closed cell foam pad and scratching my head. The 15 inches is wide I assume, and 30" going along your torso, but where are you getting a closed cell foam pad that is 1.5" thick? Also, what does that weigh?

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: 1.5" closed cell pad? on 02/07/2008 15:48:48 MST Print View

“where are you getting a closed cell foam pad that is 1.5" thick? Also, what does that weigh?”

It weighs 5.5oz. I got my egg crate foam mat from Walmart about 2 years ago. It’s for a twin bed; and I cut a little bit off :).
The walmart now only has 1” thick. It doesn’t feel very good. I found a 1.5” open cell mat at Target. When I cut it down, it weighed less than 5.5oz. But it didn’t feel as comfortable. So density also plays a roll.

You can also find scrap pieces at stores that make beds.

It took me a little while (few months) to figure out a sleeping arrangement. I don’t think I’m there yet. Instead of a GG Torso pad, I sometimes take a Z-rest torso pad. I like my little open cell pad. If I lay it on a self-inflater, that feels real nice!

Good luck.

-Barry

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: 1.5" closed cell pad? on 02/07/2008 15:56:09 MST Print View

Ahhh, THAT kind of foam. I've used it on my bed too, but it's not really the kind of padding and R-value that most of us would prefer to carry. It's a much lighter, more compressible foam I believe. Could be good for folks like me who don't need much padding though...

Douglas McCoy
(dmccoy) - F

Locale: Spokane Wa
Re: Re: Re: Easing the pain of the GG Nightlight... on 02/10/2008 01:25:14 MST Print View

I had to ditch the GG pad last year as well. Now I only take it to use as a base pad for snow camping. I had to take the 3 ounce hit and went with the Montbell ul 90. It is plenty of pad for me and doubles as my pack frame in my cutome made Z pack. I am still within the uL range and might just be able to push it to SUL as soon as I can get a few items sewn up and some re-vamping of older heavier gear.