Forum Index » GEAR » Gossamer Gear "The One" Video

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes)

Locale: Midwest
Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 08:20:43 MST Print View

Check this video out! It shows Glen from Gossamer Gear setting up "The One":
http://www.vimeo.com/640029

Edited by brianjbarnes on 02/05/2008 22:06:06 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 09:19:08 MST Print View

I predict this little hummer is going to be very hard to keep in inventory.

At 16 ounces, Glen is about to give Henry Shires and Ron Moak some very serious competition for one person UL shelters, despite the higher $275 price point vs. the TT Contrail ($199 for 24.5 oz with stakes) and the Lunar Solo ($235 for 24.5 oz with stakes).

Supposedly due out Q1 2008, the big question is, will it be available for delivery in time for this year's crop of PCT Through-hikers leaving in April?

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 09:28:49 MST Print View

WOW!

Can't wait to see the specs.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 10:46:03 MST Print View

More details are in a practical backpacking thread about "the one"

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 10:49:07 MST Print View

From my work pc during the day the PB website always goes to disney website. Does anybody elses computer do that?

Maybe they blocked this IP address...

Edited by jshann on 02/04/2008 10:50:07 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 10:54:26 MST Print View

Practical Backpacking also has a Podcast segment (#33) with Gossamer Gear. The first half with Grant Sibel is about new products; the second half is with Glen talking about The One. http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/archives/000037_pbp_episode_33_new_at_gossamer_gear.php (sorry - I can't figure how to set up a URL link; only images, in one of these posts.)

For those who are not members of PB, here are the specs announced by PB, not GG, so far.

Availability 1 March
Cost $275 for spinnaker; no price for CF
Weights: Spinnaker 16 oz; Cuban Fiber 13 oz
Length 7 feet
Width: 26" at each end, 34" center
Height 47" (120 cm)
Full bathtub floor
Netting perimeter side walls
Zippered netting front
Zippered front vestibule
Rear peak vent

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/04/2008 14:13:45 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 10:58:41 MST Print View

Very interesting! Must be using spinnaker cloth to get that light (ala their Squall Classic). More choices are great even if I am a diehard HS fan.

It's also personally encouraging in that I've been playing (still on paper) with ideas for a similar shaped MYOG two pole solo shelter for MN winters if tarp/bivy proves to be outside my comfort zone.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 10:58:55 MST Print View

Don't you just love the sound of spinnaker in the breeze?

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 11:09:16 MST Print View

I have heard people complain about how noisy spinnaker is in the wind.... and I have not had that experience. Sure, when it's new and laying on the ground is noisy... but in a properly designed / pitched shelter it isn't bad. If fact, my first experience with spinnaker (in the spinshelter) was that it was a lot less noisy that silnylon. Why? I could get a super taut pitch which has basically no flapping. No flap, no noise. With sil-nylon you have to fight against the materials natural stretch. For example, take a look at the picture on my review of the spinnshelter. If you click on the thumbnail you will get the full resolution image. It shows almost no deflection in the face of a 20+ mph wind (e.g. I measured 20 mph... it most likely went higher than that). The spinnshelter had minimal side deflection with gusts measured on a later trip of 45 mph.

The other thing with spinnaker is that it "breaks in". When that happens the hand gets softer and it becomes less noisy.

Edited by verber on 02/04/2008 11:13:37 MST.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 11:15:50 MST Print View

Anybody know how well spinnaker works as a ground cloth with respect to abrasion resistance and waterproofness? I noticed in the video that Glen recommends the use of a groundcloth in all but the softest ground. I'm assuming this is because the one is using spinnaker for the bathtub floor.

Edited by dag4643 on 02/04/2008 11:17:21 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Spinnaker on 02/04/2008 11:26:28 MST Print View

Related to Daniel's question on waterproofness... how does spinnaker compare to silnylon in rainproofness? In a hard rain, there can be misting inside with silnlyon. Is spinnaker better, worse, the same?

Jay Well
(jwell) - F

Locale: Willamette Valley
Spinnaker as a groundcloth on 02/04/2008 11:41:22 MST Print View

I have been using a spinnaker groundcloth for about 1 year. I have used it on all my trips including numerous trips in the Northern Sierra last summer and a month long bike tour through Baja Mexico this winter where I camped in the desert almost every night. It has held up great and shows only minimal signs of use. Depending on what size you use it can be heavy compared to the GG polycryp, but more durable in the long run. I just hate the thought of throwing away plastic if I don't have to.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Spinnaker on 02/04/2008 12:59:41 MST Print View

> spinnaker compare to silnylon in rainproofness?

My experience with the spinnaker used in the spinnshelter / squall classic / "the one" is that it is more rainproof than the sil-nylon used by Henry for tarptents or brawny in her shelters. In conditions that I got some misting through sil-nylon I had not penetration through the spinnaker.

Jesse Squires
(shinfuro) - F
Anyone wanna buy a tarp and a bivy? on 02/04/2008 13:54:01 MST Print View

I just bought a tarp and bivy and then this comes out. Boy the wife wont be happy when I buy this hehe. This little tent looks cool and at 16oz wow! I am concerned about the waterproofness though.

Kevin Clayton
(kclayton) - F

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Re: Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 14:14:08 MST Print View

I think I will stick with my TT contrail mainly for the room inside of it for a tall person. This looks a little to tight for me.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One" photos on 02/04/2008 14:20:26 MST Print View

deleted by writer; trying again

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/04/2008 14:22:28 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One" photos on 02/04/2008 14:25:58 MST Print View

Pre-production photos from the net

Front view with vestibule deployed:
front view with vestibule deployed

Front view with half of the vestibule rolled up and stored; other half deployed
Front view with vestibule rolled up

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/04/2008 21:46:09 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Spinnaker on 02/04/2008 14:34:06 MST Print View

Thanks, Mark. That's very helpful.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Tent Support on 02/04/2008 14:37:15 MST Print View

Bob, what's holding up the tent? I don't see any poles??

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Tent Support on 02/04/2008 14:51:12 MST Print View

Never heard of a Sky Hook?

Actually, look again, the pic with the vestibule rolled up shows a pole. It is not straight (compressed into a bow by guy line tension). Just to the right of the vertical part of the zipper.

Any pics of the back side?

Edited by jcolten on 02/04/2008 14:52:48 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Why is the Pole Bowing? on 02/04/2008 16:11:23 MST Print View

Methinks the guying is way too tight if the vertical tent pole is bowing! A pole snap waiting to happen?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Why is the Pole Bowing? on 02/04/2008 16:36:43 MST Print View

Methinks the guying is way too tight if the vertical tent pole is bowing!

'tis the cost of getting a taut pitch for the picture ... tends to happen with my beloved HS TarpTents too and I would expect that the same pole would behave the same way used with all the competitors. With very careful tensioning, HS TT's can be taut with a straight pole. Perhaps a larger diameter (but a bit heavier) Easton pole would do better.

SUL DOES have it's compromises, after all.

A pole snap waiting to happen?

Perhaps ... I joined the trekking pole users (for the normal other reasons) so I don't worry about bowing poles any more.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hmmm... on 02/04/2008 16:40:19 MST Print View

I own a TT Contrail. In that tent the sleeper's head is at the tallest point in the tent...so you can actually sit up W/O moving your body.

In "The One" tent your head is at the LOWEST point of the tent. Hmmm... not to my liking.

Eric

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One" Video on 02/04/2008 17:43:36 MST Print View

But the Contrail weighs eight more ounces than this shelter. Glen - who is in the video - is a very tall man. Granted he isn't in a sleeping bag in the video but he seems to fit decently in it. I presume that this shelter won't be perfect for people not wanting to have sleeping bag rub on the inside of the shelter though - - that often seems the nature of this shape of shelter.

In terms of waterproofness of spinnaker vs. silnylon there is very little to worry about with spinnaker. The psi required to force water through any silicon impregnated fabric is quite high. Spinnaker also rules in it's lack of the sag-factor when wet.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
SMD 18 oz Double wall tent. on 02/04/2008 19:36:34 MST Print View

Speaking of small lightweight shelters. I was checking out Six Moon Designs site and found that Ron will soon be offering the Serenity NetTent as an inner mesh tent with floor for the Gatewood Cape.

Cape = 11 oz and NetTent = 7 oz for total of 18 oz. And, of course the cape can be your rain gear, too.

The One is very intriguing, however, if not a little pricey.

Ah! to save a few ounces- What Price?

-Mark

Edited by markhurd on 02/04/2008 19:38:20 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One on 02/04/2008 21:49:57 MST Print View

I believe that the video shows how to use the optional poles. They are inserted through guides, hence they are supported at four points along their length and not just "hanging out in the breeze" supported only at the top and bottom.

There are two poles - one in front and another in the rear.

Glen van Peske is 6 feet 3 inches tall so looking at the video you can properly guage how he fits in a 7 foot length.

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/04/2008 21:52:20 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
GG The One on 02/04/2008 22:52:51 MST Print View

Nice shelter.
Since the inevitable comparison with the Contrail has already started, I just like to point out a couple of things.
The One ( the The ONE ?) is lighter however effectively it is also shorter. Both are 84" long, except that both ends of the Contrail are vertical, the The One has a fairly acute ( read unusable space) angles.
Another point is the great pitch variation available with the Contrail. It can be set high for headroom and ventilation but can also have the fabric all around touching the ground (except the beak , it misses by about 1" ) and anywhere in-between.
This is pure conjecture, but I suspect that the Contrail will stand up better to cross winds.
Nevertheless, the lighter weight and non "elastic" fabric will appeal to some, and why not ?

Franco
At the end of the clip Glen sets up his shelter in about 25 sec,more than twice as fast as my Contrail World Record (58 sec) I must get a faster camera

Edited by Franco on 02/04/2008 23:26:00 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Gossamer Gear "The One on 02/05/2008 00:10:58 MST Print View

OK, Henry - maybe it's time for a spinnaker version of the Contrail.

Personally, I prefer the maximum peak heighth to be over my reclining head so I can just sit up in my sleeping bag and start cooking in the vestibule. That's one thing I miss when moving from my Contrail to my Double Rainbow.

Oh well, it's always too hot or too cold or too dry or too wet or too something else wherever I go. I've learned to suck it up and try not to complain too loudly. Doesn't always work.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
The One on 02/05/2008 09:04:45 MST Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/12/2013 08:45:12 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear "The One on 02/05/2008 10:44:12 MST Print View

> OK, Henry - maybe it's time for a spinnaker version of the Contrail.

I can only speculate what the fabric is in this Tarptent prototype photo, but it sure looks white like spinnaker to me.

Contrail Prototype

Edited by sharalds on 02/05/2008 10:44:52 MST.

Christopher Mills
(Hiker816) - MLife

Locale: Denver
Re: Re: Gossamer Gear "The One on 02/05/2008 10:52:03 MST Print View

>"I can only speculate what the fabric is in this Tarptent prototype photo, but it sure looks white like spinnaker to me."

The caption below that photo, or a similar one, on Ron Moak's blog said it was a prototype made from Tyvek. Apparently Henry brought it on a trip he took w/ Ron & GVP.

Edited by Hiker816 on 02/05/2008 18:35:02 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
GG's The One on 02/05/2008 16:59:37 MST Print View

Hi David
I had another look at the video, a 1 hour download on my dial up modem...., and you are correct, there is some vertical space at both ends.
I know that Glen uses his ThinLite mat but for the ones that use a thicker mat, particularly the tubular types like the MaxThermo , there would be not that much space above the head if you are of Glen's size . (could be ideal for me and I wish all of those abnormally long people would stop winging about tent sizes).
One point to consider is that most of the condensation comes from one's breath, so the closer your mouth is to the fabric, the more condensation you will have. However looks like there is plenty of ventilation there. Of course people will complain about the wind whistling through....
As far as rain is concerned, after my experience in Nepal where rain was thick,hard and lasted for hours, I really cannot see any problems with the Contrail. Never had snow on the Contrail but a layer of frost over it . Using my mid rear pole guyout it was still taut in the morning , so no sagging there. But it was not designed as a winter tent.
Franco
Congratulations to Brian Van Peski. Great production.Informative ,entertaining and nice close-ups.Still looks good on full screen.

I would like to point out, for the ones that don't already know, that since I use and like the Tarptents I am biased towards the brand ( really ?, no kidding !) but then again Glen would not sell the Squall Classic if he did not like it....
And, yes, I do think that the One could be THE ONE for many.But the year is young...

Edited by Franco on 02/05/2008 20:22:13 MST.

Glen Van Peski
(gvanpeski) - F - M

Locale: San Diego
Re: Why is the Pole Bowing? on 02/05/2008 21:29:45 MST Print View

This was an early prototype without the pole loops. --Glen

aaron eshelman
(djaaronreed) - MLife

Locale: Central Rockies
Availability on 02/08/2008 13:20:15 MST Print View

According to the website it's available on the 15th.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
MLD Superfly on 02/08/2008 19:31:27 MST Print View

We could also compare this to the MLD SuperFly with floor... which comes in at around 20 oz... but sleeps TWO! Not a "true" bathtub floor though. The only thing I'm not so sure about with the SuperFly is the idea of having those poles in the middle of my shelter. Would be awesome to have all that room though! That shelter is HUGE inside. No vestibule though. Which I guess is fine if you go with the floorless version... you can just keep your muddy shoes inside.

Anyway... for a full protection shelter... The One looks like it can't be beat. It does have those angled walls... but it's not as "bad" as the SMD designs with one pole inside to form a pyramid. With the two poles (on the outside... which I like) on The One... at least two of the four sides are vertical. With the SMD designs... all of the walls angle in.

Damn nice shelter. VERY tempting :)

Edited by davidlewis on 02/08/2008 19:33:39 MST.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Gatewood + Serenity? on 02/08/2008 19:42:09 MST Print View

WRT the post above about SMD offering the Gatewood with the Serenity bug tent... I assume you mean Ron's Serenity bug tent? How would that work... since the Gatewood is a pyramid and the Serenity is an extruded triangle? Will it be redesigned specifically for the Gatewood?

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Locale: North Carolina
Re: Gatewood + Serenity? on 02/08/2008 19:58:25 MST Print View

The Serenity NetTent is a new SMD product that's in the works and that's designed specifically for the Gatewood Cape. It was discussed in this recent thread:

SMD Gatewood Cape Bug Net

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

subject on 02/08/2008 20:02:52 MST Print View

Thanks Ernie! Ron maybe should have called it the Tranquility or something though so as not to confuse it with the MLD Serenity. Then again... I think MLD had the Serenity taken off the site for the past 2 years or so. They just put it back on the site recently.

Edited by davidlewis on 02/08/2008 20:06:03 MST.

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Locale: North Carolina
Re: Re: Gatewood + Serenity? on 02/08/2008 20:13:30 MST Print View

Yeah...two bug tents named Serenity made by two guys named Ron could prove to be very confusing! I didn't know that Ron Bell's Serenity Shelter was available again until your post sent me to check the MLD website.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear "The One on 02/08/2008 20:14:39 MST Print View

Hey Bob... WRT to a Spinnaker TarpTent... I don't know. I LOVE my Spinnaker gear as much as anyone else, but to me, TarpTent is like the Rolls Royce of UltraLight. Pure luxury. And still crazy light compared to mainstream gear. To me... a Spinnaker TarpTent wouldn't be a TarpTent. I think Henry is right to do his thing... keep the "luxury ultralight" niché and let MLD/GG/SMD battle it out for the title of lightest shelter, smallest pack, fabric most likely to be mistaken for rice paper... etc. LOL :)

Brian OKelly
(losthillsguy) - F
Who bought (the) one today? on 02/15/2008 18:20:54 MST Print View

OK, who bought (The) One today?
First day on sale.
Feb 15, 2008

Cameron Moeller
(Chimble) - F
Purchase. on 02/15/2008 19:46:24 MST Print View

One for me.

cameron.

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
I bought (The) One on 02/15/2008 20:40:28 MST Print View

*Raises hand*

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

The One on 02/15/2008 22:22:25 MST Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/12/2013 08:41:24 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Who bought (the) one today? on 02/15/2008 22:25:42 MST Print View

Gear sluts! Every one of you!

Brian OKelly
(losthillsguy) - F
What big hikes are you taking the one on? on 02/15/2008 23:28:28 MST Print View

So you guys that have (the) one, are you taking it on any BIG hikes this year? Where are we going to see them? :-)

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Nothing big on 02/16/2008 00:19:58 MST Print View

No BIG hikes. I'm going to be guiding in Denali this summer (Kantishna, at the end of the road) and taking this on weekend overnighters. I wanted something that was light, very weather resistant, and comfortable in the midst of killer mosquitoes, and decided this was worth the high price tag. The Contrail came in a very close second, but the weight difference (although slight when you add in the ground cloth, stuff sack, and stakes), side-entry, and lack of tiny poles to sink into soggy tundra won. A tarp and bivy would be a lot lighter, but the luxury/weight ratio of The One is too tempting!

Edited by milesbarger on 02/16/2008 00:22:14 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The One on 02/16/2008 04:50:19 MST Print View

I bought one, too. It was actually not a spur-of-the-moment purchase, though. Since 2003 I've shared discussions with Glen about shelter design and ideas for something like the One came up every now and then. As the Gossamer Gear website alludes to, the development of the One was a long, slow process that took many iterations to finally make it into something viable for commercial release.

I've had my eye on this type of design for a long time and even made several of my own similar designs prior to seeing the first prototypes of the One. I could never tweak the problems just right, though. I thought I found what I was looking for with the Rainbow (which is quite similar as a type of shelter), but I found a number of problems that didn't suit my needs (one of my ideas, the hiking pole grommets in the apex pole sleeve, was incorporated into the final Rainbow design).

I think the One does what I want a shelter to do, especially for summer alpine conditions. It is a very mature design (as most of the UL cottage gear designers will now be moving on to), based on the years of trial and error of earlier UL ideas. When I saw it I knew that it addressed just about every concern I have. The material is time-tested (and GRAY! One concern about the SpinnShelter, though not a big concern, was that it was white), the vestibule is big, it has a side entrance, a small footprint, is wind-shedding, doesn't have unnecessary weight by using a tent pole when I use hiking poles, has a bug screen and floor, uses a zipper for the door, and incorporates good venting. Until I have more experience with alpine tarping this is probably what I've been waiting for and I may never move beyond it. (being an architectural designer though, I'm bound to start seeking new solutions!). It is exactly what I would have wanted when I was in the Alps last year.

I've loved everything I've ever bought from early Glen van Peski gear and later Gossamer Gear and have never had any disappointments in any of the gear (except that the headroom of the SpinnShelter when in storm mode is way too low for comfort, but that's it). I fully expect the One to quickly become my favorite shelter.

Since ransacking for the last two months my apartment of all extraneous goods I'm down to three shelters (after having eight!!!). Now I need just two staple shelters: a good solo winter tent and yet something else to use with my wife. Does ANYONE have any experience with the GoLite Xanadu 1 ???

Edited by butuki on 02/16/2008 04:55:44 MST.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Nothing big on 02/17/2008 16:42:06 MST Print View

I agree with Miles... "The One" has probably the best "luxury to weight" ratio of any shelter I've ever seen. Very very tempting. Yes... there are lighter options... but those options are all more fussy to setup and leave you more cramped and less protected from bugs. "The One" is a winner. For sure. I may buy one and retire my SpinnShelter.

Chris Tarry
(christarry) - F

Locale: Williamsburg Brooklyn
RE: The One on 02/20/2008 08:32:02 MST Print View

Bought mine the day they came available! Using it for an 11day JMT through hike at end of July... there are four of us going, each person bought "The One" the day it came out! Just got the tracking number, should be here in a few days! Have a few trips planned to try it out over the next month or so here in NY, I'll try and post some arrival and unpacking pics.

Just joined the forum, hello everyone,

Chris

Cameron Moeller
(Chimble) - F
Tomorrow! on 02/20/2008 16:28:34 MST Print View

I also ordered mine the day they were put up for sale, and according to UPS, tomorrow it will arrive.

Cameron.

EDIT:

Its here! But no time to play with it... Stupid class.

Edited by Chimble on 02/21/2008 08:33:48 MST.

Paul Cronshaw
(beemancron) - F

Locale: Southwest US
My One Impressions on 03/09/2008 23:30:18 MDT Print View

An update on the One....

My life has been crazy for the last month. Springtime has arrived in Santa Barbara. The bees are finally on the move and swarming, I am building up my lost colonies. Unlike my bees and their plight with CDC, I suffered from a bad case of NDD = Nature Deficit Disorder!

So when the One arrived a couple of weeks ago, I had the perfect opportunity to cure my NDD, take two short overnight trips to one of my favorite campgrounds in the Los Padres Forest - Forbush Flats.

Prior to these trips, I reviewed the video of Glen Van Peski demonstrating how to set up the One:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/The_One.html

This video gave me the basic steps on setup, but there is nothing like a true life experience, so after two weekends of "playing" with the One, here is my setup:

The One and sleeping system

My impressions:

1. Lighter than my favorite Rainbow by approx. a pound.
2. Easy and quick to set up; I timed myself at 3 minutes. 
3. Uses two trekking poles for structural support (Works well with adjustable poles; ideal length is 125 cm but can work with 115 cm fixed lengths and slight modifications).
4. Very sturdy in wind, little noise if everything is cinched down and taut. 
5. Spacious feeling, ability to sit up in center.
6. Zippered entrance system is easy to get in and out, no obstruction from the off-set pole. 
7. Zippered vestibule is better than a velcro system; no sticking problems with bug mesh
8. Great ventilation system.
9. Nice to have added flashlight clip and accessory mesh bag.
10. Packs nicely in its spinnaker sack and fits horizontal in my Miniposa pack
11. Comes with a 2 pack medium Polycryo ground cloth, share one with a friend.

In addition, I tested a new sleeping system:

A Montbell 30 degree bag + Torsolite pad (10 oz) + shortened GG 1/4” Thinlight Insulation Pad (3 oz) .

The weight of the two sleeping pads is less than a Prolite 4 (17 oz). Their combined R value (3.5 + .90) is more than a Prolite 4 (3.2). Less weight with the same comfort; could make for a good winter pad system.

In addition, the Thinlight gives good adhesion to the One’s spinnaker floor, prevents the Torsolite from slipping around during a restless night, and provides some insulation under my legs.

An extra feature of this system: the Thinlight pad, folded in 5ths, provides support in my GG Miniposa. The Torsolite pad, folded in 4ths slips, into the pack’s interior hydration sleeve.

I love the Montbell Super Stretch bags! No claustrophobic feeling...

This tent and sleeping system will now be my choice of equipment when I do PCT section A in a couple of weeks and the JMT in July.

Beeman

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: My One Impressions on 03/11/2008 01:19:09 MDT Print View

Does anyone know if they'll be coming out with a "The TWO"?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

The Two on 03/11/2008 08:11:15 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/12/2013 11:49:38 MST.

Larry Risch
(dayhiker) - F
The TWO on 03/22/2008 12:57:51 MDT Print View

Something like the DUO for another say 4 oz (The Double Rainbow is 8 oz more than the Rainbow) would be nice!

I think the Rainbow and Double Rainbow with their poles would never be as light as this ONE, but then they wouldn't need trekking poles.

Zipper sounds nice, but I like the porch on the DR and not sure zippers would work that well with that, try switching in a storm for instance. Zipper would be more water proof?

16 oz even though it is smaller is tempting. Still I don't always use trekking poles, so it would be a special useage only.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: The TWO on 05/06/2008 18:32:56 MDT Print View

Any word on price and availability of the Cuban version? Not sure the price would be worth it for saving 4 oz... but I'd be curious to know.