Forum Index » GEAR » Don't do this to a hydration hose!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/26/2008 14:36:45 MST Print View

Last summer I got the brilliant idea of how I could save 0.1 oz by simply removing the neoprene insulation sleeve from my hydration hose! Now, this winter, I am hoping to have it inched back on the hose by next winter!! It just won't slide on! What a huge mistake!

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/26/2008 14:56:29 MST Print View

Try turing it inside out then install by reversing it onto the hose. Just an idea. I have never seen the insulation sleeve.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/26/2008 15:13:40 MST Print View

Richard,

Thanks but I tried that and it's just as difficult to turn that insulator inside-out.

This is definitely a case of pushing the envelope too far!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/27/2008 02:45:02 MST Print View

Hi Michael

> It just won't slide on! What a huge mistake!
You can NOT push it through. Just not possible. Do this instead.
Thread some cord through the neoprene insulation sleeve.
Tie one end to the end of the hose. You may need to sacrifice 1/4" of hose here for a good anchor.
Dust inside of neoprene with baby powder or talc.
PULL the hose through the neoprene sleeve.

Cheers
Roger

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
hydration hose insulation on 01/27/2008 21:15:40 MST Print View

I got the first 6 inches in by stuffing it, but then realized that I needed another technique. I figured out a great way to do it, which takes advantage of the flexibility of the insulation. I'll try to describe it here...
Put the first few inches on as above, then grab it with both hands. Squeeze tight on the tip of the hose, through the insulation, then squeeze loosely with the other hand. Stretch out the insulation (1/2" or whatever it will do) and then squeeze with the hand that was previously loose. Then loosen your grip with the other hand. Alternate back and forth by compressing and stretching the insulation and using this motion to either move the hose with it (stuffing) or let the hose slip inside (stretching). Once I got the hang of it, it took only a minute to do.

Jeremy Cleaveland
(jeremy11) - F

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus
Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/28/2008 07:14:00 MST Print View

cut a slit the length of the neoprene, then tape it back on the hose. of course that would add 0.314582 oz of weight in tape, and have a potential cold spot where the slit is....

bobby c
(bobbycartwright) - F

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!
perfect solution on 01/28/2008 07:18:14 MST Print View

Take sleeve in right hand, and tube in left. Walk ten feet due south, two feet due east. Open lid, extend arms and deposit in can. Close lid. Spend next three hours finding something better online.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Don't do this to a hydration hose! on 01/28/2008 10:01:02 MST Print View

can you rub liquid soap along the tube and slide it thru the neoprene? Similar to getting handlebar grips on bikes.

Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
hydration hoses on 01/28/2008 15:50:31 MST Print View

Use PAM spray for cooking. It works.