Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic? on 01/25/2008 09:54:35 MST Print View

While shopping for 5-toe liner socks I cam across Injinis, made of 75% bamboo fiber. Should I expect this to be terrible for hiking (like cotton), great (like synthetics), or somewhere in the middle? Any hard numbers? BPL test idea?

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic? on 01/25/2008 10:11:26 MST Print View

I own bamboo t-shirts. Both cotton blends and 100% bamboo.
Sorry to say it has simular properties as cotton regarding drying time. It does feel far nicer than cotton but is only good for the same uses as cotton Ive found.

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic? on 01/25/2008 10:13:30 MST Print View

I got a pair of the Injinji liners. I haven't done any real testing of them yet, just one day of casual wear.

They were very soft, but smelled bad by the end of the day, probably on par with cotton, and very unlike wool. This makes me skeptical of the claim I've seen about bamboo resisting bacteria.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to wear them for some short hikes.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
helios socks on 01/25/2008 10:47:28 MST Print View

The helios sock is using bamboo fiber along with a kitchen sink list or everything else known to man and woman alike.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Injinji Bamboo? on 01/25/2008 12:02:15 MST Print View

Injinji is making a Bambook sock now? Where'd you see that at? I knew that had a Wool / Synthetic blend but not Bamboo...

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic on 01/28/2008 18:58:54 MST Print View

I made a short (4 mile) hike to work today and wore the bamboo Injinji liners. After that, I think they are closer to cotton.

The walk in was fine, but after an hour in my office, my toes were feeling cold. The liners were still damp. I took them off and immediately felt warmer. They were still a bit damp after two hours. I've had better luck with Injinji's wool and Coolmax socks.

They might be good for warm dry weather, but I won't use them as general purpose liners.

As for the question of where to find them, REI has some on their site. I got mine from ZombieRunner.