Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
William's saddle NZ
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
William's saddle NZ on 01/23/2008 16:03:42 MST Print View

In the Arthur's pass region of the South Island. Nice weekend trip from Christchurch

The climb up from Edward's valley was HOT

william's climb

But it was worth it to get to the tarn and set up the Cloudburst 1

william's plus cloudburst

williams 2

The clouds kept us entertained all evening

>william's clouds

We awoke to clear, calm skies and found we were surrounded by sundews!

sundew field

single sundew

I was sorry to leave this little tarn, but we found my favourite purple mushroom on the way down

purple mushroom

I'm sure I'll be back to this cute little tarn.

Edited by retropump on 03/02/2008 11:06:20 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: William's saddle NZ on 02/23/2008 20:02:12 MST Print View

Great photos. I have never seen a purple mushroom...very cool! Wonderful campsite.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: William's saddle NZ on 02/24/2008 12:42:15 MST Print View

Yeah, I think this purple mushroom (Thaxterogaster porphyreus) is unique to NZ beech forest litter. At certain times of year it is quite common and easy to spot!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
"The clouds kept us entertained all evening" on 02/25/2008 02:54:51 MST Print View

A comment which may pass over the heads of Americans who don't know about New Zealand weather ...
Lovely photos though!

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
William's saddle on 02/25/2008 03:40:35 MST Print View

These lovely pictures make me want to go out and buy one of those nice looking Cloudbursts! Henry would probably appreciate a copy of that campsite for his website.

s k
(skots) - F
William's saddle NZ on 02/25/2008 06:53:12 MST Print View

Allison,

Seeing John's "William's Saddle" reference, I thought someone had posted about Williams Lake in Southern Colorado's Weminuche Wilderness. Wrong! And pleasantly so!
The view into the valley, long reflections, fragile patterns and features in the carpet, temptress clouds teasing their way past, and the light, and the light, and did I say light?
But for the world between, I'd go back too!
Thanks for posting.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
William's saddle NZ on 02/25/2008 14:54:32 MST Print View

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. NZ is a very special place.

What camera were you using?

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: William's saddle NZ on 02/28/2008 13:17:13 MST Print View

Roger

The camera is just a basic Optio S4, about 3 years old. The scenery is what made these photos, not the camera. I'm really disappointed in myself that I didn't take my camera for our climb into Gloriana in the Lewis Pass over the last few days. The weather and scenery really were "to die for"...

Here's a photo of Gloriana taken from Lewis Pass on another trip. It's the peak just to the right of middle.

lewis pass

Edited by retropump on 02/28/2008 13:18:43 MST.

Stuart Bilby
(StuBilby) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Purple mushrooms on 07/17/2008 02:48:25 MDT Print View

I have heard a cute story that the New Zealand purple mushrooms are magic and that if you see one you will find what you are looking for. So far when I have seen one I have been looking for the track, my friends or the way down. Nowadays when I am in purple mushroom country I try to be looking for true happiness and large diamonds.
Stu

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Purple mushrooms on 07/21/2008 19:45:23 MDT Print View

Ha, Stuart, you are Sooooo right. I am always looking for happiness, and finding a good specimen of a purple mushroom ALWAYS makes me happy...so they must be magic.

Daimonds, on the other hand, do nothing for me, though I've never found one while tramping :(