Multi-tool uses
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kenneth Reppart
(kreppart) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ultralight knives and other sharp things on 01/23/2008 21:53:54 MST Print View

Thanks Brian, I can't believe I never saw the Ultralight Knives and other sharp things article.

Edited by kreppart on 01/23/2008 21:55:07 MST.

Mike Hinsley
(ArchNemesis)

Locale: England, UK
Sliders and Zips on 01/24/2008 03:37:02 MST Print View

I have repaired broken zips in the field without using tools - just forcing the zips to reknit by hand. It's not a fun task.

If a zip has seriously broken in the field then what I have done in the past is sew that section of the zip closed and deal with it.

I generally try and avoid zips in high-stress applications such as luggage and tents.

On a trip to Iceland volcanic dust (which is everywhere) would happily destroy zips in days. Any exposed zip was a candidate for death.

If you are seriously worried about zips then pack a few buttons or toggles in with your sewing kit together with some thin para-cord. Then if you have serious zip issues you can still field-sew a safe and secure closure. At 1-2g per toggle it should fit in even a SUL pack ;-)

Michael B
(mbenvenuto) - F

Locale: Vermont
pliers on 01/24/2008 06:08:58 MST Print View

I have fixed zips by squeezing them with pliers. I wouldn't carry pliers on a trip to deal with this remote possibility though. I don't think I need pliers or would carry them on a backpack trip, but do carry them when weight matters less (paddling) or if I am fishing, or if I am skiing and may need to fix something there. I use the tiny light scissors in my med kit if I need scissors.

I do like having a real knife though, and to me, if you are going to actually use the knife blade, having the blade lock is a very important safety feature. A weakness of the knife blade on most of the multi tools is that they don't lock, or they lock poorly. Currently, I have the SAK one handed trekker, which has a large locking blade. I also really like having the saw if I may make a fire, and the OHT has a great saw.

Ed Huesers
(iglooed) - MLife
Re: pliers on 01/24/2008 06:33:38 MST Print View

Pliers work good for crushing that ice stuck in your mustache instead of letting it melt and drip on your clothing.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: SOG Crossgrip on 01/24/2008 07:25:24 MST Print View

THAT's the one I've seen before and thought would make a good pot gripper...

Kenneth Reppart
(kreppart) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: SOG Crossgrip on 01/24/2008 13:12:32 MST Print View

SOG also sells replacement scissors for their knives for $8.

SOG scissor replacement

Edited by kreppart on 01/24/2008 13:14:29 MST.