Forum Index » GEAR » The most compressible down layer

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
The most compressible down layer on 01/18/2008 23:58:59 MST Print View

What is the most compressible down layer (jacket or vest) that you are aware of?

I am a beginning snowshoer, hiking in New England-type conditions. I was thinking that I could throw on this layer to keep warm during extended rest stops.

Most down jackets that I am aware of compress down to the size of a pillow (or larger). Is there something that would compress to a smaller size (and weight)? Would a down vest be recommended over the jacket?

Thanks.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: The most compressible down layer on 01/19/2008 04:38:53 MST Print View

check out montbell.com

their down clothing is very light and compressible

R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
hmm on 01/19/2008 07:24:49 MST Print View

Most down jackets I am familiar with easily compress to a size significantly smaller than a pillow--grapefruit size is more like it for some. The WM Flight or Nunatak Skaha STUFF down to the size of two grapefruits, for example. Put them in a compression sack and a 6" x6" x 7" ball is what you get. A comparable down vest would generally stuff down to a smaller size. For instance, a TNF Nuptse vest I have stuffs into its own pocket, which is about 9" x 5" x 6". I'd think that any down jacket made of UL materials and using high f.p. down would have a small compressed size.

I think you'd better be more specific, though. The down jackets I am referring to above are summer-three season appropriate, and while they'd certainly help on a snowshoeing day hike, they are not winter jackets and will not cut it in sub zero conditions. Maybe take a look at the Feathered Friends Volant jacket or Frontpoint jacket. I have a Frontpoint in Flite nylon and although its stuffed size is about 16" x 8" x 8", it compresses to about half that size.

Edited by beenay25 on 01/19/2008 07:30:06 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: compressable down layers on 01/19/2008 15:13:06 MST Print View

"I was thinking that I could throw on this layer to keep warm during extended rest stops"

If you truly want some people to recomend some jackets, I think it would be best to give some temperature ranges and anticipated weather.

The "most compressible down jacket" will be the one with the least/lightest material and least down. I have 3 down jackets and while my montbell half sleeve weighs about 7 oz and compresses to the size of an apple, it is far from being acceptable for a Canadian winter. My TNF Prism tips the scale at 26 oz, but can be worn at any temp my winter throws at me.

Edited by Steve_Evans on 01/19/2008 15:13:59 MST.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Down layer temp range on 01/19/2008 16:16:45 MST Print View

I was thinking of something to wear when the temp is at freezing (0 deg C) and below (-10/15 deg C).

Thanks for the prompt.