NIDO Dry Whole Milk Can - Super Size
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
NIDO Dry Whole Milk Can - Super Size on 01/18/2008 18:23:16 MST Print View

I use NIDO dry whole milk (fat left in) vs liquid milk. The small light steel can that it comes in is useful for many things - think wood stove. I was in my local Wal Mart a couple of nights ago and they now sell a super size can of Nido. The big can (also light steel) is almost 9 inches tall and 6 inches across. I bought one as it is a little cheaper per ounce to buy the Nido in the larger amount. The large can holds about 4 pounds of the dry milk mix.

The small Nido can weighs:
with lid - 83.2 grams - 2.93 ounces.
without lid - 77.2 grams - 2.72 ounces.

The large Nido can weighs:
with lid - 277.9 grams - 9.80 ounces.
without lid - 264.0 grams - 9.31 ounces.

I am now thinking about what kind of backpacking gear I can turn this big can into.

- My first though is a larger wood stove on legs (titanium tent stakes) that might also provide a bit of heat.

- Next might be a typical can style wood stove for a small group.

- Another thought is a food container to keep small rodents out of my food. It will never be a bear canister but might be mice proof.

There must be many other things this large can could be turned into - what are your thoughts?

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: NIDO Dry Whole Milk Can - Super Size on 01/20/2008 00:05:23 MST Print View

Hey Bill,

My thoughts:

1. It's steel and not stainless so it will rust, right? So, you probably couldn't use it as a pot???

2. Rodent protection is a good idea but you would probably have to replace the plastic lid. I think they'd chew right through it.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
NIDO Dry Whole Milk Can - Super Size on 01/20/2008 12:38:42 MST Print View

I aggre with your comment about the plastic lid.

How about a 1.04 ounce aluminum lid? I cut the lid out of some thin sheet aluminum that I have.

I am thinking about attaching some small metal loop things like are found on some boots for the laces or something like you hang a picture on the wall with. I have both and will check the weigh of them before I decide which I want to try. The loops on the top would tie to something like small size bradded wire or something like that and then attach to a set of loops on the bottom to secure the lid.

You might be able to cook in this can a few times ??? and then just replace it when it gets nasty.

Since I am now on a total liqued diet I don't cook food when hiking. I do like a warm drink when it is cold / cool out.

I am going to work on the "stove" idea and see where that goes. The stove would be more for melting snow for water or to make a bit of heat.

Edited by bfornshell on 01/20/2008 12:41:16 MST.