Locale: South Texas
Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top on 01/15/2008 20:30:51 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top

Steven Bergeron
(TheTurk)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top on 01/18/2008 13:16:09 MST Print View

(Curious, no responses to this article so far.)

Roger,

Thanks for a very detailed write up on how you made your shell top! I'm only about half way through a thorough read of it but I really appreciate all of the effort you put into it.

I was really surprised at how simple and adaptable the design is. All very encouraging to someone new to MYOG.

Steve

Patricia Combee
(Trailfrog) - F

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call
Shell Top, MYOG on 01/19/2008 09:16:50 MST Print View

Nice plans. I just may have to give this a try! If I am brave and make a shell top, I will post the results of my efforts, even if they are feeble results. Actually, the plans look pretty straight forward, so even a sewing challenged person such as myself might be able to make a decent top. Thanks much for all your work putting this together.

Bruce McMillan
(BruceMcMillan) - F
Make your own on 01/19/2008 09:58:20 MST Print View

Thanks, a much appreciated design. One that I'm going to use.

Neil Bender
(nebender) - F
MYO shell tops on 01/19/2008 11:18:06 MST Print View

Rogers plans are optimized for ease of construction and could just as easily be applied to lighter weight fabric for a windshirt.

Something I've had good luck with for closer fitting wind shirts and pants for climbing is cutting the material on the bias. This gives woven materials some stretch, though not as much as you get from lycra or stretch woven materials which can be added as side or under arm panels or crotch gussets. But it is enough stretch to tailor the pattern for a closer fit that doesn't snag or flap in high winds as much.

This requires a pattern with smaller parts than Roger's monolithic design because the pattern must lay diagonally across the grain of the material. Bias cutting also wastes more material. I usually rip apart and old shirt or jacket to get patterns.

Just something to consider. Another option is sewing reinforcing or wear patches on commercial wind shirts or windbreakers. Starting out with a generic discount store article and modifying it is another way to get into MYOG sewing projects. Be warned, if you get the bug, you will wind up with a collection of fabric for future projects.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Shell Top, MYOG on 01/19/2008 14:43:45 MST Print View

Hi Patricia

> so even a sewing challenged person such as myself might be able to make a decent top.
The bits around the zippers are the tricky bits. You could always leave the front pocket out the first time if you have pockets in your trousers.

The hood pattern is a little tricky, but play around with some newspaper. Slight 'errors' don't matter anyhow!

cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: MYO shell tops on 01/19/2008 14:45:02 MST Print View

> Be warned, if you get the bug, you will wind up with a collection of fabric for future projects.
Oh dear yes.
I almost have enough to start a web store!
But I need it all ... :-)

Patrick Tobin
(patobin) - F

Locale: Mid-South
Great Design! on 01/22/2008 05:29:36 MST Print View

Thanks so much for the wind shirt design. With this and the trousers pattern/info it will make a great combo. BPL, any possibility you could combine these 2 together in a PDF with PDF printable patterns (Kinkos etc:) and offer it for sale? Keep 'em coming. All I need now is a little (or a LOT) of time to get sewing. 3 projects and counting.
Pat

Roger Caffin

Re: Great Design! on 01/22/2008 15:01:01 MST Print View

Hi Patrick

PDF - dunno right now. The team is all geared up for the OR show. We will see what options are there.

But I made my patterns on the plastic film after doing the designs, as shown, on the screen. There IS the same info in the articles as I used to make my full-sized patterns. Get some clear builders plastic, spread it out, and have a go with a straight edge, a tape measure and a marker. You have nothing to lose.

cheers

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top on 03/21/2009 06:40:43 MDT Print View

Roger, why lycra cuffs? I am ordering the materials and I am not sure about lycra. Wouldnt velcro like in silnylon poncho be a better choice for ventilation?

Also, how do you punch?

Edited by huzefa on 03/21/2009 06:47:32 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top on 04/04/2009 14:58:26 MDT Print View

Why Lycra for the cuffs?

Because it is stretchy and elastic. I can adjust the length of the Lycra to have the cuff neatly around my wrist while allowing enough stretch to push the sleeves up my arms.

The alternative is flat elastic or round hat elastic (1 mm). But my experience with both of those is that the light rubber in them perishes when in contact with my skin (sweat) for long periods - after a couple of years.

I did not want a tight closure with Velcro tabs as on the Poncho. Too constraining, and too bulky.

Btw: Velcro cuffs are used on quite a few similar items: it was not an original idea.

Cheers

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Shell Top on 04/04/2009 20:51:59 MDT Print View

Thanks.

What about a shock cord? It will be lighter and even less bulky then lycra. Any reason it wouldnt work?

You missed my other question. How do you punch?

Edited by huzefa on 04/04/2009 20:52:46 MDT.