Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Did I miss Tater Tuesday?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Did I miss Tater Tuesday? on 01/15/2008 16:41:15 MST Print View

Hey - where is today's tater recipe? Sarah where are you?

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 14:13:56 MST Print View

Laurie - I've got her figured out. She posts on her own freezerbagcooking.com website first. I checked there last night, and sure enough!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 14:27:31 MST Print View

I did get it up - just not here ;-) My excuse is my dental appts are killing me! I am getting braces on in less than a week so it has been visit after visit getting everything done.

So yeah, expect a LOT of mashed potato recipes in the near future ;-)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 14:39:27 MST Print View

sorry - I'll have to remember to check the blog (I should actually just subscribe to the feed)

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 15:42:02 MST Print View

Sarah, if I may make a suggestion .... consider adding "yields x.y cups" in addition to "serves n" at the end of your recipes.

Early on I packed meals for a remote week long trip with mid-teen boys trusting recipe comments like "a meal in itself" etc .... we had no resupply options.

This ended up being a pretty substantial menu but it still was not enough to satisfy these kids ("I only eat one meal a day, it starts when I wake and ends when I fall asleep!)

On the other extreme, a similar menu for a group of 7 youngish scouts on a less strenuous itinerary had 1/3 uneaten at the end of the trip.

That's a long way of saying "ya just can't win" ... but having quantitative serving sizes improves the odds.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 15:47:25 MST Print View

And a question. Would "burger rocks" (dehydrated cooked burger) work OK where you specify flavored TVP?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/16/2008 16:07:49 MST Print View

Yes, hamburger gravel works perfectly :-) The "Beef" TVP looks just like as well. Same size, etc.

Sizes....you have a good point. I will start measuring out the finished meals :-) The soups are easy to do (2 cups water? Big bowl). I have been trying in the past year or so to have all the recipes uniform in how much starch is added (1 cup rice, 3/4 cup dry potatoes, etc). Still, my meal size is not the meal size of a grown man I can tell you that! (My son at 10 eats nearly twice as much as me now.....)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday on 01/17/2008 05:01:17 MST Print View

I know this was directed at Sarah but this is good information for me as well. You bring up a good point and I should have done that with A Fork in the Trail. The meals in that book are on the hearty side and I used ranges to reflect appetite differences. That said when cooking the food prior to dehydration you can get a feel for the serving sizes anyway - still having that listed would be a great help.

It is a great idea Jim - thanks for mentioning it. Perhaps I can add this to the website at a later date.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 01/17/2008 05:02:45 MST.