Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help me choose a sleeping insulation system
Display Avatars Sort By:

Locale: Greater Gila
Help me choose a sleeping insulation system on 01/12/2008 21:27:58 MST Print View

This will be for the PCT, starting in socal.

Clothing worn to bed in either situation:

-TiGoat Bivy
-GG Torso length 3/4" sleeping pad
-L/S Capilene 1 shirt also worn while hiking
-Capilene 1 bottoms
-Golite windshirt
-fleece beanie
-Buff around neck
-Coolibar gloves

Insulation options:

A) Arc Alpinist quilt
B) JRB Shenandoah (~45*) quilt with WM Flight jacket

I'm thinking that the amount of insulation in both systems will be about the same. I like the second setup a bit more because it gives me insulation to wear around camp. The only downside is that I worry I will lose insulation fairly quickly when putting on the jacket while my only shirt is sweaty and dirty. i suppose frequent washings may be necessary. Then again, I could always wrap the Arc Alpinist around my torso for warmth, but that's no fun when doing chores around camp...

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Quilt question on 01/13/2008 07:23:36 MST Print View

Since you talk of wearing the quilt in option two.... Do you mean the JRB Stealth vs the listed JRB Shenandoah? Virtually the same weight.

Locale: Greater Gila
JRB Shenandoah on 01/13/2008 10:35:49 MST Print View

No, the quilt I have is definitely the Shenandoah, not the Stealth. The Shenandoah isn't exactly wearable. In that setup, I'd be wearing the WM jacket. My idea of 'wearing' a quilt (ie wrapping it around me) would just be with the Arc Alpinist, since I wouldn't have another insulating layer to wear around camp.