Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Katadyn Micropur Users
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Water taste.... on 01/16/2008 16:02:45 MST Print View

I hike a lot in Southern Utah, and when you drink out of a river filled with sand, it's nice to taste anything other than grit. I didn't realize how light the Micropur was - I'm going to have to give it a try.

Would Vitamin C get rid of it or does that only work for Iodine?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Water taste.... on 01/18/2008 23:27:25 MST Print View

Vit C only works for iodine as far as I knows.

E. H. Clemmons
(sclemmons) - MLife
Micropur on 01/20/2008 12:03:25 MST Print View

Couple of ideas:

I bought some Micropur and then realized they also make Micropur Forte also in a tablet form. Forte seems to call for only 30 minutes. Has anybody tried both?

We used one or the other at Philmont for running water. Also used Aqua Mira. I think the taste is about the same. Lots of the water we saw needed filtering because it came out of a static collection vessel, like a trough or rain barrel.

The chlorine reaction will challenge a PET waterbottle, if you are reusing the bottles that commercial bottled water comes in, or using gator ade or cranberry juice bottles. You can feel the chemical reacting with the bottle and causing it to deteriorate. I never see this with Aqua Mira but I do with Micropur.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Forte on 01/20/2008 16:24:34 MST Print View

> Forte seems to call for only 30 minutes. Has anybody tried both?

I have used Forte quite a bit as it's the one I can get locally (MP1 chlorine dioxide tablets are not available and apparently it's not a distribution issue. It seems Micropur serves different products to different countries).

Forte used to be calciumhypochlorite, now changed to Sodiumdichlorisocyanurate (NaDCC), whatever that is, and claims (as per instructions in the box) 30 min for bacteria and virus and 2 hr for giardia and amoeba. Actually, the active ingredients in MP1 are apparently similar, Sodium Chlorite and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate, how these combine to produce chorine dioxide, I don't know and what's the output of the Forte formulation, I don't know either.

I've never got sick after using Forte but I've never got sick anyway from backcountry water.

Edited by inaki on 01/20/2008 16:39:13 MST.