Forum Index » GEAR » Mountain Hardwear Stilleto?

Display Avatars Sort By:
aaron eshelman
(djaaronreed) - MLife

Locale: Central Rockies
Mountain Hardwear Stilleto? on 01/05/2008 19:40:45 MST Print View

So, it's been mentioned in other forums that the new Mountain Hardwear Stilleto 1 could replace the BA SL1? I looked the specs on REI.com and it looks pretty good. Quick opinions -

Good:
2.5 lbs (definitely trimmable). Double wall, plenty of mesh for breathability. Better headroom (one wall slopes, but the other takes the arc of the pole). Only 2 stakes needed for an easy pitch? Less stakes needed for a stable wind pitch. Looks possible, but hard to say. Better shaped vestibule for storage/cooking/etc. with the center pole arc. Good interior length for sleeping. Better shape for wind. Three pole setup will probably be a little stronger for better longevity?

Bad: $325 dollars!! Could almost buy 2 of any other tent!
Definitely not freestanding, but the SL1 needs a few more stakes for a true shaped pitch. Really thin width for sleeping/living. Really small interior, about equal to the Hubba, but much smaller than the SL1.

Can't think about much more, but interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Edited for Price! Wow!

Edited by djaaronreed on 01/06/2008 16:31:48 MST.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Mountain Hardwear Stilleto? on 01/06/2008 12:58:40 MST Print View

I haven't seen the Stilleto but based on the specs I think the interior size of the Seedhouse still makes it a winner. I have a seedhouse and the shoulder width is what really sold me on this tent. The seedhouse is almost as wide at the head end as most 2 man UL tents (the Seedhouse SL2 is only 9" wider at the head end than the SL1). I'd have a hard time going back to a narrow solo tent because I've found I really use the space down the sides for stowing gear. My next tent will probably be one of the lighter/larger tarp tents.