Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB (Or Trade For) a UL Tarp or Poncho-Tarp

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve McQueen
(cpholley) - F

Locale: Minnesota Transplant
WTB (Or Trade For) a UL Tarp or Poncho-Tarp on 01/05/2008 08:51:01 MST Print View

Just looking to see if anyone has an extra tarp layin' around. I can go Paypal for the right one, or can offer trade. I have a Granite Gear Virga, lightly used, but never by me. Shows no wear whatsoever. Size Long.

virga

This is the pack for the person who lives and breathes ultralight. Titanium tool spoons, Sil nylon tarps—you know who you are! You’ve spent a considerable sum getting your pack weight down to 20 pounds. Now the good news—your ideal pack is only $100 bucks! The nylon shell gains support and rigidity from your sleeping pad—simply drop in a rolled pad and let it uncoil to push against the bag, and pack your gear inside the roll. The Virga has fixed (not interchangeable), nicely padded shoulder straps and a 1.5” webbing hip belt that adjusts to fit most hips. The Virga had the highest score in BACKPACKER’S “Superlight Smackdown,” August 2003.

Gear Junkie "Greatest Gear of 5 Years"
click to read the review

Sizes: short / regular / long
Weight: 1 lbs. 3 oz.
Cubes: 3200
Colors: Sulpher/Indigo (all sizes) and
Golden Brown/Black (regular torso only)
Price: $110 (retails)

jason leggiere
(jayleg) - F
Howabout a Gatewood Cape (FS) on 01/05/2008 09:45:17 MST Print View

I have an SMD Gatewood Cape that has never been used, not even set up nor seam sealed. Brand new carbon fiber pole too. I bought it for my wife and son back when it would have been possible for them to both fit under one. Unfortunately my son grew some 18" in about a month last year and now it's too late for that. It is a fantastic shelter/rain "cape" (see here: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45)
It is my shelter of choice for solo trips.
I'll send you the Gatewood for $100. The Gatewood and pole for $120 shipped to CONUS. Paypal preferred (already have a Virga, thanks)
p.s.(you'll need 6 stakes)

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Granite Gear Tarp on 01/05/2008 10:55:51 MST Print View

I have a Granite Gear Lightning 8'x10' tarp that I've used once that I'd be willing to let go of for $100. Here's the link:

http://www.granitegear.com/products/tarps/white_lightnin/index.html

frank martin
(sriprank) - F

Locale: NORCAL
"WTB (Or Trade For) a UL Tarp or Poncho-Tarp" on 01/05/2008 17:50:11 MST Print View

I have an Integral Designs Poncho Tarp used for one season.

I think it is the older style. $45.00 shipped

Also I have a Gossamer Gear SpinTwin if you are looking for something bigger for your wife and son. This was only used one night and is the original white with the tie-out cord but no storage bag.

$125 shipped but would knock off $7.00 for combined shipping if someone wanted both.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: WTB (Or Trade For) a UL Tarp or Poncho-Tarp on 01/05/2008 21:06:19 MST Print View

I'll send you a JRB "8x8" silnylon tarp for $65 shipped. Paypal please. Let me know!

Steve McQueen
(cpholley) - F

Locale: Minnesota Transplant
ID on 01/06/2008 12:48:46 MST Print View

Wow...lots of great options...thanks so much!

Hey Frank, is your ID poncho-tarp the Sil Poncho as listed on their site?

Still hoping someone is lookin to trade for the Virga, but don't mind buyin one of these either...

Edited by cpholley on 01/06/2008 12:49:32 MST.

frank martin
(sriprank) - F

Locale: NORCAL
"WTB (Or Trade For) a UL Tarp or Poncho-Tarp" on 01/06/2008 13:34:56 MST Print View

I think they may have updated this model in 2007.

I haven't been following the changes but I'm sure someone here knows. It couldn't be too much different.

This has about 12 tiedowns and shockcord hood and shock cord running through the poncho. There are two snaps that close up the arms when using as a poncho. The shockcord lets you adjust the tarp without getting out of your bag. Also you can loop the barrel locks together when it is windy.

I did the JMT with it and is a great piece of gear.

I have this one and an Equinox. This is better engineered than the Equinox although the Equinox is bigger. Also I did a really ugly homemade seamseal job on the Equinox and really don't want anyone to see it:).

frank