Things not to do: $
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Things not to do: $ on 01/04/2008 08:15:04 MST Print View

I made the mistake of having a cost column in my gear spreadsheet. I highly recommend against this.

Ugh.

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
RE: "Things not to do: $" on 01/09/2008 14:43:55 MST Print View

Just like restoring a car, keep all your receipts but never add them up.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/10/2008 17:12:21 MST Print View

How about always buying your gear on sale and then only keeping track of how much you saved?

Pretty soon you'll be able to show that you make more than you spend. I believe this is called creative accounting and is practiced throughout the world in public and private organizations.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/10/2008 18:12:06 MST Print View

Or do the same but make your own gear. I made what is essentially a JRB Hudson River quilt about a year ago and the total cost was $111.00. Compare that to the $219.95 you would pay for it at JRB and I know it put a smile on my face.

Adam

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/10/2008 18:21:45 MST Print View

The hardest part is keeping the $ amount hidden from my wife.

Tony

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Keeping Track of Unused Gear on 01/10/2008 19:59:42 MST Print View

To me, the real scare is the price tag on ALL THE GEAR that we've ever purchased -- but don't really use!

Jeremy Cleaveland
(jeremy11) - F

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus
Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/10/2008 21:12:00 MST Print View

yeah, when I make my own gear, I consider myself "paid" for the savings off the retail version. for example, my 15 deg down quilt: about $160 in materials, plus labor, or the Nunatak version for about $360... I just earned $200!! add up all my DIY projects, plus backpacking guiding pay (which is quite small...) and there is a hope that my "income" from backpacking might not be too much below my expenses. But not knowing is for the better. Whatever it costs, it's worth it for the experience of the wilderness.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/11/2008 07:10:38 MST Print View

>>> "plus labor" ... for DIY

How much are we worth for an hour of DIY labor? Does it vary? Sewing fabric versus punching holes in cans or designing new gear. Also would it be a different labor rate based on country of origin.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/11/2008 11:22:01 MST Print View

Jeremy you earned more than $200 since the extra $200 to buy the Nunatak would have been after tax dollars.

Probably closer to a $300 pre-tax bonus since the $200 would be after fed withholding + state withholding + social security + medicare was taken out.

Good job earning the bonus ;-)

Tim Hollingworth
(TimH.) - F

Locale: Northwest Georgia
Pay with Cash on 01/15/2008 21:16:39 MST Print View

If your hiding things from your wife, you got a bigger problem than how much money you spend.

Save up for what you want and pay cash.

Spending more than $100 becomes an emotional experience when you actually have to reach in your pocket and hand someone large numbers of green rectangles. It really makes you think twice, do the research and ensure you are getting the right product before you buy.

Too easy to make quick descisions, pay with plastic and then find out that you have four sleeping bags hanging, three of which you wish you had never purchased.

-Tim-

Jeremy Cleaveland
(jeremy11) - F

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Things not to do: $ on 01/15/2008 22:14:44 MST Print View

Steve, excellent point. the savings certainly should be considered non-taxable income! Same with buying used and on sales or other deals, the savings is all considered non taxable income to help me feel better about my minimally paying job...

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re:Pay with Cash on 01/16/2008 14:40:40 MST Print View

"If your hiding things from your wife, you got a bigger problem than how much money you spend."

I have been happily married for nearly 27 years and I can tell you Tim amongst other things a good sense of humour is important.

Tony

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Best thing you can do: on 01/16/2008 17:44:32 MST Print View

In a marriage agree to not talk about certain things. Hence, if he wants something and we can afford it, then that is fine. Same with me.
If I tell him I "need" a new pack then he sees what he can do. Just like how he "needs" a new computer, laptop, etc.

We don't often fight over that side of money. And yes, getting a good deal is part of our deal - never pay retail if we don't have to!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Relax on 01/17/2008 03:30:26 MST Print View

Tom,
Just remember that most don't get the Aussie sense of humor.

To the non Aussie.
That quip from Tom is not meant to state a fact, it just sounds funny and that is why we say things like that...
Franco

Edited by Franco on 01/17/2008 03:41:36 MST.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Relax on 01/17/2008 06:56:51 MST Print View

I vividly recall in my early school years in the US, trembling as my teacher warned of about "a continent down under with strange flora and fauna" and "an escaping Papillon". We learned that it was a land of many evil things, but it was never funny. In later years, there was talk of a preemptive strike, however, our geography skills were not keen enough to find the continent. A recent poll showed that in the US, 68% claim it does not really exist and 89% do not believe in kangaroos. This poll was taken at Outback Steakhouse.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Saying Stupid - Er I Mean Funny Things on 01/17/2008 13:46:33 MST Print View

Regional differences aside, funny things are often funny because they are delivered with facial expressions, intonations, etc. Obviously, we don't have that on a forum, which is why most all forums compensate by offering a small collection of icons. But BPL falls short here as well. Indeed, the lack of icons is the ONLY reason why I haven't re-upped my subscription!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
High Anxiety On The Trail on 01/18/2008 11:28:28 MST Print View

>>> But BPL falls short here as well. Indeed, the lack of icons is the ONLY reason why I haven't re-upped my subscription!

A recent study showed that clowns are not funny, but are actually scary to kids. Google it if you doubt it.

Following this lead, I suspect that the lack of icons on BPL is to reduce our anxiety. What anxiety?

While backpacking:

Getting wet when it's cold
Waking up due to a strange noise
Thinking too much about the water you've drank
Seeing a really large mass of bear p00p
and/or bear tracks
Miles later realizing you've left or lost one or more gloves, poles, etc

What else cause anxiety on the trail?

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Anxiety on the Trail on 01/18/2008 11:40:51 MST Print View

Other sources of anxiety on the trail?

How about anxiety "off" the trail, as in:

"Now, where did that darn trail disappear to? I know it was here the last time I looked."

JRS